144 records – page 4 of 8.

Grieve family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord66379
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1908-1966
Collection/Fonds
Grieve family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
5 files of textual records and 15 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of publications, correspondence and photographs pertaining to the Grieve family of North Burnaby.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1908-1966
Collection/Fonds
Grieve family fonds
Physical Description
5 files of textual records and 15 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-04
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of publications, correspondence and photographs pertaining to the Grieve family of North Burnaby.
History/Biography
William Ewart “Bill” Grieve was born at Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan (then the North-West Territories) on August 15, 1885. He was the eldest child of John and Flora Grieve. Bill attended school at Qu’Appelle until he was twelve years old and went to work at a furniture store. In October of 1902, at the age of seventeen, he moved to the Okanagan and worked on a Kettle Valley Railroad construction camp for four years. Bill enlisted at Kamloops in 1915 and served overseas as a member of the 72nd Seaforth Battalion. He was wounded at the Battle of Lens in August of 1917 and was invalided home in November of 1917. On April 14, 1920, William Ewart “Bill” Grieve married Christine. Bill’s ill health sent them to California for a year but by April of 1923, they had returned to Canada and bought a house at 3925 Triumph Street in North Burnaby. Bill worked as manager of the Used Car Department of Johnston Motors Ltd in Vancouver for the next twenty years. He retired in 1946 and opened his own used car business at 4507 East Hastings Street, Burnaby. Christine Grieve was a life-long member of the Women’s Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada. Christine and Bill had two sons, Kenneth Ewart “Ken” and William Ronald “Ronald.” Kenneth “Ken” Ewart Grieve was born about 1922. By 1928 he was in grade three at Gilmore Avenue School and by 1948 he was at the University of British Columbia. Kenneth Ewart Grieve died prior to March of 2006. William Ronald Grieve was born about 1929 and was thirteen years old during World War II. Like his older brother before him, he attended the University of British Columbia. He later married and had children, one of whom was Catherine E. “Cathy” Grieve (later Linowski). William Ronald Grieve died April 7, 1970 at the age of forty-one. Bill served as president of the North Burnaby Liberal Association for four years and was liberal candidate for the Burnaby Provincial riding at the General Election in 1937. He also served on the Burnaby School Board from 1943 to 1957 consecutively. William Ewart “Bill” Grieve died April 1, 1969 at the age of eighty-three.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Grieve, William Ewart "Bill"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS155, photo catalogue 523
Less detail

Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd. fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto93711
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1987-1998
Collection/Fonds
Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd. fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3847 photographs + 4 computer disks
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of street-level photographs of commercial, industrial, residential, and undeveloped properties in Burnaby, BC. These photographs originally formed part of the Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd's real estate appraisal records.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1987-1998
Collection/Fonds
Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd. fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2017-39
Physical Description
3847 photographs + 4 computer disks
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
Open access
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of street-level photographs of commercial, industrial, residential, and undeveloped properties in Burnaby, BC. These photographs originally formed part of the Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd's real estate appraisal records.
History/Biography
Grover, Elliott, & Co. Ltd (Grover Elliot) is a real estate appraisal, valuation, and consulting firm that opened on January 2, 1974. The firm provides real estate appraisals for all property types throughout British Columbia, including land, residential, industrial, and commercial properties. Grover Elliot was first located at 5685 Cambie Street in Vancouver, BC. In June 1985, the firm moved its offices to the Burrard Building in downtown Vancouver in order to provide a base closer to the Land Title Office where employees regularly conducted research. In May 2016, it moved to 609 West Hastings Street in Vancouver, BC. In February 2018, following the retirement of owner and President Larry Dybvig, the firm was purchased by three Grover Elliott appraisers: Angus Heaps, Brent McLaren, and Michael Oord. Dybvig served as President of the firm from 2001 to 2018.
Creator
Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd.
Notes
Photo catalogue 622
Less detail

Hall family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto77350
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[194-] (date of original)
Collection/Fonds
Hall family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (copy-print) ; 12 x 17 cm
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a photograph of the Hall family house. Built by the Hall family, it was the original house to bear the address of 7144 Hastings Street, Burnaby.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[194-] (date of original)
Collection/Fonds
Hall family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-08
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (copy-print) ; 12 x 17 cm
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a photograph of the Hall family house. Built by the Hall family, it was the original house to bear the address of 7144 Hastings Street, Burnaby.
History/Biography
From 1936 to 1937 Lawrence V. Hall built a house in Burnaby at 7144 Hastings Street with his son Earl S. Hall. The house was roughly four hundred and eighty square feet with no indoor plumbing nor electricity when Lawrence married and brought his second wife and her son Hamish to live in the house in 1940. Hamish Hall attended Capitol Hill School and lived at the Hastings Street house until about 1950 when he left to work and support himself.
Creator
Hall family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 553
Less detail

