This church was one of the first built in North Burnaby to serve the new community of Vancouver Heights. Designed by architect Frank Barrs and constructed by local builders, Arthur England and Mr. Scott, it reflected the English roots of the Anglican Church with its fine Arts and Crafts style. It was officially opened in an impressive ceremony by the Bishop of New Westminster and could accommodate 200 worshippers. It was named after Saint Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors. The adjoining parish hall was completed in 1920. The church building features a gabled roof, triangular eave brackets and a semi-octagonal apse. Stucco has been applied to the exterior, but it retains its original form, scale and massing. It now houses the Burnaby Pacific Grace Church. English-born Frank Barrs (1871-1963) arrived in Vancouver in 1907 and established an office for about one year before he began working for the Vancouver Exhibition Association. He briefly established a partnership (1912-1913) with Samuel Shewbrooks (1877-1957), and was active as an architect until about 1933.