This house was built for Henry Ramsay and his wife, Elsa Kirby (née Burnett), who were married at Holy Trinity Cathedral in New Westminster in 1910. Henry was a real estate agent, originally from Newcastle-on-Tyne, England. Beautifully designed in the Arts and Crafts style, it follows the ideals of the movement in the use of native materials. The wooden construction includes timber porch and roof brackets. The roofline is of a notably low pitch. English-born architect Robert Mackay Fripp (1858-1917) had a varied career working at various times in England, New Zealand and Los Angeles. Fripp found the opportunity in British Columbia to promote his passion for British Arts and Crafts aesthetics through a series of residential and institutional commissions. The Ramsay Residence was built at the height of the Arts and Crafts movement, and Fripp’s output during this period was prolific; his residential designs ranged from modest California bungalows to stately Tudor Revival homes in Shaughnessy, Point Grey and Kerrisdale. This elegant house was built by contractor C.G. Bowden.