Harold Edward Winch collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat3638
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1914]-2003
Collection/Fonds
Harold Edward Winch collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
approx. 23 cm of textual records + approx. 600 photographs (b&w + col.)
Scope and Content
Collection consists of records relating to Harold Edward Winch's family life and political career. It includes photographs of Winch's parents, family, and wife Jessie, as well as photographs, correspondence and other textual records from Harold's political work and experiences, a travel diary, gues…
Administrative History
Harold Edward Winch (June 18, 1907-February 1, 1993) was born in Loughton, Essex, England to Ernest “Ernie” Edward Winch (March 22, 1879-January 11, 1957) and his wife Linda Marian (nee Hendy). Harold was the eldest of six children; the others were Eileen, Charlie, Grace, Alan, and Eric. Ernest mov…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Harold Edward Winch collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
approx. 23 cm of textual records + approx. 600 photographs (b&w + col.)
Scope and Content
Collection consists of records relating to Harold Edward Winch's family life and political career. It includes photographs of Winch's parents, family, and wife Jessie, as well as photographs, correspondence and other textual records from Harold's political work and experiences, a travel diary, guest books, and certificates. The collection includes a number of Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and New Democratic Party newspapers. The collection also includes records relating to Winch's death, such as obituaries, memorials, articles, and a guest book. Finally, the collection includes a small number of records relating to Winch's father, Ernie Winch, and his own political career. The collection has been arranged into five series: 1) Harold E. Winch biographical records (1933-2003) 2) Harold E. Winch photographs series (1914-[ca. 1990]) 3) Harold E. Winch political photograph album and records series ([1937]-1993) 4) Harold E. Winch personal records series (1949-1993) 5) Harold E. Winch newspaper collection series (1936-1986)
Administrative History
Harold Edward Winch (June 18, 1907-February 1, 1993) was born in Loughton, Essex, England to Ernest “Ernie” Edward Winch (March 22, 1879-January 11, 1957) and his wife Linda Marian (nee Hendy). Harold was the eldest of six children; the others were Eileen, Charlie, Grace, Alan, and Eric. Ernest moved to BC in 1909, followed by Linda, Harold, and Eileen in 1910. The remaining children were born in BC. Ernie, a brick mason, built the family a series of homes in the Lower Mainland as the family moved around for a number of years, living in Burnaby, White Rock, Mission, and Vancouver before finally settling back in Burnaby. Ernie Winch joined the Social Democratic Party of Canada in 1911 and became secretary of the party in 1913, and was heavily involved in trade unions and the labour and socialist movements. He helped re-establish the Socialist Party of Canada (BC) in 1932, which soon merged with the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF). Ernie was a CCF MLA in Burnaby from 1933 until his death in 1957, following which his son-in-law Cedric Cox (husband of Eileen) won the seat in a byelection. Ernie was particularly interested in institutions, including jails, mental hospitals, and industrial schools, and founded the New Vista Society in 1943 to provide a live-in rehabilitation program to women with psychiatric problems. The organization later expanded to focus on low-cost housing for seniors, and an apartment complex was built for this purpose in Burnaby. Both Ernie and Harold were lifelong members of the New Vista Society board of trustees. Harold Winch trained as an electrician, but also followed his father into politics, serving as a CCF MLA in Vancouver East from 1933 to 1953 – Ernie and Harold were two of the first seven CCF MLAs. The Winches set a Guinness world record for the longest father-and-son parliamentary tenure. Like his father, Harold was also highly involved in the labour movement, and acted as a liaison between workers and government during the Depression, particularly during the relief camp strike in Vancouver in 1935 which precipitated the On to Ottawa trek. He was the leader of the BC CCF from 1938 to 1953, and Leader of the Opposition from 1941 to 1953. In 1953, Harold stepped down from provincial politics to enter the federal arena, and served as a CCF MP for Vancouver East from 1953 to 1961, when the CCF became the New Democratic Party (NDP); Harold continued to serve as an NDP MP from 1961 to 1972, when he retired for health reasons. In federal office, Harold remained dedicated to the working class and humanitarian causes, issuing reports on subject such as unemployment, veterans’ rights, low-cost housing for seniors, animal welfare, drug addiction, and mental health concerns. Harold earned honorary law degrees from both UBC (1973) and SFU (1974). He was involved in numerous humanitarian and other organizations and his roles included president and treasurer of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association; co-founder of the Immigrant Services Society of Vancouver; director of the Boag Foundation; and lifelong member of the Association for Protection of Fur Bearing Animals. Harold married Dorothy Ada Hutchinson (December 1, 1907-October 24, 1974) on May 11, 1929. They had three children: Donald, Gerald ("Jerry"), and Shirley. Following Dorothy’s death, Harold married Jessie Margaret Mendels (nee Sweezey) (June 29, 1913-May 9, 2006) on May 19, 1981. Jessie grew up in Grand Forks, BC, and her family moved to Vancouver when she was in high school. Her first husband was George Edward Mendels (November 2, 1905-September 2, 1978). She had no children. Jessie served as a St. John’s ambulance driver during World War II. She was also active in the CCF and NDP parties in BC, having been Provincial Secretary for the CCF in the 1940s, a vice-president of the party in the 1950s, and Provincial Secretary for the NDP in the 1960s. Like Harold, she later served as a director of the Boag Foundation. Jessie traveled widely throughout her life. The collection contains a small number of Jessie’s photographs. Harold Winch died in White Rock, where he and Jessie had retired, on February 1, 1993.
Accession Code
BV013.12
Date
[1914]-2003
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Arrangement
Records within fonds have been arranged by subject and format.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Harold H. Johnston fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto47202
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1958-1983
Collection/Fonds
Harold H. Johnston fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
106 photographs (jpeg) : b&w
Scope and Content
This collection of 106 photographs depicts locations in Burnaby and its environs.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1958-1983
Collection/Fonds
Harold H. Johnston fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2008-08
Physical Description
106 photographs (jpeg) : b&w
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
Open access
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
This collection of 106 photographs depicts locations in Burnaby and its environs.
History/Biography
Harold Henry (Hal) Johnston (15 September 1930 - 15 January 1985) was born in Ardreagh, Northern Ireland, trained as a plasterer, and immigrated to Canada in 1951. Settling in Edmonton in 1952, he married Frances Henriette Coulombe (born 29 July 1932) in June 1955. He worked as a plasterer in Edmonton until late 1957, when they moved to Burnaby, British Columbia. They purchased, renovated and occupied 4447 Venables Street. They had two children, Sean Francois Johnston (born 30 October 1956) and Wendy Marie Johnston (born 9 October 1959). In Burnaby, they attended Holy Cross Primary School (1450 Delta Avenue), Alpha Secondary School (4600 Parker Street) and Simon Fraser University, later completing PhDs at the University of Leeds and Universite de Montreal, respectively. Harold Johnston continued to work as a plasterer, serving in 1969 as business agent for the Plasterers' and Stonemasons' Union, and then self-employed as A&H Plastering and Stucco from 1970 until his death in 1985. Frances Johnston worked part-time as secretary for Holy Cross parish rectory. Harold Johnston was a serious photographer and camera collector, recording some 1500 rolls of black and white slide film in 35mm and other formats on a variety of cameras from the early 1950s until 1984, mainly of locations in the Lower Mainland and Pacific Northwest. From 1960 he processed and printed the negatives himself in a home darkroom. From 1970 Johnston recorded a number of artists, illustrators and sculptors working in Vancouver's downtown east side, notably Wil Hudson (fine printer and typographer), Keith Shields (sculptor), Frits Jacobsen (illustrator), Charles Butler (wood sculptor) and Bill Shoebotham (primitive artist). **This biographical sketch was based on information prepared by Dr. Sean Johnston and provided to the City of Burnaby Archives in April, 2008.**
Creator
Johnston, Harold H.
Less detail

