In 1911, a brick building was built to replace the smaller wooden structure that had served as Burnaby's Municipal Hall since 1899. This new, larger structure was built to reflect Burnaby's growth into a large suburban municipality and remained in use for over 40 years. The old Municipal Hall became a public hall which was demolished upon the construction of the Edmonds Branch of the Burnaby Public Library in 1962. The second Municipal Hall was renovated in 1956 (when the current City Hall was built at Canada Way), and was used as a Police building. In 1966 after the construction of the new Justice Building, the old 1911 Municipal Hall was left vacant and in 1970 it was demolished. The site was redeveloped as a senior citizens residential centre with Edmonds House built on the old hall location.