144 records – page 5 of 8.

LaFavor Family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat72548
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[191-]; 1953-1955
Collection/Fonds
LaFavor Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Textual records (newsprint) and 59 photographs : sepia postcards ; 8 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of fifty-nine photographic postcards (some are duplications) depicting the village of Barnet in Burnaby along with newspaper clippings pertaining to Barnet Village from the 1950s.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[191-]; 1953-1955
Collection/Fonds
LaFavor Family fonds
Physical Description
Textual records (newsprint) and 59 photographs : sepia postcards ; 8 x 13 cm
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2007-03
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of fifty-nine photographic postcards (some are duplications) depicting the village of Barnet in Burnaby along with newspaper clippings pertaining to Barnet Village from the 1950s.
History/Biography
Orville Glen LaFavor was born in Willow City, North Dakota on May 31, 1903 to Harvey M. LaFavor. On April 20, 1924, Orville married Cathryn Arlou "Kate" Lewis. In that same year, Orville and Kate moved to Barnet Village to join Harvey and his wife. Orville and Kate had five children who were all born in Barnet: Lewis in September 1925, Irene in December 1927, Clyde Martin in July 1930, Florence Alice in March 1933 and Cathryn Bernice on April 24, 1934. Orville worked as a trimmer for the Barnet Lumber Company. He and his family lived at "Number 10" on the Barnet property. In 1924 he began working at the mills and retired in 1960. During the war, he made blackout blinds and worked as a warden or home guard in Vancouver. Kate LaFavor stayed at home to look after the five children. All of the children went to Barnet School until grade five, when they had to bus up to Capitol Hill in North Burnaby. Once evictions began in Barnet in 1953, Orville bought the house from the municipality and moved it to Port Coquitlam. Orville's brother, Vern Victor LaFavor, married Irene Winnifred "Winnie" Warner on August 6, 1928. Clyde and Lou LaFavor also worked in the mill. Fred Marshall and his brother Roy Marshall lived and worked at the mill and were uncles to the LaFavor children. Harvey LaFavor, the grandfather of the children, worked as a millwright and had a section in the village for gardening, which he tended to regularly. He had horses that worked with him at the mill and later on the construction of Barnet Road, allowing him to make money during the Depression. During a strike for higher wages at the Barnet Sawmill, Harvey was badly beaten. Murray Glen "Bud" LaFavor was born on December 13, 1944 in New Westminster. He had four sisters: Irene, Catherine, Carol and Rene. He worked as a volunteer fireman for 25 years and was employed by the District of 100 Mile House. He died in 2009. Lewis LaFavor, son of Orville and Kate, joined the navy and survied World War II. Catherine Bernice (LaFavor) Nelson, daughter of Orville and Kate, died July 7, 2011 in Nelson, British Columbia.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
LaFavor family
Notes
Photo catalogue 540, MSS166
Less detail

Larry Lee family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat19071
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Larry Lee family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
14 photographs + 3 p. of texutal records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the Dragon Inn restaurant in Burnaby, Lee family photographs and certificates awarded to Larry Lee.
Administrative History
Larry Lee was born in Dawan village, Kaiping, Guangdong, China in 1932. As a child, he attended school at the Dawan village primary school, and later the Kaiqiao middle school. During the Second World War, the Japanese army took over parts of Guangdong. Due the circumstances at the time, Larry quit…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Larry Lee family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
14 photographs + 3 p. of texutal records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the Dragon Inn restaurant in Burnaby, Lee family photographs and certificates awarded to Larry Lee.
Administrative History
Larry Lee was born in Dawan village, Kaiping, Guangdong, China in 1932. As a child, he attended school at the Dawan village primary school, and later the Kaiqiao middle school. During the Second World War, the Japanese army took over parts of Guangdong. Due the circumstances at the time, Larry quit school and returned to the village. He arrived in Vancouver, Canada in 1949 at the age of 16 by plane, which stopped in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Guam, Hawaii, and Seattle before reaching its final destination in Vancouver. With no English language skills upon arrival, he attended Sir William Dawson School in Vancouver and was placed in grade five surrounded by mostly white children. His father Lee Soon was already in Canada many years before Larry arrived, and paid the Chinese head tax to come to Canada. Lee Soon operated the Puss and Boots coffee shop located on Robson Street and Richards Street and was one of the restaurant’s cooks. As a teenager, Larry's first job in Canada was working at the Puss and Boots as a restaurant helper. Later on, he took a full time job working at the Bamboo Terrace restaurant in Chinatown, and was eventually promoted to become a buyer for the restaurant. He met his wife Git Nung Lee "Kathy" who came from Xinhui county, Guangdong, in the 1950s while she was working for the produce wholesaler Tom Yee, which was located on Keefer Street between Gore and Main Street in Chinatown. Kathy's grandfather originally operated a fireworks factory in Vancouver. After an accident which involved an explosion at the factory, her father closed down the company and opened the Fong Lee BBQ Meatshop in Chinatown. Kathy and Larry married in 1958. Larry and Kathy lived in Burnaby where they raised their eight children. In the late 1950s, Larry and Kathy opened the first Dragon Inn restaurant on Slocan Road and Kingsway area along with seven other partners who mostly originated from Larry's hometown in Kaiping. The business partners eventually parted ways, and a second Dragon Inn restaurant opened in the Willingdon and Kingsway area. The third restaurant, named the Park Inn, opened up at Welwyn Street and Kingsway. A fourth restaurant, also named the Dragon Inn, was established on Willingdon and Hastings Street. Finally, a fifth Dragon Inn restaurant was opened in New Westminster on Columbia Street. Larry retained ownership of the Willingdon and Kingsway location, and sold the remaining businesses. Over the years, he purchased property around the block of his restaurant, and sold the land to developers who constructed the Crystal Mall. Larry and Kathy operated the Grand Buffet restaurant on Kingsway in the late 1990s for five years before they sold the business and retired. The Dragon Inn was known for its exterior neon sign which was removed in 1997. Larry Lee was a member of the International Association of Lions Club and a duly elected member of the Lions Club of Vancouver Champlain Heights. Larry Lee died in 2019 and his wife Kathy died in 2022.
Accession Code
BV017.37
BV022.19
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Laurence J. Peter family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord88409
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1949
Collection/Fonds
Laurence J. Peter family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Textual record
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one Share Certificate for the Lochdale Co Operative Association.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1949
Collection/Fonds
Laurence J. Peter family fonds
Physical Description
Textual record
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
In Archives only
Accession Number
2013-29
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one Share Certificate for the Lochdale Co Operative Association.
History/Biography
In 1941, Laurence J. Peter began his career as an industrial arts teacher at Lord Tweedsmeer High School in Cloverdale, after an illness kept him out of World War two. It was here that he met his future wife, Nancy M. Bailey who was the vice principal of the school. The couple married in 1943 and made their way to Burnaby in 1947 after purchasing a one acre lot in Burnaby from Mr. Wright for $1,000. When the couple purchased this lot, Nancy was teaching English at Burnaby South High School, while Laurence was teaching Woodwork at New Haven Borstal Home for Boys in the Provincial Corrections system. The lot was located in the historic neighbourhood of Lozell’s at 7229 Lougheed Highway and was renumbered to 7449 Lougheed in 1958. Laurence and Nancy had four children, two boys (John and Ted) and two girls (Alice and Margaret). When they first purchased the lot, they built a small house where they lived with their eldest son, John until the completion of a larger house in 1949. Their second son, Ted, was born a few weeks before the completion of the larger house and was brought into the new home from the hospital. Their daughters were born over the next few years. Laurence and Nancy hand built the larger house using a technique of peeled plywood core logs. Laurence and his cousin, Hewton Peter, who owned the lot next door, designed and built a machine to build exterior walls for their houses using plywood cores. In 1947 plywood cores were turned (peeled) down to 6” in diameter and then discarded to be chipped for the pulp industry. To build the house, the cores were splined together and stood on end making a vertical log house. Only three houses were ever built using their invention. The three bedroom, one bathroom house was completed in October 1949. The exterior of the house was never painted, just brushed with linseed oil. The traffic of the Lougheed Highway was not heard inside the house due to the six inch walls and was very economical to heat in the snowy winters of the 1950's. Over the years, the couple worked on finishing the interior of the house which included an intricately carved eight foot wide oak mantlepiece carved by Laurence. Parts of the mantel were reclaimed from the demolished old Hotel Vancouver and cobblestones reclaimed from the interurban tracks were used for the fireplace and stonework around the property. The family raised goats for milk and chickens for eggs and maintained a large vegetable garden and fruit trees on the property. When the goats and chickens were not needed anymore Laurence slaughtered them for meat which they stored in a freezer at the Lochdale Co-operative until they were ready to consume them. The family was actively involved in the Burnaby community with Laurence and Nancy taking part in local politics and community activities and their children participating in Boy Scouts and Girl Guides and music lessons. All four children graduated from Burnaby North High School and in 1970, Ted and Alice completed their studies at British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT). They worked at local jobs in the community including,building the Burnaby Mountain Golf Course. Laurence moved on to take a position as a Mental Health Coordinator (Special Counselor) in the Vancouver School System and in 1959, Nancy joined the staff at the newly opened Burnaby Central Senior Secondary School as a Math teacher, later becoming the head of the Mathematics Department. The couple continued their education at summer school at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, where Nancy completed her Masters Degree in 1964 and Laurence his Doctoral degree in 1963. Laurence joined the faculty of the University of British Columbia in 1965 and later received the WSU Regents’ Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1980. The couple separated in 1965 and Laurence moved to California in 1966 to teach at the University of Southern California. Laurence J. Peter became widely famous in 1969, after the publication of his bestselling book, "The Peter Principle" which has been translated into more than 38 languages. Following this publication, he continued to author eight more books and published several texts in the field of ‘Prescriptive Teaching’. He died on January 12, 1990 at the age of 70 at his home in Palos Verdes Estates, California and is honoured with a plaque as part of the Literary Landmarks program of the Vancouver Public Library located at the Metro Theatre, 1370 Marine Drive. Nancy M. Peter continued to teach at Burnaby South, until her retirement in 1978 after 30 years as head of the Mathematics Department at Burnaby Central. She was an active member of the Burnaby Historical Society for many years. She passed away in Nanaimo near her family on April 21, 2013 at the age of 97 years.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Peter, Laurence J.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS186-001
Less detail