Harry Stanley Bate fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord65612
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1924-1926
Collection/Fonds
Harry Stanley Bate fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 boxes of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of two boxes of textual records mostly pertaining to the Burnaby Police Commission. Included in the fonds are publications, meeting minutes and reports.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1924-1926
Collection/Fonds
Harry Stanley Bate fonds
Physical Description
2 boxes of textual records
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2010-09
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of two boxes of textual records mostly pertaining to the Burnaby Police Commission. Included in the fonds are publications, meeting minutes and reports.
History/Biography
Harry Stanley “Stanley” Bate was born April 16, 1895 in London England, the son of Florence Ellen Barnes and Harry Symonds Bate. Florence and Harry Bate immigrated to Canada in July of 1913. Bertha “Bunny” Sawyer was born February 10, 1889 in London England, the daughter of Ellen and Willard Sawyer. She sang in a choir at the Crystal Palace, where she met Stanley Bates. Bunny and Stanley were married on August 5, 1917 and were only together two days before Stanley was sent overseas. Bunny followed her in-laws to Canada alone. Stanley joined them a full two years later. The young couple bought their first house at 2137Royal Oak Avenue in Burnaby. Their first child, Kathleen Frances Bate was born at home on March 15, 1920. On July 22, 1921, twins Kenneth Willard Stanley Bate and Gordon Bate were born but unfortunately only Kenneth survived. Stanley Bates worked as a salesman and was a member of the Burnaby Police Commission for over half a decade, beginning January 28, 1924. By December of 1925, he and his family of four had moved to 2331 Grey Avenue in Burnaby. Their daughter Kathleen Frances Bate married Joseph Norton Would on December 19, 1942 and gave them four grandchildren; Robert Norton (Staff Sergeant R.N. Would) Carol Frances, Barbara Elaine and Gordon Lawrence Would. Bunny and Stanley’s son Kenneth married Madge Mathews. Kenneth worked as an undertaker at Woodlawn-Bowell in New Westminster and he and his wife kept in close contact with his extended family. Harry Stanley Bate died April 6, 1945. Later, Bunny married her second husband, George Loomes. Bertha Sawyer Bate Loomes died December 27, 1976.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Bate, Harry Stanley "Stanley"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS143
Less detail

Hazel Simnett collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat71379
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1910-1996]
Collection/Fonds
Hazel Simnett collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
13 files of textual records : ill. (some col.) ; 9 paintings : colour print ; 2 photographs : b&w
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of City generated records, personal records and political records collected by Hazel Simnett.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1910-1996]
Collection/Fonds
Hazel Simnett collection
Physical Description
13 files of textual records : ill. (some col.) ; 9 paintings : colour print ; 2 photographs : b&w
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-22
2012-03
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of City generated records, personal records and political records collected by Hazel Simnett.
History/Biography
Hazel Simnett was born in Burnaby in 1922 to Frederick and Mary Ann Simnett and grew up looking up to her father who was very involved in labour and unions. A politically active citizen, Hazel Simnett has supported the Canadian Commonwealth Federation (CCF) and the New Democratic Party (NDP). She once ran as a New Democratic Party candidate for Burnaby City Council. Hazel Simnett attended Kingsway West Public School and Burnaby South High School in Burnaby. During the 1970s, Hazel Simnett was President of the Century Park Museum Association which governs Burnaby Heritage Museum and published the work "Bygones of Burnaby". Hazel Simnett worked on the campaign team of Joan Sawicki from 1990 to 1991, which led Sawicki to be elected as Burnaby-Willingdon riding's MLA. Hazel Simnett volunteered her time to be a member of the Burnaby Advisory Planning Commission from 1993 to 1996. In 2006, Hazel Simnett won the Burnaby Local Hero Award for her volunteer work at the New Vista Society where she served as chair for a number of years. She also served as a member of the Burnaby Historical Society and established the Hazel Simnett Endowment with the Burnaby Public Library to bring a collection of books on Canadian history and social issues.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Graphic Material
Creator
Simnett, Hazel
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS167
Less detail

