The George and Jessie Haddon House is a symmetrical two-storey Dutch Colonial-style house with a side-gambrel roof and shed dormers. It is situated in the Burnaby Lake neighborhood in East Burnaby.
Built in 1923, the George and Jessie Haddon House is a significant example of the romantic period revival styles that were popular during the period between the two World Wars. These traditionally styled homes reflected ongoing pride in past traditions but also recognized the modern ideals of economy and good design. At the time, houses displayed traditional and readily-identifiable historical styles as a hallmark of good taste. The use of the various Colonial Revival styles had gained new popularity during the 1920s, and this design could have originated in a residential pattern book, which were in wide circulation and used to expedite residential projects. This house displays the typical features of the Dutch Colonial style, imported from the eastern United States and relatively rare on the West Coast. The house originally featured an unusual porte-cochere with tapered supports, that indicated the growing importance of automobiles at the time. The house was built for George Samuel Haddon (1886-1971) and his wife Jessie (née Reade) Haddon, whom he married in 1915. George Haddon, who was born in British Columbia, was a prominent Vancouver figure and served as Secretary of the Vancouver General Hospital. Following Jessie's death, George Haddon was remarried to Alice Margaret Currie (1890-1951).
The George and Jessie Haddon House is further valued for its connection with the continued development of the Burnaby Lake neighbourhood in the 1920s. The area was highly desirable to wealthy Vancouver and New Westminster residents because of its scenery, and easy access was provided by the British Columbia Electric Railway 'Burnaby Lake' interurban line, which opened in June 1911. The Haddon House illustrates the evolving nature of regional transportation and the growing communities made possible by increasing options for transportation. The house originally stood on a larger lot, and was relocated in 2006 to allow for subdivision and legal protection. The current owners restored the porte-cochere in 2014.
Key elements that define the heritage character of the George and Jessie Haddon House include its:
- location within the Burnaby Lake neighbourhood
- residential form, scale and massing as expressed by its two-storey height and gambrel roof with shed dormers
- rough-cast stucco cladding
- Colonial Revival details such as the symmetrical façade and massing, and side-gambrel roof with shed dormers
- additional exterior features such as an interior chimney, exposed purlins and window boxes supported on large projecting brackets
- wooden front door with glazed insets
- interior features including original staircase, and wooden door and window trim