This bungalow was built by local farmer William Alexander Mawhinney (1870-1953) and Annie J. Mawhinney (1871-1956). This was one of several houses built in the immediate vicinity by members of the Mawhinney family between 1909 and 1930. William Mawhinney first came to Burnaby to help his brother Isaiah establish his fruit farm. In about 1930, William and Annie Mawhinney built a new house at 6011 Buckingham Avenue. This home is architecturally notable for its unusual front-gabled dormer, which is divided into parallel ridges at its peak. Though the original exterior wall siding has been covered by a later coat of stucco, it otherwise remains in largely original condition including double-hung windows with multi-paned upper sashes, front door with full-length sidelights and a decorative built-in window box.