Herbert Yee Law family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat18929
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1938-1959] (date of originals), 2017-2019 (date of duplication)
Collection/Fonds
Herbert Yee Law family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
4 photographs (tiffs + jpgs)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of photographs of Herbert Yee Law, United Fruit Growers, his farm on Marine Drive and a scanned copy of a survey plan of District Lots 163, 162, 157, 158 and 165.
Administrative History
Herbert (Yee) Law was born in New Westminster British Columbia in 1916. Between 1938 and 1945, Yee Law worked for the United Fraser Growers Limited in Vancouver. The company was a wholesaler that purchased produce from Chinese farmers. In 1948 Yee Law purchased land from another Chinese family alon…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Herbert Yee Law family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
4 photographs (tiffs + jpgs)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of photographs of Herbert Yee Law, United Fruit Growers, his farm on Marine Drive and a scanned copy of a survey plan of District Lots 163, 162, 157, 158 and 165.
Administrative History
Herbert (Yee) Law was born in New Westminster British Columbia in 1916. Between 1938 and 1945, Yee Law worked for the United Fraser Growers Limited in Vancouver. The company was a wholesaler that purchased produce from Chinese farmers. In 1948 Yee Law purchased land from another Chinese family along Marine Drive in the Big Bend Area of Burnaby. From this location, Yee Law operated a Chinese market garden. Yee Law and his wife Jean had five daughters who attended schools in the area including Riverway West School, McPherson Park School and Burnaby South High School. In 1954, Yee Law continued to live in the area but left his farm to work for a plastic bag company on Annacis Island. Herbert (Yee) Law died in 2003.
Accession Code
BV017.40
BV019.11
Date
[1938-1959] (date of originals), 2017-2019 (date of duplication)
Media Type
Photograph
Cartographic Material
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Hill family and Vidal family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat82116
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1850-1983]
Collection/Fonds
Hill family and Vidal family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
255 photographs : b&w and sepia and 9.5 cm of textual records : ill. (some col.)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs and textual records from the Vidal and Hill family. Textual records include handwritten family trees, typed and handwritten biographical information of the Jones, Wright, Hyde, Vidal, and Hill families, copies of photographic prints, published works by J. H. Vidal and…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1850-1983]
Collection/Fonds
Hill family and Vidal family fonds
Physical Description
255 photographs : b&w and sepia and 9.5 cm of textual records : ill. (some col.)
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Accession Number
2013-03
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs and textual records from the Vidal and Hill family. Textual records include handwritten family trees, typed and handwritten biographical information of the Jones, Wright, Hyde, Vidal, and Hill families, copies of photographic prints, published works by J. H. Vidal and William Cowper, newspaper clippings, and a New Testament.
History/Biography
Minard Gerald “Gerry” Hill was born in Burnaby on July 31, 1893 to Marian (nee Berkeley) and Bernard Richard Hill. Marian was born in London, England. Bernard Hill, born in Bengal, India in 1858 to Sir Richard Hill and Jane Ann (nee Rollinson) where his father worked for the East Indian Railway, was one of the early inhabitants of Burnaby. Despite their year s of training as engineers, Bernard, along with his brother, Louis Claude Hill became strawberry farmers and owned all the land between Burnaby Lake and Deer Lake where Deer Creek runs, and half way around Deer Lake. Bernard built his family home at Douglas Road near Deer Lake in 1892. After the decline in the strawberry industry, Bernard worked as a surveyor for the municipality. Bernard also served as a Burnaby trustee and as councilor of Burnaby in 1904, 1905, 1906, and 1909. His brother, Louis was one of the first members elected to the Burnaby council and served in 1892, 1893, 1894, and 1910. Louis, born in 1860, married Annie Sarah Kendrick (born in 1896). Together they had one child, Katherine “Kitty” Maude. Kitty, born in 1898, later married William “Bob” John Peers in 1925. Bernard and Marian had four children: A. Claude (born in England around 1885, married Marion “Mamie”), Frank L., Winnifred “Winnie” L., and Gerry. Gerry attended Miss Harriet Woodward’s kindergarten class, and went on to Edmonds School with Miss Ellen Lister as his teacher. He later went to Central high school in New Westminster, often on horseback. Gerry served in World War I, signing his recruitment papers on November 9, 1914. When he returned home, he worked felling trees, then as an apprentice surveyor and finally as a carpenter. His father, Bernard died in Burnaby on March 27, 1939 at the age of eighty. Charlotte Elizabeth Vidal was born in 1897 in the United States to Louisa Sophia (nee Jones) and Herbert P. Vidal. Louisa Vidal (1871-1943) was a descendent of Jones of Exeter of England and the House of Llanio Cardigan of Wales. Herbert Vidal (1868-1934)’s father was Alexander Vidal (1819-1906). Alexander Vidal, born in Brocknell, England, immigrated to Upper Canada in 1835 and later served as a senator of Canada from 1873 to 1906. He married Catherine Louisa Wright, the daughter of Capt. William Elliot Wright. Both of Charlotte’s parents, Louisa and Herbert, were born in Ontario. Charlotte Vidal was sister to Dorothy Kate and Alexander E. E. Vidal. Minard G. Hill (aged 27) and Charlotte E. Vidal (aged 23) married on September 28, 1920 in Vancouver. Gerry built a house for him and his wife about a thousand feet from his parents’ home. He also bought property at Yellow Point on Vancouver Island around this time. By the early 1930s Gerry had moved to Yellow Point permanently and begun building the Yellow Point Lodge. Gerry and Charlotte bore three children: David, Lesley C. (born in 1929) and Gerald. Gerry was later remarried to Elizabeth (nee Holen) and had one child: Richard Grant McEwan Hill born in Ladysmith. Lesley married M. Clarke and had two boys: Roy and Graham. She later married B. Durban and had four boys: Patrick, Michael, Gary, and Grant. Charlotte died February 11, 1984 at the age of eighty-seven. Gerry died January 30, 1988 in Ladysmith at the age of ninety-three.
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Creator
Hill Family
Vidal family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 550, MSS176
Less detail

Hugh H. Stewart fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat9771
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[188_]-1960
Collection/Fonds
Hugh H. Stewart fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records + 2 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual records and photographs collected or created by Hugh H. Stewart in the course of his personal and professional life. Records include receipts relating to property sales and taxes, utilities, association memberships (Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Vancouver Heights Ratep…
Administrative History
Hugh Henry Stewart was born July 18 1887 to Duncan Hugh (1860-1935) and Henrietta Stewart (1860-1944) in South Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. The couple moved to Nanaimo in 1888 with their four children, the oldest of which was Hugh Henry. The family moved to Vancouver in about 1908 and lived at 9…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Hugh H. Stewart fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records + 2 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual records and photographs collected or created by Hugh H. Stewart in the course of his personal and professional life. Records include receipts relating to property sales and taxes, utilities, association memberships (Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Vancouver Heights Ratepayers Association, Burnaby Lions Club and Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans), insurance, loans and healthcare along with an elections candidate card and documents from his business “Stewart’s Cartage and Fuel Supply”; minutes from the Ratepayers Association and a handwritten recipe for potato salad. Records have been arranged into the following series: 1) Hugh H. Stewart photographs series 2) Hugh H. Stewart personal documents series 3) Stewart's Cartage and Fuel Supply business records series 4) Hugh H. Stewart associations and memberships series
Administrative History
Hugh Henry Stewart was born July 18 1887 to Duncan Hugh (1860-1935) and Henrietta Stewart (1860-1944) in South Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. The couple moved to Nanaimo in 1888 with their four children, the oldest of which was Hugh Henry. The family moved to Vancouver in about 1908 and lived at 995 West 7th Avenue while Duncan Stewart worked as a carpenter. Hugh Henry found work as a hardware clerk at the “Forbes and Van Horne” hardware store located at 52 West Hastings, Vancouver. He worked at the store until WWI broke out and his wages were cut. In 1910 Hugh Henry Stewart moved to Burnaby and purchased a house in District Lot 116, in the 3900 block of Albert Street between Ingleton Avenue and McDonald Avenue. This was the only house in this block at the time (3902 Albert Street) but the following year, five more houses were built. In 1911, Hugh married Patience (known as Bertha) Alberta Inglis of Vancouver and between 1911 and 1912, Hugh cleared land around the house. The couple raised three children at their home in Vancouver Heights (now named Burnaby Heights); Duncan Hugh, Daniel Melbourne and Audrey Pearl. In 1914, the Vancouver Heights Ratepayers Association was formed and Hugh Stewart joined. This association lobbied city council to establish land uses which they felt could benefit the citizens of North Burnaby. Following his work at the hardware store, Hugh went to work as a longshoreman at the Hastings Mill in Vancouver and the Barnet Mill in Burnaby. In the 1920s, Stewart started up his own business delivering fuel to households in North Burnaby. His business was named “Stewart’s Cartage and Fuel Supply” which had an office located at 3870 East Hastings Street. Stewart moved his business office to their home in the 1950s which continued to operate at this location until the early 1960s. In 1926, the Burnaby Board of Trade was formed with Hugh Stewart as one of the founding members. The organization changed its name to the North Burnaby Board of Trade in May 1927. Hugh served as president from 1940-1946 and was instrumental in bringing about the amalgamation of the North and South Burnaby Boards of Trade to form the Burnaby Chamber of Commerce. Hugh ran for municipal council in the 1940s and was also a member of other organizations including the Burnaby Lions Club, The International Order of the Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) and the Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans. Patience Alberta Stewart died in 1967 and Hugh continued to live in their home on Albert Street until 1978. In 1979 he moved to an apartment on McGill Street in Burnaby. Hugh H. Stewart died in 1981.
Accession Code
HV979.50
Date
[188_]-1960
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Arrangement
Records are arranged by subject and format.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

