North Burnaby’s first park began its life as the Capitol Hill subdivision during the land boom of 1909. In 1914 the boom went bust and many owners of unoccupied lots failed to pay the property taxes owing and the land became the property of the Municipality of Burnaby. By 1922, Burnaby had so many lots that it decided to reserve land for future park use and dedicated a narrow 26 acre site adjacent to the ravine. During the 1920s, the Heights area boomed again and many new residents wanted a playground for their children. A local women’s group took on the cause and enlisted local residents and businesses to raise the necessary funds. On June 25, 1927 crowds gathered to officially dedicate “Confederation Park” named in honour of the Diamond Jubilee of Canada’s Confederation (1867-1927).