Legal Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord78
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1942-2018
Collection/Fonds
Legal Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
30 m of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created by the City Solicitor and property negotiators in the process of fulfilling their roles as legal counsel and land agents for the City of Burnaby.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1942-2018
Collection/Fonds
Legal Department fonds
Physical Description
30 m of textual records
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created by the City Solicitor and property negotiators in the process of fulfilling their roles as legal counsel and land agents for the City of Burnaby.
History/Biography
The City of Burnaby Legal Department was formally established on April 20, 1954 when City Council called for the appointment of a full-time City Solicitor to manage the legal affairs of the City and all its boards and departments. This decision followed a report presented by Councilor Hean on March 8 of that year which listed a number of reasons why such an appointment was necessary and recommended that the City employ a full-time Solicitor and a support staff comprised of an assistant solicitor and a stenographer. Councilor Hean’s report was initially referred to a Committee of Council for further study, but was endorsed by the Committee of the Whole on March 29, 1954 and on August 23, Mr. William L. Stirling was appointed as the first Solicitor for the City of Burnaby. Prior to the development of the City’s Legal Department, it was the practice of City Council to appoint a law firm to act as legal counsel for the Municipality, but the last lawyer on retainer for the City was dismissed on May 17, 1954 because of the imminent creation of a Municipal Legal Department. Initially, the City Solicitor was expected to report to the City Clerk who was Chief Executive Officer for the Municipal government, however the reporting relationships within the City were altered in 1957 with the adoption of Bylaw No. 3859. Bylaw No. 3859 (the Municipal Manager Bylaw) heralded the appointment of a Municipal Manager who became the administrative head of the City and to whom all departments reported, including the Legal Department. Regardless of the administrative hierarchy within which the Department operated, its mandate has remained quite consistent since its inception. The City of Burnaby Legal Department’s primary functions are: providing legal advice to City Council and other City departments, drafting bylaws, negotiating and drafting contracts involving the City, dealing with claims both by and against the City, and managing legal proceedings involving the City. From 1979 onwards, the Legal Department also acted as the main land agent for the City by managing the acquisition and disposal of land, the leasing of City land and the negotiations of rights of way and other land related agreements. Prior to 1979, this function was the responsibility of the Treasury Department, but after an organizational review in late 1978, it was decided by Council that the Land Agent should act under the authority of the Municipal Solicitor. As a result of fulfilling these two broad roles within the City – that of providing legal services and that of acting as land agents – the Department was renamed the Legal and Lands Department and came to include not only a City Solicitor but also property negotiators and a number of legal assistants. In 2017, City land acquisition and sales were transferred from Legal Services to the newly-established Realty and Lands division of the Public Safety and Community Services Department. In 2018, Legal Services was brought under the new Corporate Services Department. The following individuals have held the role of Municipal Solicitor: William L. Stirling 1954-1983 Patricia Flieger 1983-1998 Bruce Rose 1998-Present May Leung 2015-Present
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds.
Less detail

