This church replaced the first Vancouver Heights Presbyterian Church, which opened in 1911 and later became the Masonic Hall. This site was purchased in 1928, but the new church was not completed until 1930, due to the financial constraints of the Depression era. B.C. Lieutenant-Governor Bruce dedicated the church on Feb. 16, 1931. The building has retained its Classical Revival form and detailing, including its symmetrical design, columns flanking the recessed main entrance and arched windows with keystone detailing. The Vancouver Heights Presbyterian Church was designed by Australian-born architect H.H. Simmonds (1883-1954). After serving in the First World War, Simmonds resumed his local practice, and even during the Depression, his output remained prolific. In the 1920s and 30s, Simmonds was commissioned by the City of Vancouver to replace several pavilions at the Pacific National Exhibition with a consistent grouping of Art Deco buildings including the surviving Livestock Building (1929), Women and Fine Arts Building (1931) and Forum (1933).