The Douglas Road School was originally established as a two-room school in 1908 on this site, and later expanded to four classrooms. Anticipating rapid settlement of this district, the School Board purchased two acres adjoining the old building. Two of the four rooms were designed to become one large auditorium suitable for special events and public gatherings, with seating for two hundred people. The classically-influenced school has been altered with new windows and extended with additional wings, but has retained its original red-brick veneer, tan-brick quoins and bellcast octagonal roof ventilator. Designed by McCarter & Nairne, the school was built by contractor A.S. Perry. McCarter & Nairne, who also designed the Second Street School, were the Burnaby School Board architects at this time. John Y. McCarter (1886-1981) and George Nairne (1884-1953) formed their partnership in 1921 after serving overseas during the First World War. The partners began designing houses and small apartment buildings, and their commissions included Vancouver’s first skyscraper, the Marine Building (1928-30).