In the Shadow by the Sea collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumphoto15208
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1925-1953] (date of originals)
Collection/Fonds
In the Shadow by the Sea collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
115 photographs (tiffs)
Scope and Content
Collection consists of copies of photographs from a selection of Burnaby residents that were obtained for the publication "In the Shadow by the Sea: Recollections of Burnaby's Barnet Village". Photographs include; Kapoor Sawmills Limited and the Siddoo family; the Irwin family; the Lauder family; t…
Administrative History
The book, "In the Shadow by the Sea: Recollections of Burnaby's Barnet Village" was published in 2004 as a historical project under the direction of the Community Heritage Commission. Community Heritage Commission volunteer Harry Pride was the driving force behind this project contacting many forme…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
In the Shadow by the Sea collection
Date
[1925-1953] (date of originals)
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
115 photographs (tiffs)
Accession Code
BV019.32
Scope and Content
Collection consists of copies of photographs from a selection of Burnaby residents that were obtained for the publication "In the Shadow by the Sea: Recollections of Burnaby's Barnet Village". Photographs include; Kapoor Sawmills Limited and the Siddoo family; the Irwin family; the Lauder family; the Yasui family and the Laleune family. The selection of photographs document time living and working in the Barnet area of Burnaby.
Administrative History
The book, "In the Shadow by the Sea: Recollections of Burnaby's Barnet Village" was published in 2004 as a historical project under the direction of the Community Heritage Commission. Community Heritage Commission volunteer Harry Pride was the driving force behind this project contacting many former residents of Barnet to obtain photographs and stories for the book. The book documents the history of the settlement of Burnaby's Barnet district including memoirs and photographs of various people who worked and lived there.
Media Type
Photograph
Historic Neighbourhood
Barnet (Historic Neighbourhood)
Planning Study Area
Burnaby Mountain Area
Related Material
See also, City of Burnaby Archives: Burnaby Historical Society fonds - "In the Shadow by the Sea subseries"
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
Less detail

Jackson family collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord74500
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
November 7, 1925
Collection/Fonds
Jackson family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 booklet (32 pages)
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the 1925 Official Opening booklet for the first Second Narrows Bridge.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
November 7, 1925
Collection/Fonds
Jackson family collection
Physical Description
1 booklet (32 pages)
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2012-28
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the 1925 Official Opening booklet for the first Second Narrows Bridge.
History/Biography
James Francis Coho Jackson and his wife Willena May (Campbell) Jackson moved from Ontario to Vancouver, settling in West Vancouver in 1922. They had four children together; Ruth Helen Jackson (later Thompson) born in 1910 in Lethbridge, Alberta; James F Jackson born in 1912 also born in Lethbridge; their second son John R Jackson born in 1921 in Kamloops and their youngest daughter, Dorothy Jackson (later Maclaren) born in North Vancouver in 1925. After serving overseas, James Francis Coho Jackson worked as a Court Clerk in the City of Vancouver. Ruth Helen Jackson married Robert Alexander “Bert” Thompson and had Betty Anne Thompson (later Yuill) and Robert R. “Bob” Thompson. Ruth Helen (Jackson) Thompson died in 2009 just shy of the age of ninety-nine. Dorothy Jackson married John Philip “Phil” Maclaren and settled on the North Shore. Phil commuted to work in Burnaby at Lenkirk Electric (now Telus) from 1960 to 1975. They retired and later moved to Sydney, British Columbia, where they currently live. Dorothy and Philip Maclaren’s daughter Susan Maclaren lives in Vancouver with her husband Alan Boysen and commutes to British Columbia Institute of Technology in Burnaby to teach Interior Design. Alan grew up in Burnaby and attended Burnaby North Secondary School.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Jackson family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS169
Less detail

