144 records – page 8 of 8.

William Harold Carr fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat10136
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1977
Collection/Fonds
William Harold Carr fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 album : 26 photographs : b&w ; 7.5 x 12.5 mounted on paper 25.5 x 33 cm + 1 photograph : col. 9 x 13 cm mounted on paper 25.5 x 33 cm + 1 photograph : col. 9 x 11 cm
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a thirty three page photograph album documenting the building of an outhouse by Century Park Museum Association volunteer, Harold Carr on the site of Heritage Village in Century Park (Burnaby Village Museum). The album is titled: "THE EPIC OF THE / OUTHOUSE / The Only (Privy) Bif…
Administrative History
William Harold Carr was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Carr of Vancouver. He and his twin brother, James Allen Carr, were born in Edmonton on June 18, 1917. Harold moved to Burnaby with his family (including his sisters, Muriel and Maisie) in 1924. His parents bought a lot in District Lot 94 and bu…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
William Harold Carr fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 album : 26 photographs : b&w ; 7.5 x 12.5 mounted on paper 25.5 x 33 cm + 1 photograph : col. 9 x 13 cm mounted on paper 25.5 x 33 cm + 1 photograph : col. 9 x 11 cm
Material Details
Pages include typewritten text pasted below each photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a thirty three page photograph album documenting the building of an outhouse by Century Park Museum Association volunteer, Harold Carr on the site of Heritage Village in Century Park (Burnaby Village Museum). The album is titled: "THE EPIC OF THE / OUTHOUSE / The Only (Privy) Biffy in Heritage Village with the Good Housekeeping / Seal of disApproval, 1977" / "Built by Mr. W. H. Carr / Privy Councillor / and Builder Emeritus". Photography by R. S. Banford & M. Smith, Marbo Photographics, North Vancouver."
Administrative History
William Harold Carr was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Carr of Vancouver. He and his twin brother, James Allen Carr, were born in Edmonton on June 18, 1917. Harold moved to Burnaby with his family (including his sisters, Muriel and Maisie) in 1924. His parents bought a lot in District Lot 94 and built a house at 3119 Royal Oak, (after 1958: 6270 Royal Oak Ave.). After World War II, Harold married Daphne Adel Withers on April 13, 1946 at Christ Church Cathedral in Vancouver. In 1946, the couple built a house at 2836 Pearl Avenue (Address after 1958: 6269 Pearl Ave.). The house was built on a portion of District Lot 94 that faced Pearl Street and was owned by Harold’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Carr. Harold and Daphne had one child named Warren. Harold worked as an engineer for the CPR and prior to this he worked at Mohawk Lumber. Harold and his wife Daphne became involved with the Century Park Museum Association in the mid-1970s. Daphne volunteered to run the gift shop while Harold volunteered as an engineer on the model railway. Besides working on the model railway in Heritage Village, Harold also built a chicken coup and the outhouse located near Tom Irvine’s house. Harold died in 1981 at the age of 64 years, just one year prior to his retirement at CPR.
Creator
William Harold Carr
Accession Code
BV011.59
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
1977
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Arrangement
Photograph album and photographs within are described at item level
Notes
Tilte based on contents of fonds
Less detail

