Skating on Deer Lake and Burnaby Lake was the inspiration to form the Burnaby Winter Club in the 1950s. In 1958, the volunteer group opened an indoor ice facility, still operating today at 4990 Canada Way. Originally, the facility boasted 8 sheets of curling ice, that were used to capacity by the more than 500 family and individual members in the heyday of the Club. The Winter Club was a social centre: in addition to curling, it was a popular place for banquets and dances, and a place for families to spend time together. In the 1960s, the eight sheets of curling ice were reduced to five, to make room for a sheet of hockey ice for the members’ children. Volunteer coaches were committed to excellence, and the Club produced many professional hockey players. By 1964, the Club’s first future NHL player was playing: Pee Wee player Jack McIlhargey.