This house is one of two surviving houses built as a “Model Home” for the manager of the Barnet Lumber Company, which was the successor to the North Pacific Lumber Company. It was used as a combined home and office. It was constructed with framing lumber and millwork sawn at the mill. Typical of the Craftsman style, the house has a front gabled roof with triangular eave brackets. It has been altered with the addition of asbestos shingles over the original siding, but retains its form, scale and massing.
This house was designed by the firm of Townley & Matheson. The partnership of Fred Laughton Townley (1887-1966) and Robert Michael Matheson began in 1919, and the firm left a rich legacy of sophisticated work, including schools, commercial structures, many fine residences and the landmark Vancouver City Hall.