When staff outgrew the municipal buildings at Edmonds and Kingsway, a debate erupted over where to build a new municipal hall. North Burnaby residents argued against the Kingsway and Edmonds site as it was too removed for their needs, but South Burnaby residents were not prepared to accept a hall in North Burnaby. The debate was finally resolved when it was suggested that the new civic centre for the municipality be in the exact geographic centre of Burnaby. Fortunately, this meant that the new hall was to be built near Deer Lake, in the beautiful Central Valley setting. Burnaby voters accepted this decision and approved the $625,000.00 it would take to build the new structure and the official opening ceremony was held June 22, 1956 when then Reeve Charles MacSorley received the keys to the hall from the contractor.