Libonati family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto66100
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1970-1975
Collection/Fonds
Libonati family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs showing exterior and interior of Libonati's Gun Shop at 4261 Kingsway.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1970-1975
Collection/Fonds
Libonati family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-02
Physical Description
2 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs showing exterior and interior of Libonati's Gun Shop at 4261 Kingsway.
History/Biography
Denzil (Dan) Libonati (1925-2010) was a Burnaby businessman on Kingsway (various locations) from 1961-2005. Last location being 4681 Kingsway from 1972-2005. He owned and operated Libonati's Gun Shop at 4261 Kingsway.
Creator
Libonati family
Names
Libonati, Denzil "Dan"
Libonati's Gun Shop
Notes
Photo catalogue 522
Less detail

Licence fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord96694
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1950-1999
Collection/Fonds
Licence fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and received by Licence, including Licence's historic business licence index cards (1950-1999).
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1950-1999
Collection/Fonds
Licence fonds
Description Level
Fonds
File Class
9100 25
43000 02
43000 20
43000 30
43000 40
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and received by Licence, including Licence's historic business licence index cards (1950-1999).
History/Biography
Licence is part of the Community Services Department under the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer and overseen by the Chief Licence Inspector. Licence is responsible for ensuring that businesses operating in Burnaby are appropriately licensed and are in compliance with all applicable bylaws. In addition, the Licence Office enforces bylaws regarding private property matters and property use, acts as the City liaison with the SPCA in response to Animal Control issues, and offers dog licensing. Prior to 2017, bylaw services and parking enforcement were the responsibility of the Transportation division of the Engineering Department; licensing and property management were the responsibility of the Revenue Services division of the Finance Department. In 2017, these responsibilities transferred to the Public Safety and Community Services Department and in 2018 combined under Business Licence and Property Management. In 2022, Property Management and the responsibility of rentals and leases of City-owned properties was moved under the newly-created Lands and Facilities Department. Dan Layng has served as Chief Licence Inspector since 2013.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
City of Burnaby
Less detail

Love family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat10098
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1881-1971
Collection/Fonds
Love family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
11 cm of textual records + 44 photographs + 5 plans
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family records including photographs, land sale records, agreements and plans as well as estate records, vital event documentation and correspondence. Records pertain to members of the Love family including the Parkers, Hughes and Leonards. Fonds has been arranged in the followin…
Administrative History
Jesse Love was born in Swindon, England in 1847 and left England to work on a dairy farm in the Toronto area. While working on the farm in Toronto, he met Martha Leonard who he married in 1879. Martha was born on February 3, 1858 in Bedfordshire, England and had come to Canada with her parents Geor…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Love family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
11 cm of textual records + 44 photographs + 5 plans
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family records including photographs, land sale records, agreements and plans as well as estate records, vital event documentation and correspondence. Records pertain to members of the Love family including the Parkers, Hughes and Leonards. Fonds has been arranged in the following series: 1) Love and Leonard land records 2) Love family vital events and correspondence 3) Love family photographs
Administrative History
Jesse Love was born in Swindon, England in 1847 and left England to work on a dairy farm in the Toronto area. While working on the farm in Toronto, he met Martha Leonard who he married in 1879. Martha was born on February 3, 1858 in Bedfordshire, England and had come to Canada with her parents George and Ann Leonard. While living in Toronto, Jesse and Martha had two children, George born March 22, 1880 and Annie Elizabeth on August 24, 1881. About one year after Annie was born, the Love family moved to North Dakota to grow wheat. While living there, they had two more children, Henry who was born August 24, 1883 and Edith Minnie born October 9, 1885. The family decided to move further west after hearing about the fairer weather conditions from Martha’s father, George Leonard, who had settled in Vancouver in 1885. On May 23, 1887, Jesse, Martha and their four children arrived in Vancouver after travelling across Canada from Winnipeg on the first transcontinental train. The Loves made their home in Vancouver while Jesse helped clear land on Granville Street. Their fifth child, Thomas Robert was born on September 17, 1887 and soon after, the family moved to Lulu Island in Richmond where they lived growing vegetables and selling them to Vancouver hotels. While living and farming on Lulu island, the couple had two more girls, Martha (Dot or Dorothy) born on December 17, 1889 and Sarah Marie, born February 8, 1892. On October 6, 1893 an agreement was signed by Jesse Love to purchase 14.52 acres of land from Joseph C. Armstrong. The acreage covered the north east section of District Lot 25 within the newly incorporated District of the Municipality of Burnaby. It was here where the original Love house was built (between October 1893 and April 15, 1894) by Jesse Love with the help of local builder George Salt and father in law, George Leonard. The house consisted of an entrance hall, dining room, lean to kitchen, master bedroom and three bedrooms upstairs. A road was constructed and named Cumberland in 1905 and ran from District Lot 25 through to District Lot 11. The address for the Love home was 1390 Cumberland Road and in the early 1960’s the address was renumbered 7651 Cumberland Street. On the land surrounding the house, Jesse Love planted an orchard along with strawberries and raspberries which he sold at the Fraser Valley Market, T.S. Anandale’s Grocery Store in New Westminster and to hotels around Vancouver. Jesse Love served on the Burnaby School Board and also as a District Councillor in 1901 and from 1904-1907. While living in the house, Jesse and Martha had four more children, Phoebe Leonard, born April 15, 1894, Esther, born August 28, 1896, John Leonard, born June 7, 1899 and Hannah Victoria (also known as Girlie) who was born May 12, 1902. In 1918, at the age of 31 years, Thomas Robert Love fell ill due to an influenza epidemic and died on November 23, 1918. Following their son’s death, Martha Love became weak and on August 24, 1920, she passed away. By this time, Jesse had sold off a large percentage of his land and his youngest daughter, Girlie decided to stay on to live and care for him. Since the house was too large for just the two of them, Jesse invited any other children to return and share the residence. For a while his son, George and his wife joined them. In 1925 Jesse’s daughter Sarah Parker (nee Love), her husband William Michael Norton Parker and their three children, Albert “Bert” (1915-2011), William Charles “Bill” and Elsie Roberta moved from their home at 1319 Newcombe Street to join Jesse and Girlie in the Love family home on Cumberland. Jesse Love died in 1928 after which Sarah and William Parker purchased the Love family farmhouse and property. William Michael Parker, died in 1961 and Sarah Parker continued to live in the Love family farmhouse until 1966 when she sold it to her daughter Elsie and husband John Hughes. Elsie and John Hughes had four children, John Jr., Ann, Brent and Merle. The Hughes lived in the Love family house until August 1971. In 1988 the Love family farmhouse house was donated to the Burnaby Village Museum. The house was moved onto the site of the Burnaby Village Museum and after extensive restoration it was opened to the public on November 29, 1988.
Accession Code
HV979.40
BV985.3136
BV988.45
BV989.3
BV992.15
BV992.26
BV992.34
BV000.45
BV008.20
BV012.31
BV019.3
BV019.8
Date
1881-1971
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Cartographic Material
Arrangement
Fonds has been arranged by record type.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
See also Burnaby Village Museum fonds - Jesse Love farmhouse series
See also Love, Stanley, Shankie family fonds
Less detail

