Douglas Road was built between 1862-1865 by the Royal Engineers based in New Westminster. Originally known as the Douglas Street Trail, it took its name from Governor James Douglas. In 1926 a new connection was made to reach Grandview Road in Vancouver at Boundary Road. To distinguish this new highway it was renamed the Grandview Highway and it became commonly known as the combined Grandview-Douglas Highway until 1968 when the Burnaby and New Westminister sections were renamed Canada Way, in recognition of Canada's Centennial in 1967. The old part of Douglas Road north of Sprott Street remained intact.