In 1894, Burnaby pioneer L. Claude Hill built this home near the shore of Deer Lake. Mr. Hill was married that year to Annie Sara Kenrick, and they took up residence in the house until 1906 when they sold the property and built a new home in the vicinity of Buckingham and Sperling. Brookfield was still on the property when the Burnaby Village Museum was planned in 1971 as Heritage Village, but it was removed to make room for other buildings on the site. In 1894, Claude discovered a midden on his farm and recovered many artifacts. In 2002, his descendants donated this valuable collection to the Museum.