Love, Stanley, Shankie family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumphoto18841
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1896-[2015] (dates of originals)
Collection/Fonds
Love, Stanley, Shankie family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 photographs + 128 photographs (tiffs & jpgs) + 1 cm textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of digital reproductions of photographs, documents and newspaper clippings pertaining to the Love, Stanley and Shankie families as well as a few original photographs. The majority of the photographs are scanned copies originating from family albums pertaining to each …
Administrative History
Jesse Love (1847-1928) was born in Swindon, England and left England to work on a dairy farm in the Toronto area. While working on the farm in Toronto, Jesse met Martha Leonard (1858-1920) and the couple married in 1879. While living in Toronto, Jesse and Martha had two children, George (1880-1974)…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Love, Stanley, Shankie family fonds
Date
1896-[2015] (dates of originals)
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 photographs + 128 photographs (tiffs & jpgs) + 1 cm textual records
Accession Code
BV015.40
BV016.43
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of digital reproductions of photographs, documents and newspaper clippings pertaining to the Love, Stanley and Shankie families as well as a few original photographs. The majority of the photographs are scanned copies originating from family albums pertaining to each family.
Administrative History
Jesse Love (1847-1928) was born in Swindon, England and left England to work on a dairy farm in the Toronto area. While working on the farm in Toronto, Jesse met Martha Leonard (1858-1920) and the couple married in 1879. While living in Toronto, Jesse and Martha had two children, George (1880-1974) and Annie Elizabeth (1881-1957). About one year after Annie was born, the Love family moved to North Dakota to grow wheat. While living there, they had two more children, Henry (1883-1956) and Edith Minnie (1885-1976). The family decided to move further west after hearing about the fairer weather conditions from Martha’s father, George Leonard, who had settled in Vancouver in 1885. On May 23, 1887, Jesse, Martha and their four children arrived in Vancouver after travelling across Canada from Winnipeg on the first transcontinental train. Soon after their fifth child, Thomas Robert (1887-1918) was born, the family moved to Lulu Island in Richmond where they lived growing vegetables and selling them to Vancouver hotels. While living and farming on Lulu island, the couple had two more children Martha (Dot or Dorothy) (1889-1972) and Sarah Marie (1892-1978). In October 1893, Jesse Love purchased land in District Lot 25, Burnaby and built a house between 1893 and 1894. A road was constructed and named Cumberland in 1905 and the address for the Love home was 1390 Cumberland Road (after 1960- 7651 Cumberland). While living in the house, Jesse and Martha had four more children, Phoebe Leonard (1894-1991), Esther (1896-1991), John Leonard (1899-1978) and Hannah Victoria (also known as Girlie) (1902-1976). In 1912, Frank Charles Stanley (1891-1975) immigrated to Canada. Frank Stanley served in the 29th Battalion (nicknamed Tobin's Tigers) during the First World War. He received a Military Medal for bravery while serving as lieutenant. Esther Love and Frank Stanley maintained a relationship through letter writing during the First World War and in 1921 after he returned they were married at St. Alban’s Church in Burnaby. Frank and Esther Stanley (nee Love) had four children Ina Esther (1924-2017), Mary Frances, Frank Jr. and Joyce. Frank Stanley ran a service station on St. John's Street in Port Moody for many years and also served as mayor of Port Moody in the 1940s. In 1947, Ina Esther Stanley married Thomas Ramsay “Ram” Shankie (1920-1996). Ina and Thomas Ramsay Shankie had four children; David Shankie (b. 1951), Linda Shankie (Hanlon), Susan Shankie (Weston) and Kathryn Shankie. The family lived at 5351 Kalyk Avenue in Burnaby (later 3676 Kalyk Avenue). Thomas Ramsay Shankie is the son of Thomas Shankie (1872-1959) and Bertha Janet Shankie (nee Gray) (1891-1965). Thomas Shankie (Sr.) immigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1905. In 1919 Thomas Shankie married Bertha Janet Gray at Henderson Presbyterian Church in West Burnaby. Thomas was the church organist and choir master of the church. Once married, the couple moved to a house located at 3718 Barker Avenue (later became 5515 Barker Avenue). Thomas and Bertha Shankie had two children, Thomas Ramsay Shankie (1920-1996) and Janet Isabella Shankie (Bower) (1923-2014). Around the age of 46 years, Thomas Shankie joined a gym and bought a bicycle to improve his health. By 1955 at the age of 83 years, Thomas Shankie had logged over two hundred thousand miles since buying his first bicycle. His motto was "ride a bicycle if you want to stay young and live long". Thomas also competed in many cycling races. Janet Isabella Shankie Bower (1923-2014) married Charles Franklin "Frank" Bower (1914-2004) in 1947. Janet and Frank Bower had two children; Gordon Franklin Bower (1951-2003) and Janet (Flintroy).
Media Type
Photograph
Arrangement
Creators maintained digital copies of original family records along with originals. The creators kept the materials arranged by family alums and family surnames. A selection of digital copies and originals were preserved by the registrar in the order in which they were maintained and are reflected in the archival descriptions.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
See also Love family fonds
Items of ephemera are described as artifacts in the Burnaby Village Museum artifact collection.
Less detail