William Holmes fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat10416
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1841]-1994
Collection/Fonds
William Holmes fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photographs (calotype) + 1 photograph : b&w + 6 photographs : col. + 5 p. textual records + 1 newspaper clipping
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs pertaining to the William Holmes family, family grave markers in cemetery in Ireland along with original correspondence, land title certificates and a newspaper clipping. Fonds is arranged in series: 1) William Holmes family photographs series 2) William Holmes family…
Administrative History
William Holmes was the first non-Indigenous resident of Burnaby and was born in Kilkenny Ireland January 4, 1812. In 1833, at the age of 20 yrs, William Holmes immigrated to Canada from Ireland in with his parents, Joseph and Jane (McCullough) Holmes and ten other family members including two of hi…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
William Holmes fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photographs (calotype) + 1 photograph : b&w + 6 photographs : col. + 5 p. textual records + 1 newspaper clipping
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs pertaining to the William Holmes family, family grave markers in cemetery in Ireland along with original correspondence, land title certificates and a newspaper clipping. Fonds is arranged in series: 1) William Holmes family photographs series 2) William Holmes family records series 3) Holmes family cemetery photographs series
Administrative History
William Holmes was the first non-Indigenous resident of Burnaby and was born in Kilkenny Ireland January 4, 1812. In 1833, at the age of 20 yrs, William Holmes immigrated to Canada from Ireland in with his parents, Joseph and Jane (McCullough) Holmes and ten other family members including two of his married brothers and their wives, two sisters with their husbands and two unmarried brothers. This was the first group of thirteen to leave Ireland and set up homesteads in Canada near the shores of Lake Huron. The family settled on land concessions in Huron County, Ontario about 14 km southeast of Goderich. The area in Huron County was first founded in 1832 by John and Samuel Holmes and the community was known as Holmes Hill before becoming Holmesville [ca. 1850]. In 1837, William Holmes is noted as owning Lot 23, Concession IX, Goderich Twp. Much of the village of Holmesville grew up around the five road concession near the border of his brother’s farm so William decided to open a store. The Holmesville post office opened on March 1, 1855 and William was appointed the first post master which he operated until May 1857. William met and married Mary Richardson in 1841 and the couple had three daughters: Jane (1844-1926) (married Charles Studdert Finlaison in New Westminster in 1863); Anne Maria (Annie) (1846-192?) (married John Gunther Jennings in New Westminster in 1865 and married Robert Johnson in New Westminster in 1877) and Elizabeth (1848-1934) (married Thomas Carrington of Lakes District in 1867). William’s wife, Mary (Richardson) Holmes died in Holmesville sometime between 1848 and 1853. Following the death of his first wife, Mary, William married Charlotte McCullough (McCulloch). The couple had four daughters; Arabella Charlotte Amelia (1854-1943) (married Arthur Robert Green in 1887); Laura (1855-1867); Arabella Henrietta (1857-1929) (married Clark Wesley Gillanders in 1880) and Mary (1863-1864). During the late 1850s, William became aware of the gold rush and opportunities opening up in British Columbia so left for the west coast in 1858 at the age of 46 yrs. In preparation for his move to the west coast of Canada, William obtained a letter of introduction from top government officials of Canada. William Holmes arrived in British Columbia in 1859. Upon arriving, he first worked running pack trains from Harrison Mills to Lillooet. After earning some money, he decided to re-invest it in land. His first pre-emption of land occurred on January 21, 1860 for 160 acres situated on North Road from the Military Camp to Burrard Inlet and distancing 25 chains south of the Brunette River and 20 chains south of the river with the land extending in a westerly direction. On March 17, 1860, Holmes received a Crown Grant for this and other land in the immediate area totalling 415 acres of which was known as Lot No. 1, Group 1, Rural Land, New Westminster District. The balance of land was situated on the east side of the Brunette River – Lot 13, with 344 2/3 acres of which he made an application to purchase on June 26, 1860, and a Crown Grant dated March 16, 1861 covering 86 acres. Holmes also pre-empted land in Port Moody and Pitt Meadows in 1860 and 1861. The name of “Brunette River” is officially attributed to William Holmes who referred to the river as “Brunette” due to it’s dark colour originating from the peat lands above the lake. Following his purchase of property, he sent for his wife Charlotte, their three daughters and her three step daughters (from William’s first marriage). Charlotte and the six children made the long trip to B.C. by ship and rail, crossing the Isthmus of Darien at Panama. They arrived in B.C. in October 1861 and moved into a one room log cabin built by William. The cabin stood on the North Road at the foot of Sapperton, on a bluff overlooking the Brunette River. Eventually the family moved to a larger dwelling but the original cabin remained on the site until the 1890s when it was burned after being used as a sick house. Mr. Holmes was instrumental in organizing the first Orange Lodge in British Columbia. He was a prominent Orangeman who joined the order in 1840 and was the first master in the order of the City of New Westminster when the Lodge No. 1150 was established there. Charlotte Holmes died in New Westminster in 1893 at the age of 70 years and William Holmes died in New Westminster September 11, 1907 at the age of 95 years.
Accession Code
HV971.46
BV997.50
Date
[1841]-1994
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Related Material
See also: Reference file: Persons - Holmes, William
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

William Martin family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto66694
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1927-1940 (date of originals)
Collection/Fonds
William Martin family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
26 photographs : 1 original photograph + 19 jpegs + 6 copy prints
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the William and Ellen Martin family, pioneers of Burnaby.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1927-1940 (date of originals)
Collection/Fonds
William Martin family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-11
2006-03
2012-03
Physical Description
26 photographs : 1 original photograph + 19 jpegs + 6 copy prints
Material Details
2 copy prints + 1 jpeg are duplicates to the original; 3 copy prints are duplicates to a larger copy print
Formats
Records from accession 2011-11 exist only in electronic format - copied 2011
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the William and Ellen Martin family, pioneers of Burnaby.
History/Biography
William Martin and Ellen Ward met while attending school in Glasgow, Scotland. They married in 1916 while William was on leave from the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force. After the war they immigrated to Canada with their two year old daughter, Margaret. They spent a few years in Vancouver where three more daughters were born: Barbara (later Punnett), Juanita (later Safarik) and Sally (later Forbes). With their four small daughters they moved to Los Angeles where William worked as a craftsman for Samuel Goldwyn Studios. In 1926 they returned to BC and William purchased five acres of land on Spruce Street in Burnaby. Much of the land had been logged but not cleared. Dynamite was used to remove the large burnt stumps. While William prepared the land for a new house, the family lived in a temporary building that was later used for a garage. The seven room house that William built was one of the first houses on Spruce Street. During this time William and Ellen’s two sons were born: Bill and Jackie. The Martins made good use of their property - they kept chickens, ducks, and a goat, planted fruit trees and had a large raspberry patch. The children enjoyed their large playground, much of it still heavily forested. In the winter they walked to Deer Lake to ice skate; they hiked Burnaby Mountain and sometimes walked to Capitol Hill where there was a recreation centre. All six children attended Douglas Road School and South Burnaby Secondary School. Margaret became a school teacher, Juanita and Barbara did office work after attending Sprott Shaw Business School, Sally became a public health nurse and Bill and Jackie became doctors. Margaret taught in Burnaby schools for twenty-seven years. Before her marriage Sally served as a public health nurse in Burnaby for three years. Bill had an ophthalmology practice in Burnaby until his retirement. Margaret married Jack Greenall, the eldest son of another Burnaby family who lived on Nursery Street on a large property with a garden, greenhouse and chicken house. Margaret and Jack had three children: Dr. Martin Greenall, Sharon (later Ingalls) and Diane (later Macnair). Margaret later married Peter Andrusiak and had two sons: Gordon and Peter. All of her children were raised in New Westminster. Margaret was active in her community and was awarded the New Westminster Citizen of the Year award in 1992. She died July 26, 2006 at the age of eighty-nine.
Creator
Martin family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 525
Less detail

