With the increasing settlement on the south slope between Kingsway and Marine Drive following World War Two, the old two-room school of Riverway East was considered inadequate so in 1948, the Clinton Elementary School opened. Clinton was to be the prototype of post-war elementary schools in Burnaby. It had no basement, no second storey and no high stairways. Classrooms were built in line and easily added as needed. Clinton had additions in 1950, 1951, 1957, 1964, 1965, 1967 and 1973.