The Moore House is a one-storey, side-gabled house with stepped roof planes and a split-level attached garage. The house faces east, and features distinct river rock porch columns and a large central tapered chimney. It is located within the Deer Lake Park Heritage Precinct, and is adjacent to a re…
The Moore House is a one-storey, side-gabled house with stepped roof planes and a split-level attached garage. The house faces east, and features distinct river rock porch columns and a large central tapered chimney. It is located within the Deer Lake Park Heritage Precinct, and is adjacent to a related house, the Rosalie (Moore) Barrett Residence, built the following year.
The Moore House is significant for its relationship to first owner, Ethel Hutchings Moore (1884-1948), who purchased the property from Maud and Harriet Woodward, two of Deer Lake's first residents. Moore purchased the property with the hopes of introducing her children into the house construction business. This house, built in 1941, borrows its design from a 'California Desert House' built in Carmel a few years earlier. Rendered in traditional materials, this modern style merges comfortably with the rustic British Arts and Crafts tradition of most Deer Lake houses. Unusual for being built during wartime date, it was built at a time when domestic construction was severely curtailed due to shortages of labour and material. It is now owned by the City of Burnaby and is part of the Deer Lake Park Heritage Precinct.
The Moore House is significant as a testament to Deer Lake's continued popularity as a residential neighbourhood in the 1940s. Although Burnaby was serviced by a number of transportation links at the time, the increasing availability of automobiles provided improved access to outlying suburbs. Rising real estate prices in Vancouver and New Westminster attracted residents to this neighbourhood because of its relative affordability, central location and beautiful scenery.
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Moore House include its:
- location within the Deer Lake Park Heritage Precinct
- residential form, scale and massing as expressed by its one-storey height, linear plan, side gabled roof with multiple roof planes and split-level attached garage
- wood-frame construction with stucco cladding
- river rock porch columns and external tapered chimney
- decorative embellishments including scroll-cut stickwork on the rear elevation and waney-edged boards in the gable peaks
- wooden-sash casement windows with three-part, horizontal leading
- associated landscaping features, including stone wall at the front of the property and coniferous and deciduous trees surrounding the property