The BCER Connaught Cut-off was named after the Duke of Connaught, who visited Burnaby in 1912. The original route of the interurban tramline was built along 12th Street into New Westminister, which proved to be too steep of a route, with many accidents occuring due to the grade. The Connaught Cut-Off was built in 1912 to re-route the interurban tram to the south of its original route from Highland Park Station, avoiding the steep hill on 12th Street. Streetcar service was introduced on the now abandonned track on 12th Street, connecting to the Highland Park Station. This streetcar route was known as the Highland Park Streetcar.