When New Westminster was chosen as the first site for the capital city of British Columbia in 1859, Colonel R.C. Moody developed a plan to defend the city from American attack by building a road to connect New Westminster to the Burrard Inlet. Although an attack never came, North Road became a well-used route for citizens in the capital city who travelled the road to enjoy a picnic at the beach or to board a ferry for the city of Port Moody. The road's route over the mountain remained in use until the 1960s, when this section was closed to traffic. North Road is the oldest road in the Lower Mainland.