Margaret Norton fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat15346
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1917-1979], predominant [193-]
Collection/Fonds
Margaret Norton fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
28 photographs + 5 textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family photographs of members of the Knight-Roberts family and their home at 931 Gilmore Avenue in Burnaby along with a baptismal certificate for Margaret Knight; a marriage certificate for Margaret Knight and John Leonard Norton and school certificates for Margaret Knight.
Administrative History
Margaret “Margie” Norton (nee Knight) (1912-2010) is a daughter of Ernest Richard Knight (born 1877 in Burstow, Surrey, England) and Louise Augusta Knight (nee Ellis) (born in 1882 in South Horsham, England). Ernest Knight and Louise Ellis married in Vancouver in May 1908 at Christ Church Cathedral…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Margaret Norton fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
28 photographs + 5 textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family photographs of members of the Knight-Roberts family and their home at 931 Gilmore Avenue in Burnaby along with a baptismal certificate for Margaret Knight; a marriage certificate for Margaret Knight and John Leonard Norton and school certificates for Margaret Knight.
Administrative History
Margaret “Margie” Norton (nee Knight) (1912-2010) is a daughter of Ernest Richard Knight (born 1877 in Burstow, Surrey, England) and Louise Augusta Knight (nee Ellis) (born in 1882 in South Horsham, England). Ernest Knight and Louise Ellis married in Vancouver in May 1908 at Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver. Ernest and Louise had five children; Naida (Hansen), Margaret (Norton), Frederick "Fred", Lila (McKinley) and Dolly (Walker-Kirkwood). Margaret and Frederick were twins. Sometime in the 1920s, Ernest Knight left his wife and family and moved to Australia. After Ernest left, Louise Knight lived common law with her partner Charles Roberts. Louise and Charles had one son, Charles Thomas "Bob" Roberts. The Knight-Roberts family home was located at 931 Gilmore Avenue in Burnaby. The house was relocated to this address from the forty hundred block of Georgia Street sometime in the mid 1920s. Louise Knight-Roberts (nee Ellis) lived at 931 Gilmore Avenue in Burnaby until her death in 1950. Charles Roberts died in 1956. Margaret and her siblings attended Gilmore Avenue School until Kitchener School was completed. She was the first May Queen at Kitchener School. Margaret Knight and her twin brother Fred were among the first graduating class of Kitchener School in 1925. Margaret married John Leonard “Jack” Norton in 1947 at Vancouver Heights United Church. Margaret worked at a factory making bags for Bonar and Bemis until she married Jack. Jack worked as a stationery engineer for Nelson's Laundry. Margaret and Jack lived at the former Knight-Roberts home at 931 Gilmore Avenue. Margaret and Jack had two children, Darlene and Rey. Margaret Knight was a lifetime Burnaby resident residing at 931 Gilmore Avenue until her death at 98 yrs in 2010. Her husband Jack died in 1990.
Accession Code
BV020.34
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Date
[1917-1979], predominant [193-]
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Mary England fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumphoto12234
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1915-1934 (date of originals), copied 2020
Collection/Fonds
Mary England fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
5 photographs (tiffs) : b&w ; 600 dpi
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a small collection of photographs documenting the life of Mary England (nee Gooding). Photographs include the house of Mary and Alfred England on Royal Oak Avenue; Mary England's house on Griffiths Avenue and of Mary and Alfred England ca. 1915.
Administrative History
Mary England was born to parents Robert and Mary (nee Morgan) Gooding in Wales on March 30, 1879. Mary and her brother Robert Nathaniel Gooding came to Canada from the U.K. in 1905. While living in Canada, Mary met and married Alfred Henry England. The couple lived in a house on Hornby Street in Va…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Mary England fonds
Date
1915-1934 (date of originals), copied 2020
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
5 photographs (tiffs) : b&w ; 600 dpi
Accession Code
BV020.9
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a small collection of photographs documenting the life of Mary England (nee Gooding). Photographs include the house of Mary and Alfred England on Royal Oak Avenue; Mary England's house on Griffiths Avenue and of Mary and Alfred England ca. 1915.
Administrative History
Mary England was born to parents Robert and Mary (nee Morgan) Gooding in Wales on March 30, 1879. Mary and her brother Robert Nathaniel Gooding came to Canada from the U.K. in 1905. While living in Canada, Mary met and married Alfred Henry England. The couple lived in a house on Hornby Street in Vancouver which they ran as a boarding house. In 1914, Mary and Alfred moved to a house located at 1906 Royal Oak Avenue and Victory Street in Burnaby (house number changed to7353 after 1958). Alfred worked in the composing room at the Vancouver Province until his untimely death in October 1917. Mary continued to reside in their home on Royal Oak until 1930 when she built and moved into a house on Griffiths Avenue in Burnaby. Mary was employed as an office clerk with the Municipality of the District of Burnaby. Mary England was an active member of the community including becoming the first president of the West Burnaby auxiliary of the Victorian Order of Nurses between 1915 and 1917 and a founding member of the Burnaby Civic Employees Union in 1919. She often spoke out about issues that impacted female workers, and felt that the wages for the inside workers, many of whom were women, were inadequate. Often on England’s motions, the Union from time to time brought to Council concerns about the treatment of women, including behaviour of managers in the general office, suspension of a young woman for her choice of clothes, and in 1931, health issues that warranted “accommodation…for the ladies in the Hall.” Mary served as president of the union from 1922-1923 and held leadership roles in the New Westminster Trades and Labour Council. Mary served as union secretary until 1934, after losing her position as municipal employee during the Great Depression. She and the union tried to fight her dismissal, but to no avail as they were told that the reasons were purely economic. The union honoured her with a Life time membership at St. Alban's Hall a few months later. Mary died in Burnaby in 1959 at the age of 79 years.
Media Type
Photograph
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Mary Forsyth fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat87823
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1893] (date of original) -2004
Collection/Fonds
Mary Forsyth fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Textual records, graphic material and cartographic material
Scope and Content
Records consist of material created and collected by Mary Forsyth. Records include correspondence, photographs, a map, presentation notes and reviews along with research for historical and biographical essays pertaining to pioneering families, organizations and the geographical area of South Burnab…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1893] (date of original) -2004
Collection/Fonds
Mary Forsyth fonds
Physical Description
Textual records, graphic material and cartographic material
Description Level
Fonds
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Accession Number
2014-27
Scope and Content
Records consist of material created and collected by Mary Forsyth. Records include correspondence, photographs, a map, presentation notes and reviews along with research for historical and biographical essays pertaining to pioneering families, organizations and the geographical area of South Burnaby. One of her major research projects consists of "A Walking Environment for South Burnaby" which also became a proposal to The Corporation of the District of Burnaby. Historical information and photographs pertaining to South Burnaby pioneer families and organizations were compiled from interviews with the intention of publishing a book.
History/Biography
Mary Gertrude (Bolton) Forsyth was born at her parents' home in Burnaby on March 5, 1923 and was the daughter of Richard Bolton and Gertrude (nee Hern). Mary's father, Richard, immigrated to Canada from Sunderland, England in 1911. He lived with his brother George in New Westminster prior to purchasing property in South Burnaby in 1916 and built a bungalow located at 859 Marine Drive. Richard Bolton was employed as the municipal treasurer for the Corporation of the District of Burnaby and in 1919, he returned to Sunderland with three months leave of absence to marry, Mary Gertrude Hern, daughter of Captain and Mrs. John Hern. Mary grew up with her parents and sister Nancy in the house that her father built on Marine Drive. She married Lloyd Forsyth in 1946 and they had two children; Diane and Robert. Mary and her husband raised their family in Burnaby and built a house at 855 Marine Drive, on the lot originally purchased by her father and moved later to a house located at 6457 Marine Drive. In 1964, after her children were grown, Mary completed her teaching degree at Simon Fraser University and went on to teach kindergarten at Nelson Elementary school. While a teacher within the Burnaby School District, Mary was instrumental in adopting ballet as part of the school curriculum. Mary was an active member of the Burnaby Historical Society participating and leading local events and seminars. She was inspired by the idea of the 'Housewives Holiday', originally initiated by the Vancouver "Y’ S". In February 1960, she was integral in forming a committee in South Burnaby working alongside Ruth Turner, Faye Treagh and Dorothy Turnbull. The "Housewives Holiday" committee (a branch of the Clinton-Glenwood Recreation Association) planned several events at Bonsor Hall for Burnaby housewives from October 6 to December 8, 1960. After her retirement from teaching, Mary returned to Simon Fraser University to do further studies and in 1983 she wrote an essay for an Environmental Education course, titled, "A Walking Environment for South Burnaby". The essay was conducted as a feasibility study to provide a walking environment in her community and included a formal essay, a media book, a map and a slide presentation which was presented to a variety of local community groups. In 1984, Mary was the recipient of the North Fraser Harbour Commission Award to further her work on this project. In October 1986, her essay was adapted as a proposal to The Corporation of the District of Burnaby for a walking and cycling trail system for South Burnaby. Her proposal was taken into consideration by council and was later adopted by the Parks and Recreation Commission. Mary was very much interested in the history of South Burnaby and spent time between 1990 to 2004 conducting research through the Burnaby Historical Society, The City of Burnaby Archives and several pioneering families who agreed to share their family records and be interviewed. Mary compiled her research into short historical and biographical essays by geographical area, family name and organization. Mary (Bolton) Forsyth lived her whole life in South Burnaby and was an active and committed member of her community. She died on November 10, 2010.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Cartographic Material
Creator
Forsyth, Mary
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 572, MSS185
Less detail

