Fonds consists of records, primarily photographs, compiled by various members of both the Hill and Peers families that document their lives during the early days of settlement in Burnaby. The fonds is arranged in three series: (1). Legal documents and certificates which include records of citizen…
Fonds consists of records, primarily photographs, compiled by various members of both the Hill and Peers families that document their lives during the early days of settlement in Burnaby. The fonds is arranged in three series: (1). Legal documents and certificates which include records of citizenship, wills and other official papers pertaining to the life and activities of L. Claude Hill; (2). Peers photograph album which contains photographs of the Peers family’s Burnaby Lake home, Greyfriars, as well as pictures taken by Arthur Peers during his work and travels throughout British Columbia in the first part of the 20th century; and (3) Kitty Hill Peers family photographs which make up the majority of the fonds and range in scope from photographs of the family of Claude Hill and early Burnaby Lake residents and scenes to pictures Kitty took as an adult documenting the growth of her own family. Also included in this series are a number of photographs showing Yellow Point, Vancouver Island, where the Peers and Hill families often vacationed.
Bob Peers was born William John Peers, the son of real estate broker and early Burnaby resident, Francis John Peers and his wife Elizabeth Frisby. Originally from England, the family moved to Vancouver in 1905 and soon after settled at Burnaby Lake. The family included one daughter (Mary Elizabeth Dora) and four boys (Arthur Francis, William John “Bob”, Geoffrey Hugh, and Richard Dominic). When they arrived in Burnaby, Francis Peers purchased a piece of land from another early settler, Claude Hill, and built the family home “Greyfriars” near Deer Lake. The children attended school in the home of Miss Harriet Woodward, the first school to be held in the Burnaby Lake area. In 1925, Bob married Claude Hill’s daughter and another former pupil of “Miss Harry’s,” Kitty Hill.
Kitty (born Katherine Maude Hill) was the only child of Burnaby pioneers L. Claude Hill and Annie Sara Kenrick. Having moved to the Burnaby Lake area in the early 1890s, Claude went on to operate a successful strawberry farm and soon became active in the political development of Burnaby – being elected to the first Burnaby Council and serving from 1892-1894 and again from 1909-1910. The first Hill family home, “Brookfield,” was sold around 1907 and the family moved to their new home, “Broadview,” which was also built in the vicinity of Deer Lake.
In 1925, Bob and Kitty were married and they went on to have three children, Robert C.K., Barbara (later Barbara Jeffrey), and Anne (later Anne Latham).
All photographic records have been scanned and are saved in jpeg format on the City of Burnaby network. Archival master copies have also been produced in tiff format and have been burned to CD for preservation purposes.