James Massey family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto88394
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1933-1953 (date of originals), copied 2014
Collection/Fonds
James Massey family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
18 photographs (tiffs) ; 600 dpi
Scope and Content
Records consist of fourteen digitized photographs of Robert Burnaby Park and the Massey family with views of buildings, gardens and trails.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1933-1953 (date of originals), copied 2014
Collection/Fonds
James Massey family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2014-34
Physical Description
18 photographs (tiffs) ; 600 dpi
Material Details
Tiffs are copies of original photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Records consist of fourteen digitized photographs of Robert Burnaby Park and the Massey family with views of buildings, gardens and trails.
History/Biography
James Massey was born in Lancaster, England in 1890 and immigrated to Burnaby in 1910. He married Alice Wilcock who also immigrated to Canada from Lancaster. James and Alice (Willcock) Massey were married in New Westminster on September 11, 1912. The couple built a house on three adjoining lots on the south side of 13th Avenue in Burnaby near Cumberland Road. James and Alice had three daughters, Betty, Grace, and Evelyn. James worked in road construction for the Burnaby Municipality assisting to build Sperling Avenue (formerly named Pole Line Road) in 1912, he also worked in the brick yard in the glen behind the B.C. Peneteniary which was owned by the Cogband family. In 1933, James accepted the job of caretaker for Robert Burnaby Park and moved his family onto the property. He was paid 30 dollars a week and the house was rent free, leaving the family to rent out their house on 13th Avenue for extra revenue. The house that they moved into in Robert Burnaby Park was formerly owned by the Ramsey family, which was a pre fabricated design with no bathroom and a wood stove in the kitchen for heating. The park is situated south of Burnaby Lake on District Lots 87, 89 and 90. The land was originally owned by the Ramsey family who purchased the property in 1905 and then sold it to Mr. Vidal in 1909. Annie Ramsey bought it back in 1917 but lost it to the city through tax sale proceedings where she entered into a lease agreement allowing her to live on the property until her death in 1926. As the caretaker of Robert Burnaby Park and Burnaby Lake, James also fulfilled the role as game warden. In his role as game warden, James would watch for any poachers, pull traps, take any fire arms from children and also act as a deputy for the Provincial Police, which later became the R.C.M.P. The Massey family's dog, Pete, a spaniel cross, assisted Jim in tracking down any traps. Mr. Massey had three avaries on the park property where he raised canaries and in 1939, he installed a goldfish pond. He was also responsible for constructing a playground and raising the flag up the flag poll on all public holidays. The family built a greenhouse behind their house to grow plants for the extensive park gardens. James' brother was the caretaker of Queens Park in New Westminster and assisted him in the planning and design of the gardens. During the 1930s many unemployed script worked for Mr. Massey in clearing land, building trails and a bridge within the park. A garage was built at the foot of 2nd Street with two additional rooms built by Mr. Massey with the intention of them being used for by the Parks Board, however it was never used for this purpose and the Air Raid Patrol building from the 2nd Street School grounds was moved to the park and used for storage.The Army for the Common Good gardens were located on the west side of Hill Avenue with a shed for tools. The Army of the Common Good grew food and distributed it within the community to those in need during the Depression. The Massey family moved from the park in 1947 and James decided to run for the Burnaby School in the early 1950s. James retired at 65 years of age but continued to work as a custodian at the Armstrong Avenue School until the age of 72. James Massey died in 1985 in Princeton, B.C. at the age of 95 years.
Creator
Massey family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 581
Less detail

John Archy "Archie" MacLeod fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumphoto18756
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1973
Collection/Fonds
John Archy "Archie" MacLeod fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
18 photographs : col. slides ; 35 mm
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs documenting a team of BC Hydro bus drivers who travelled from London, Ontario to pick up new deisel buses which they drove back to Vancouver to join the B.C. transit fleet.
Administrative History
John Archy MacLeod was born in Scotland in 1910 and married Isabella "Bella" McMorran in 1936. The couple lived in Coquitlam from 1953. Archie was employed as a bus driver for BC Hydro (formerly BC Electric) for 33 years. John was part of a team of BC Hydro bus drivers who travelled to London, Ont…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
John Archy "Archie" MacLeod fonds
Date
1973
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
18 photographs : col. slides ; 35 mm
Accession Code
BV011.60
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs documenting a team of BC Hydro bus drivers who travelled from London, Ontario to pick up new deisel buses which they drove back to Vancouver to join the B.C. transit fleet.
Administrative History
John Archy MacLeod was born in Scotland in 1910 and married Isabella "Bella" McMorran in 1936. The couple lived in Coquitlam from 1953. Archie was employed as a bus driver for BC Hydro (formerly BC Electric) for 33 years. John was part of a team of BC Hydro bus drivers who travelled to London, Ontario to pick up eight new diesel buses to bring back to Vancouver in 1973. Archie retired in 1975 and died in 1990.
Media Type
Photograph
Arrangement
Photographs were arranged and described as per their content and original order by the donor.
Photographer
MacLeod, John Archy "Archie"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

John Shaw fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat55327
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1917-1980
Collection/Fonds
John Shaw fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
10 cm textual records and approximately 80 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records create and collected by John Shaw regarding his military service, civil service, and his family.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1917-1980
Collection/Fonds
John Shaw fonds
Physical Description
10 cm textual records and approximately 80 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2005-15
2006-01
2007-18
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records create and collected by John Shaw regarding his military service, civil service, and his family.
History/Biography
John "Jack" Horace Shaw was born in New Westminster on November 27, 1917 to Cecil Alfred Shaw and Margaret Grace Shaw (nee Baker). In 1934, at the age of 16, Jack began what would turn out to be an almost 40-year career with the City of Burnaby. Initially employed as an office boy, by 1938, Jack was made a stenographer and Deputy Clerk. His civil service career was interrupted in 1941 when Jack volunteered to join the Royal Canadian Air Force and he served at the rank of Sergeant until he was hounourably released from duty at the end of the war in 1945. While serving in the RCAF, Jack married Lois Eulalia Gilbert and the couple would have three daughters, Judith Annette (Judy), Maureen Daphne (later Maureen Ayers) and Beverley (later Beverley Santo). After resuming his career with Burnaby in 1945, Jack was made Municipal Clerk in 1959, a position he would hold until he retired in 1973. Jack Shaw died on June 14, 1980.
Names
Shaw, John Horace "Jack"
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Creator
Shaw, John Horace "Jack"
Notes
BHS485
Less detail

