Item consists of a motion picture film entitled 'Investment in Youth'. The film was created between October 1945 and March 15, 1946 and had its first public screening in April of 1946 at the North Burnaby High School with The Deputy Minister of Education of British Columbia, Dr. F.T. Fairey in atte…
Item consists of a motion picture film entitled 'Investment in Youth'. The film was created between October 1945 and March 15, 1946 and had its first public screening in April of 1946 at the North Burnaby High School with The Deputy Minister of Education of British Columbia, Dr. F.T. Fairey in attendance. It was produced for the Burnaby School Board as one method of demonstrating the importance of education as well as pointing out the need for school improvements. The depression of the 1930s left Burnaby in a difficult position with limited school construction and during World War II there were little resources for maintenance.
Ken West was the producer and amateur cinematographer while Vancouver teacher, Roth Gordon assisted with the cinematography as well as providing technical assistance. The script was written by Norman D. MacDonald, who was the principal of Burnaby South High School while Inspector of Burnaby Schools, Cliff G. Brown, provided the overall supervision and idea for the production. Norm Henderson worked as a student assistant during the filming and assisted with much of the sound work. The speed of the film was ASA 2 ( artifical lighting) to 4 (natural lighting). As a result many of the sets had to have outside lighting. A 16 mm Bolex camera was used to film the entire production with sound being added later.
Norm Henderson came from Saskatchewan to Burnaby with his parents in December of 1940 to visit his grandmothers. Norm and his parents stayed on and bought the Old Orchard Auto Park on the corner of Kingsway and Willingdon Avenue, which they ran until 1944. Norm attended Burnaby South High School from 1941 to 1947, during which time he was involved in the production of the Burnaby School Board film; “Investment in Youth." In 1945 Norm got a part time job at Woodward’s Department Store in Vancouver where he worked until he went into teacher training at Vancouver Normal School in the early nineteen-fifties.
Kathleen MacFarlane (later Henderson) was born in 1929 and grew up in Vancouver. Kathleen also went through teacher training at Vancouver Normal School. Norm Henderson and Kathleen MacFarlane were married in 1953 and moved to a small suite located at Patterson Avenue and Kingsway in Burnaby. Norm taught at Gilmore Avenue School and Kathleen taught at Nelson Avenue Elementary School. Norm was a member of West Burnaby United Church from 1941 until he and Kathleen moved to Richmond in 1959.