Yanko family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat74502
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1917-2010
Collection/Fonds
Yanko family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
4 albums (1272 photographs : b&w and col.) and other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of four photographic albums, two scrapbooks, one guestbook, one recipe notebook, 19 loose photographs, and 1 cm of other textual records pertaining to the Yanko family. Included are photographs depicting the building of the Yanko family home at 7391 Broadway, Burnaby.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1917-2010
Collection/Fonds
Yanko family fonds
Physical Description
4 albums (1272 photographs : b&w and col.) and other material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Accession Number
2012-09
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of four photographic albums, two scrapbooks, one guestbook, one recipe notebook, 19 loose photographs, and 1 cm of other textual records pertaining to the Yanko family. Included are photographs depicting the building of the Yanko family home at 7391 Broadway, Burnaby.
History/Biography
Annie D. Basiuk (later Yanko) was born on February 25, 1902 in Sheho, Saskatchewan (formerly Sheho, North West Territories). Daniel "Dan" Yanko was born in Kobilnicha, Ukraine in 1887 and immigrated to Canada in May or June of 1905. Daniel Yanko married Annie D. Basiuk and had thirteen children together. Their son, John Ivan Yanko was born on the family farm, near Kelliher, Saskatchewan, on June 27, 1923. In grade six, John was pulled out of school to help support the family. Eugenia “Jenny” Haresomovych (later Carman) was born August 8, 1904 in Galecia, Austria. She came to Canada in 1928, when her parents sent her to live with the Austrian consular in Halifax. A year later, she was in The Pas with Albert Edward Carman, with whom she would have three children. Their daughter, Leida Doria "Lillian Doris" Carman was born in The Pas, Manitoba March 24, 1929. Eugenia “Jenny” (Haresomovych) Carman later re-married Joseph Nagy who was born in Hungary in October 3, 1900. Jenny, Joseph and the children moved to Nelson, British Columbia, where Joseph worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway. At the age of twenty, John Yanko met his future wife Lillian Doris Carman while visiting relatives in Burnaby. Lillian received a rail pass because of her dad’s employment with the CPR and at fourteen had gone to visit her Godmother in Burnaby. John Ivan Yanko and Leida Doria "Lillian Doris" Carman were married October 16, 1948 in Nelson, British Columbia and moved into the basement of John’s sister’s house on Union Street. Lillian began working at the downtown Woodward’s store as a cashier in 1948. In 1950, the young couple bought property at 7385 (later renumbered 7391) Broadway in Burnaby and began constructing a house as they could afford it. Knowing she’d be let go if she was pregnant, when Lillian was expecting her first child, Jenny sewed her several versions of the same outfit; they all used the same material, but each was a little bit larger than the last to accommodate her expanding girth. Rhonda, born in 1953 and Charmaine, born in 1955, grew up in the Broadway home. They attended school at Sperling Elementary, and later at Burnaby North high school. Lillian left her job to be a stay-at-home mom when Rhonda was born, but that changed in 1963 when John and Charmaine were in a car accident that left John temporarily unable to work. Joseph Nagy died April 20, 1962; his wife Eugenia “Jenny” (Haresomovych) (Carman) Nagy passed away August 14, 1985. Daniel "Dan" Yanko died in 1976; his wife Annie D. (Basiuk) Yanko died in 1997. John Yanko later returned to work, establishing his own tile setting business and working until age eighty-two. John and Lillian lived out the rest of their married lives on the Broadway property. John Ivan Yanko passed away in 2010; his wife Leida Doria "Lillian Doris" Carman (Carman) Yanko passed away in 2011.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
Yanko family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS170, photo catalogue 545
Less detail

144 records – page 8 of 8.