Maurice Phillips collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord66716
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1930-1950
Collection/Fonds
Maurice Phillips collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 maps + 1 brochure
Scope and Content
Collection consists of three maps; 1936 Burnaby lot map, 1950 map of the Fraser Valley, 1950s map of the Fraser Canyon and one brochure entitled "Corporation of Burnaby Attractively Priced Lands."
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1930-1950
Collection/Fonds
Maurice Phillips collection
Physical Description
3 maps + 1 brochure
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-13
Scope and Content
Collection consists of three maps; 1936 Burnaby lot map, 1950 map of the Fraser Valley, 1950s map of the Fraser Canyon and one brochure entitled "Corporation of Burnaby Attractively Priced Lands."
History/Biography
Maurice Phillips was born in Victoria in 1919 and moved to East Pender Street in Vancouver during the 1930's. As a young man, he served as a cadet in the Seaforth Armory. When World War II broke out, Maurice was sent overseas with the First Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. This is where he met his future wife, Betty Joyce Thomas, who was herself serving as a member of the British Woman's Land Army (WLA). Maurice Phillips and Betty Joyce Thomas were married in Brighton, Sussex in 1943. Betty (Thomas) Phillips travelled to Canada via the Queen Mary and stayed with Maurice's sisters and mother in Vancouver in order that her daughter, Judith Phillips would be born in Canada in 1944. Maurice was in Europe until 1945 and ended up as a Captain in the army. After the war, Maurice returned to work at Woodwards but through his army contacts went to work at Barber-Ellis, a wholesale paper and envelope manufacturer. He and his wife and daugther moved to Burnaby in 1948 or 1949, first on Royal Oak and then to a house on Waltham. This is where their son William George Phillips was born in 1950 and their second daughter, Susan Maureen Phillips was born in 1953. The Phillips family often took trips to the Okanagon after the Hope Princeton highway opened. Maurice also took his son William to Sḵwx̱wú7mesh along the "new" highway when it first opened. The Phillips family lived in Buranby until Maurice was transferred east in 1960.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Phillips, Maurice
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS158
Less detail

Mayor's Office fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat88
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1828 (date of original) -2015
Collection/Fonds
Mayor's Office fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records and photographic material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created by the office of the Mayor during the administrations of Robert W. Prittie (1969-1973), Thomas W. Constable (1973-1979), David M. Mercier (1979-1981), William A. Lewarne (1981-1987), William J. Copeland (1987-1996), John Douglas Drummond (1996-2002) and Derek…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1828 (date of original) -2015
Collection/Fonds
Mayor's Office fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records and photographic material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created by the office of the Mayor during the administrations of Robert W. Prittie (1969-1973), Thomas W. Constable (1973-1979), David M. Mercier (1979-1981), William A. Lewarne (1981-1987), William J. Copeland (1987-1996), John Douglas Drummond (1996-2002) and Derek Corrigan (2002-2018).
History/Biography
On September 22, 1892 the Corporation of the District of Burnaby was established by letters patent. An integral component of this incorporation was the creation of the office of the Reeve (later called Mayor). The Reeve was to serve as the Head and Chief Executive Officer of Burnaby and was to lead the City Council in the governing of the Corporation. Burnaby’s first Reeve and Council were elected by acclamation on October 15, 1892, with formal elections held by ballot three months later. From 1893 until 1977 the Reeve and Council were elected for one-year terms, but the practice of annual elections was abandoned in favour of two-year terms in 1977. The current practice of holding elections every three years was begun in 1987. Elections of Reeve and Council were suspended altogether in 1933, however, as a financial crisis in the Corporation resulted in the Province intervening and assuming control of the local government. For ten years, Commissioners were appointed by the Provincial Government to manage the affairs of the Municipality, but by January 1943, the situation had been remedied and local elections were once again held. From 1892 until 1968 the Chief Executive Officer in Burnaby was known as “Reeve” but this nomenclature changed with revisions to the Local Government Act in the latter part of the Twentieth Century. In 1968, the Province altered the Act and abolished the practice of assigning different titles to the members of Council based on Municipal Classification and introduced "Mayor" and "Alderman" as terms applicable in all Municipalities not just those of a certain size or with a certain number of citizens. From that point on, the CEO of Burnaby has been referred to as the Mayor of the City. Despite these changes in election procedures, naming protocols, and the disruption caused by the financial crisis in the 1930s and 1940s, the roles and responsibilities of the Mayor have remained relatively stable throughout the years. As Head and Chief Executive Officer of the City, the Mayor is responsible for ensuring that the principles of law and good government are enforced in Burnaby. This includes the task of overseeing the conduct of officers and employees and directing the management of municipal business and affairs as well as chairing the meetings of Council and appointing Council Committee members. The Mayor is also charged with the duty of representing the City at public functions, in meetings with visiting dignitaries, and in participating in local community and fundraising events. Initially, the Municipal Clerk assisted the Mayor in his work by handling most correspondence and clerical tasks of the office. Today, however, the Mayor’s office retains its own administrative staff who are responsible for facilitating all schedules and arrangements for the Mayor along with coordinating his/her internal and external contacts and events. The following individuals have served as Reeve or Mayor of Burnaby: Charles R. Shaw 1892 Nicolai C. Shou 1893-1903 Charles F. Sprott 1904-1905 Peter Byrne 1906-1910 J. W. Weart 1911-1912 D. C. McGregor 1913 Hugh M. Fraser 1914-1918 T. Sanderson 1919-1920 Alexander K. McLean 1921-1926; 1928-1929 Charles C. Bell 1927 W. L. Burdick 1929 W. A. Pritchard 1930-1932 William Tate Wilson 1943-1944 George A. Morrison 1945-1949 William R. Beamish 1950-1953 Charles W. MacSorely 1954-1957 Alan H. Emmott 1958-1968 Robert W. Prittie 1969-1973 Thomas W. Constable 1973-1979 David M. Mercier 1979-1981 William A. Lewarne 1981-1987 William J. Copeland 1987-1996 Douglas P. Drummond 1996-2002 Derek Corrigan 2002-2018 Mike Hurley 2018-present The following individuals have served as provincially appointed Commissioners for the Corporation of the District of Burnaby: John Bennett 1932-1933 John Mahony 1933-1934 Hugh M. Fraser 1934-1940* R. S. Gilchrist 1941* B. C. Bracewell 1942* *Richard Bolton was Acting Commissioner for most of 1940-1942. He refused to be a full-fledged Commissioner.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Mcfarlane family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto71290
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[between 1910 and 1915]
Collection/Fonds
Mcfarlane family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one photograph of John Albert "Mac" Mcfarlane and an unidentified friend.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[between 1910 and 1915]
Collection/Fonds
Mcfarlane family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2012-03
Physical Description
1 photograph
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one photograph of John Albert "Mac" Mcfarlane and an unidentified friend.
History/Biography
John Albert "Mac" Mcfarlane came to the Vancouver area from Ontario and lived in Vancouver from 1910 to about 1915. After leaving for a short time, he returned to Vancouver and remained there for the rest of his life. Mac Mcfarlane had a daughter, Ruth (later Bromley).
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 533
Less detail