Julie Lee and Cecil Lee family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat14764
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1920-2006, predominant 1920-1979
Collection/Fonds
Julie Lee and Cecil Lee family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
6 photographs : col. + 1 photograph : b&w + 1 photograph : sepia + 41 photographs (tiffs) + 4 photographs (jpgs) + 12 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family photographs of the Jung, Chan and Lee families as well as business records collected and created by Cecil Lee in the nineteen seventies, while he was employed as a Produce Buyer for Kelly Douglas Limited and Western Commodities Limited and responsible for the import of Chin…
Administrative History
Julie Cho Chan Lee is the daughter of Suey Ying Jung (Laura) (1912-2006) and Puy Yuen Chan (1903-1978). Suey Ying "Laura" and Puy Yuen Chan were married in New Westminster in November 1942 followed by a fourteen year residency in the “minority town site” of Fraser Mills where their daughters Julie…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Julie Lee and Cecil Lee family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
6 photographs : col. + 1 photograph : b&w + 1 photograph : sepia + 41 photographs (tiffs) + 4 photographs (jpgs) + 12 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family photographs of the Jung, Chan and Lee families as well as business records collected and created by Cecil Lee in the nineteen seventies, while he was employed as a Produce Buyer for Kelly Douglas Limited and Western Commodities Limited and responsible for the import of Chinese mandarin oranges. Fonds is arranged into the following series: 1) Lee family photographs series 3) Cecil Lee business records series
Administrative History
Julie Cho Chan Lee is the daughter of Suey Ying Jung (Laura) (1912-2006) and Puy Yuen Chan (1903-1978). Suey Ying "Laura" and Puy Yuen Chan were married in New Westminster in November 1942 followed by a fourteen year residency in the “minority town site” of Fraser Mills where their daughters Julie and June were born. Julie's mother Suey Ying "Laura" Jung was born in Burnaby in 1912 to Chung Chong Jung (1875-1956) and Gee Shee Jung (1979-1952). The family had six children (five of which lived to adulthood); Suey Fong "Maida" (1909-1997) (married Quinn Wong) ; Suey Kin "Annie" (1911-1962) (married George Jong); Suey Ying "Laura; Suey Cheung "Harry" (1916-1991) and "; Suey Yook "Gordon" (1919-1998). The family owned and operated a five acre market garden and piggery at 5460 Douglas Road near Still Creek (address was changed to 5286 Douglas Road in 1958). This was conveniently located directly across the street from Douglas Road Interurban Station. The children attended Edmonds Elementary School and while the girls only completed their elementary school years, the boys continued their education at the Vancouver Technical School. Chung Chong and Gee Shee Jung sold the farm on Douglas Road around 1949 and moved to East Vancouver. Julie's mother, Suey Ying "Laura" Jung continued to live and work on the Jung family farm until she was married in 1942 when she moved to live with her husband, Puy Yuen at Fraser Mills. Suey Ying "Laura"'s sister Maida and her husband Quinn Wong also lived at Fraser Mills with their nine children. Julie's father, Puy Yuen Chan joined his father, Chin Yip Hong in Canada at the tender age of 12, worked as a shingle packer and plywood plant handler at Fraser Mills for forty years and retired without ever learning to speak English. In 1972, Julie Cho Chan married Cecil Lee and lived in Surrey where their two boys, Rodney and Darin were born. Just prior to the start of school for Rodney, the family relocated to Coquitlam where Julie had lived since 1956. Julie worked as a teacher and later as a teacher-librarian in the Coquitlam School District. Cecil Chue Kan Lee was born in Queensborough to Sui Seo Ngen and Ding Quai Lee. Cecil is the youngest of eight children; Chue Ngan "Gladys"; Chue Fay "Walter"; Chue Quon "Charlie"; Chue Jan "Pearl"; Chue Moi "Rose"; Chue Duck "Dick" and Chue Kwong "Ken". Cecil’s father, Ding Quai Lee was a jack of all trades including a labour contractor as a well as a millwright for G.W. Beach’s three mills, Keystone, Sapperton and Harrison Mills.In 1931, with the arrival of the Depression, the family made the difficult decision to return to their homeland of Guangzhou province, eventually returning to Canada in 1939. With this decision, Ding Quai wrestled with the burden of the repayment of the loans for two way steamship fares to and from China. Upon their return to Canada, the family lived a short time on Union Street in Vancouver before relocating to Queensborough (New Westminster). Cecil and his siblings were schooled at Queen Elizabeth Elementary School followed by varying stints at FW Howay and Duke of Connaught High Schools. In 1951, Cecil Lee joined Kelly Douglas & Company Ltd., a subsidiary of the George Weston Empire, as a produce warehouseman, followed by several years as a foreman and then in the early seventies until his 1991 retirement after forty years of service, he served as one of the KD produce buyers. In this capacity, he worked closely with local farmers along Marine Drive and in the Fraser Valley. Kelly Douglas and Company Limited was founded in 1896 as a wholesale grocery business and became one of the largest food distributors in Canada. In 1946, its headquarters moved from Vancouver to Burnaby and a manufacturing plant and warehouse were built on the site at 4700 Kingsway. In the mid-1970s, Lee along with the associates at Western Commodities, the head office for produce imports, was asked to oversee the import of Chinese mandarin oranges into western Canada. Until that time, mandarin oranges had come only from Japan and were sold in the winter, especially at Christmas. When the Japanese market could no longer keep up with the popular demand, Kelly Douglas and Company Limited looked to China. The company relied on Lee’s cultural knowledge to build this very profitable part of their business. Moreover, Cecil Lee designed, though not patented, the cardboard Chinese mandarin orange box to replace wooden containers. The iconic design required no glue or staples, making it possible for farmers to assemble and pack the boxes as they picked the oranges. In 1986, the Kelly Douglas and Company building was demolished and the produce department of Kelly Douglas was relocated to 6451 Telford Burnaby and the head office to 808 Nelson Street, Vancouver.
Accession Code
BV017.24; BV019.6; BV019.33; BV020.38; BV021.19
Date
1920-2006, predominant 1920-1979
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Arrangement
Records within fonds are composed of business records and family photographs arranged by the Lee family.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
See also: Interview with Julie Lee by Denise Fong February 6, 2020. -- [1920-1992] (interview content), interviewed Feb. 6, 2020 BV020.6.2
See also artifact descriptions under accession BV019.6 including BV019.6.1 - for description of original box to ship and sell mandarin oranges; BV019.6.15 and BV019.6.16 for Chinese mandarin orange wrappers "Snow Mountain Mandarin Orange"
Many of the "Business records" are closed and subject to FIPPA, contact Burnaby Village Museum regarding access
Less detail