Millway family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat97224
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1898-1986
Collection/Fonds
Millway family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Textual records and photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of material collected and complied by Reginald and Betty Millway.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1898-1986
Collection/Fonds
Millway family fonds
Physical Description
Textual records and photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-05
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of material collected and complied by Reginald and Betty Millway.
History/Biography
Reginald E. "Reg" Millway was born on December 20, 1915 at Milton Regis in the County of Kent. He graduated from London University (via Regent Street Polytechnic) and was appointed to the Air Ministry Technical Division in 1937, where he remained throughout World War II. Due to a hearing impairment he was unable to join the services and instead joined the Home Guard and served on fire bomb patrol in central London. Betty was born November 16, 1916 and married Reginald Millway in 1940. Together they had four daughters; Catherine, Penelope “Penny”, Jennifer and Francis “Fran” (later Malcolm). Reginald left Britain with his family in March of 1948. They were on the last voyage of the Acquitania to Halifax, took a parlour car in a C.N. train to New Westminster and took up residence in South Burnaby. After two or three years, Reginald had established his own business, Marine Electronics. When the United Flower Growers Cooperative formed in the late 1950s, Reginald helped them assemble property at Roseberry and Marine Way in cooperation with the Director of Planning. A large auditorium was built there and Reginald helped them design, manufacture and install a complete electronic system. Modifications and additions have occurred along the way to the point that it is handling millions of dollars worth of flowers annually and it is the largest operation of its kind in Canada. Reginald Millway ran in the Burnaby elections of 1957. Newly elected Mayor Alan Emmot offered him the chairmanship of the Zoning Board of Appeal (later the Board of Variance). He remained continuously chairman for the next thirty-five years. In 1962, Reginald joined the Rotary Club of Burnaby. He served as president in 1969 and remained a member for over forty-five years. Betty Millway was an accomplished writer and was the recipient of the 1984 Canadian Author’s Association Allan Sagster Award for long and meritorious service. Reginald was an early member of the Burnaby Historical Society and served as its president for three terms. He and Blythe Eagles went to Loughborough, England, on behalf of the Society to locate and clean up the site of Robert Burnaby's grave. Reginald was also on the committee that acquired the property and organised the establishment of the Burnaby Village Museum. Betty Millway developed Robert Burnaby's family tree for the Historical Society and in the process made many contacts with prominent citizens of the Loughborough area, including the executive controller of the area, who introduced the Millways to the Mayor and Council. This formed the groundwork for a close relationship which Mayor Bill Lewarne formerly developed as a SisterCity relationship in 1985. The Millways were longstanding members of the Burnaby Beautification Committee and their garden was featured in Gardens West in the 1998 November/December issue. Betty Millway died July 21, 2005. Reginald E. Millway died November 7, 2010.
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Creator
Millway, Reginald E. "Reg"
Millway, Betty
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS157, PC 353
Less detail

Montgomery family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto77525
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1927-1962
Collection/Fonds
Montgomery family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
21 photographs : b&w
Scope and Content
Fonds consists mainly of photographs taken outside the Cunningham house which depict members of both the Montgomery and Cunningham families.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1927-1962
Collection/Fonds
Montgomery family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-09
2013-04
Physical Description
21 photographs : b&w
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists mainly of photographs taken outside the Cunningham house which depict members of both the Montgomery and Cunningham families.
History/Biography
Samuel Clifford “Monty” Montgomery born on July 24, 1894 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He studied Mechanical Engineering at McGill University in Montreal before serving in World War I. After the war, Monty came out west to Vancouver. Marjorie Elizabeth Carpenter was born on May 5, 1900 in Montreal, Quebec. She studied to be a teacher before moving out west with her sister Mildred Carpenter, brother Harold Carpenter and widowed mother Claire Carpenter in 1920. Marjorie trained to be a nurse from 1920 to 1923 when she moved to Hawaii with her sister and mother. While living in separate countries, Monty and Marjorie courted through correspondence. On July 16, 1927 Samuel Clifford “Monty” Montgomery and Marjorie Elizabeth Carpenter were married in Hawaii. The couple had two daughters. Margery Kathleen “Kathleen” Montgomery (later Green) born in 1928 and Janet Montgomery (later Fernau) born in 1934. Samuel Clifford “Monty” Montgomery met Fred Cunningham when they were young men. Monty is believed to have helped in the design of the Fred and Edna Cunningham house built in 1923 at 3555 Douglas Road in Burnaby. From 1926 to 1930, both Fred and Monty were working in Ocean Falls, British Columbia. Monty was working at a Mill and Fred was an insurance agent. Marjorie (Carpenter) Montgomery was ill with tuberculosis during this time, so their only daughter at the time, Margery Kathleen “Kathleen” Montgomery was sent to live with Edna Cunningham in Burnaby from the spring of 1929 to the fall of 1930. Though the Montgomery family had settled in Rossland, British Columbia, they would make frequent trips to Vancouver to visit the Cunninghams. Kathleen met Lewis Green in Vancouver and on September 16, 1950 they were married. Their wedding reception was held at the Cunningham’s house. They lived most of their married lives in Vancouver, and each month Kathleen would visit her ‘Aunty’ Edna Cunningham. Janet would visit her ‘Aunty' Edna each week; later she moved permanently to the United Kingdom. The Cunningham and Montgomery families have remained close friends over generations.
Creator
Montgomery family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 554
Less detail

Nichols Chemical Company fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumtechnicaldrawing18755
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1906-1962
Collection/Fonds
Nichols Chemical Company fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
9 technical drawings
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of technical drawings of the Nichols Chemcial Company plant and machinery.
Administrative History
In 1905 the Nichols Chemical Company, acid manufacturers based in Montreal, established their chemical plant on on a tract of land along Burrard Inlet, just east of the North Pacific Lumber Company. This company was later amalgamated and acquired by General Chemical and remains in operation on the …
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Nichols Chemical Company fonds
Date
1906-1962
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
9 technical drawings
Accession Code
BV998.23
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of technical drawings of the Nichols Chemcial Company plant and machinery.
Administrative History
In 1905 the Nichols Chemical Company, acid manufacturers based in Montreal, established their chemical plant on on a tract of land along Burrard Inlet, just east of the North Pacific Lumber Company. This company was later amalgamated and acquired by General Chemical and remains in operation on the original waterfront site. Many of workers at the Nichols Chemical Plant lived in bunkhouses in the community of Barnet including Japanese Canadian families who were employed there. Many of these families were laid off and forcibily removed during the internment of the Japanese in British Columbia during World War II.
Media Type
Technical Drawing
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Norah Code collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97227
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1904] - 1994
Collection/Fonds
Norah Code collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 photographs
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs of Tom Irving taken and collected by Norah Code, former editor of the "Burnaby Courier" newspaper during the course of her work for the newspaper.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1904] - 1994
Collection/Fonds
Norah Code collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2010-09
Physical Description
3 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs of Tom Irving taken and collected by Norah Code, former editor of the "Burnaby Courier" newspaper during the course of her work for the newspaper.
Notes
Title based on contents of collection.
Less detail

Norm Henderson collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivevideo85186
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1945-1946
Collection/Fonds
Norm Henderson collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 film reel
Scope and Content
Fonds is comprised of one film entitled 'Investment in Youth'. The film was produced for the Burnaby School Board and Norm Henderson participated as a student assistant and was present for all of the filming and much of the sound work.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1945-1946
Collection/Fonds
Norm Henderson collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-33
Physical Description
1 film reel
Media Type
Moving Images
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds is comprised of one film entitled 'Investment in Youth'. The film was produced for the Burnaby School Board and Norm Henderson participated as a student assistant and was present for all of the filming and much of the sound work.
History/Biography
Norm Henderson came from Saskatchewan to Burnaby with his parents in December of 1940 to visit his grandmothers. Norm and his parents stayed on and bought the Old Orchard Auto Park on the corner of Kingsway and Willingdon Avenue, which they ran until 1944. Norm attended Burnaby South High School from 1941 to 1947, during which time he was involved in the production of the Burnaby School Board film; “Investment in Youth." In 1945 Norm got a part time job at Woodward’s Department Store in Vancouver where he worked until he went into teacher training at Vancouver Normal School in the early nineteen-fifties. Kathleen MacFarlane (later Henderson) was born in 1929 and grew up in Vancouver. Kathleen also went through teacher training at Vancouver Normal School. Norm and Kathleen (MacFarlane) Henderson were married in 1953 and moved to a small suite at Patterson Avenue and Kingsway. Norm was a teacher at Gilmore Avenue School and Kathleen taught at Nelson Avenue Elementary School. Norm was a member of West Burnaby United Church from 1941 until he and Kathleen moved to Richmond in 1959.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo/MI catalogue 565
Creator
Henderson, Norman "Norm"
Less detail

Oakalla Prison collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat16696
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1974]-1991
Collection/Fonds
Oakalla Prison collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
37.5 cm of textual records + 125 photographs + 1 videocassette
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a selection of Oakalla correctional facility records including reports, correspondence, photographs and a video tour of the death row incarceration cells inside Oakalla Prison taken by Burnaby Village Museum curator after the facility was closed. Most of the photographs docum…
Administrative History
The Oakalla Prison Farm (also known as the Lower Mainland Regional Correctional Centre) was a model prison farm on 185 acres of land next to Deer Lake in Burnaby. The Oakalla Prison Farm opened in 1912 and was initially designed to hold 150 men and 50 women. By the 1950s, the population was well ov…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Oakalla Prison collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
37.5 cm of textual records + 125 photographs + 1 videocassette
Scope and Content
Collection consists of a selection of Oakalla correctional facility records including reports, correspondence, photographs and a video tour of the death row incarceration cells inside Oakalla Prison taken by Burnaby Village Museum curator after the facility was closed. Most of the photographs document Oakalla Prison in 1991 and were taken during the Open House event or when Burnaby Village Museum staff were granted access to retreive items prior to demolition. A small selection of facility photographs of site and staff are also included.
Records are arranged into series:
1) Oakalla correctional facility records series
2) Oakalla correctional facility photographs series
3) Oakalla documentary photographs and video series
Administrative History
The Oakalla Prison Farm (also known as the Lower Mainland Regional Correctional Centre) was a model prison farm on 185 acres of land next to Deer Lake in Burnaby. The Oakalla Prison Farm opened in 1912 and was initially designed to hold 150 men and 50 women. By the 1950s, the population was well over one thousand. The prison included a working farm which included a dairy, vegetable gardens and livestock. In 1959 the last execution in British Columbia took place at Oakalla. Following a riot and mass escape in the late 1980s, poor conditions, and public outcry, Oakalla closed down in 1991. In the fall of 1991, the prison was opened up to the public whereby tours were conducted of the site. Not long after, buildings were demolished and a residential housing development took it's place. A playground now sits on the former site of the main building. In 1991, staff from Burnaby Village Museum were granted access, documenting the site prior to it's demolition. Many Oakalla artifacts and records were salvaged and accessioned into the Burnaby Village Museum's permanent collection.
Names
Oakalla Prison Farm
Lower Mainland Regional Correctional Centre
Accession Code
BV991.45
Date
[1974]-1991
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Moving Images
Related Material
See also Oakalla artifacts - BV991.45
Arrangement
Arrangement of records and series of this collection is based on record creators and subject that. Facility records and photographs were created and collected by Oakalla correctional facility staff and documentary photographs and a video from 1991 were created by Burnaby Village Museum staff.
Notes
Title based on content of collection
Some records within this collection are closed. Contact Burnaby Village Museum for access.
Less detail

144 records – page 5 of 8.