J.W. Phillips fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97221
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1910-1914
Collection/Fonds
J.W. Phillips fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken by photographer J. W. Phillips. The photographs depict members of the J.W. Phillips family, who lived in the Capitol Hill area, along with images of North Burnaby scenes and neighbourhoods.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1910-1914
Collection/Fonds
J.W. Phillips fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2008-18
Physical Description
Photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken by photographer J. W. Phillips. The photographs depict members of the J.W. Phillips family, who lived in the Capitol Hill area, along with images of North Burnaby scenes and neighbourhoods.
History/Biography
Emily Brew married William James Phillips in Douglas on the Isle of Man, in 1884. Their first child, James William Phillips “Jim” was born in Douglas on the Isle of Man, on November 18, 1886. His brother, John George "George" was born July 27, 1890 and their sister Emily Brew "Amy" was born ca. 1892. The family of five arrived in the Capitol Hill area of North Burnaby in 1910, and built their first home on Ellesmere Avenue. They were the second family to move to the area. Jim Phillips was a carpenter by trade, but was better known as an avid amateur photographer and painter, his photographs serving as an important record of early Burnaby. He and his brother both served in World War I, but only George returned. Their sister married John William "Jack" Holmes on November 25, 1914 and had two sons, Douglas and Fred in 1926. George also married and had a son, James Brew Phillips. Emily (Brew) Phillips died January 20, 1915 at the age of fifty-three. Her husband William James Phillips died December 2 of that same year at the age of fifty-five. James William "Jim" Phillips served as a Private in the Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment), and died overseas on August 15, 1917 at the age of thirty. His sister, Emily Brew "Amy" (Phillips) Holmes died July 22, 1976 at the age of eighty-four.
Creator
Phillips, James William "Jim"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 192
Less detail

Kantonen Family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto70549
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1930
Collection/Fonds
Kantonen Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one photograph
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1930
Collection/Fonds
Kantonen Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2012-06
Physical Description
1 photograph
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one photograph
Creator
Kantonen family
Notes
Photo catalogue 531
Less detail

Keith Jamieson fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat4554
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1989-1993
Collection/Fonds
Keith Jamieson fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 scrapbook albums : 245 photographs + other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of three scrapbooks providing a detailed account of the fundraising, restoration and installation of the Parker Carousel no. 119 which was rescued from the PNE and re-installed at the Burnaby Village Museum. Scrapbooks were created by Keith and Pat Jamieson and contain photographs, n…
Administrative History
Keith Jamieson was one of the founding members of the Lower Mainland Association of the Friends of the Vancouver Carousel. The Association was created in 1989 to raise funds to rescue the C.W. Parker Carousel no. 119 from Playland at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). As a collector and restore…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Keith Jamieson fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 scrapbook albums : 245 photographs + other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of three scrapbooks providing a detailed account of the fundraising, restoration and installation of the Parker Carousel no. 119 which was rescued from the PNE and re-installed at the Burnaby Village Museum. Scrapbooks were created by Keith and Pat Jamieson and contain photographs, newspaper clippings, publicity and correspondence documenting this historical event and are described at item level.
Administrative History
Keith Jamieson was one of the founding members of the Lower Mainland Association of the Friends of the Vancouver Carousel. The Association was created in 1989 to raise funds to rescue the C.W. Parker Carousel no. 119 from Playland at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). As a collector and restorer of vintage carousel horses, Keith and his wife Pat took a keen interest in saving this carousel. In May 1989, Burnaby Village Museum agreed to provide a home for the carousel and Friends of the Carousel set about raising the $350,000 to purchase the machine which opened at the Museum in 1993. Jamieson a carousel expert, worked on restoring the Expo ’86 carousel and agreed to oversee the restoration of the Parker Carousel when it was moved to Burnaby.
Accession Code
BV015.41
Date
1989-1993
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Arrangement
Scrapbooks were arranged by Keith and Pat Jamieson before donation.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Krewenchuck family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat88389
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1949-1993
Collection/Fonds
Krewenchuk family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Textual records + 6 photographs : b&w + 10 photographs : col. + 2 architectural plans
Scope and Content
Records consist of personal and business records and photographs for Mike and Mary Krewenchuk and their son Dennis Krewenchuk. Business records include photographs, guest books, property deeds and land appraisals while the Krewenchuk's owned and operated the Nelson Hotel. Personal records include,…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1949-1993
Collection/Fonds
Krewenchuk family fonds
Physical Description
Textual records + 6 photographs : b&w + 10 photographs : col. + 2 architectural plans
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Accession Number
2014-23
2015-05
Scope and Content
Records consist of personal and business records and photographs for Mike and Mary Krewenchuk and their son Dennis Krewenchuk. Business records include photographs, guest books, property deeds and land appraisals while the Krewenchuk's owned and operated the Nelson Hotel. Personal records include, photographs, a last will and testament for Mike Krewenchuk, property records, appraisals and plans for 7460 Salisbury Avenue and photographs and documents relating to their son, Dennis Krewenchuck's 1941 Packard convertible.
History/Biography
Michael (Mike) and Mary Krewenchuk lived in Burnaby and Vancouver raising their five children, three boys and two girls. The family moved to Burnaby from Grand Forks in 1943 and purchased property on Grovenor Street on Capital Hill. Mike and Mary owned and operated a variety of small businesses in Burnaby and Vancouver, including; The Central Meat Market located at Sperling and Hastings Street, The Capital Hill General Store at 5530 Hastings Street in Burnaby from 1949, The Penny Market at 1806 Victoria Drive in Vancouver which they sold in 1953, The Payless Market at 5098 Joyce Street in Vancouver from 1954 to 1955 and the Nelson Motel (also known as The Nelson Bungalow Court and Nelson Auto Court) from 1956 to 1967. The couple sold the Nelson Motel in 1967, retiring and purchasing property at 7460 Salisbury Avenue where they built a new house. Mike Krewenchuk died in 1981 at the age of 79 years.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
Krewenchuk family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS191, MSS192, photo catalogue 582
Less detail

144 records – page 4 of 8.