144 records – page 3 of 8.

Eagles family collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat97217
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1919 -1995
Collection/Fonds
Eagles family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
40 files of textual records and 1489 photographs
Scope and Content
Collection consists of records, correspondence, and photographs created by Drs. Blythe and Violet Eagles related to their home and garden in the Deer Lake area of Burnaby. Also included in the collection are records pertaining the Burnaby Historical Society, the book "The Fraser's History from Glac…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1919 -1995
Collection/Fonds
Eagles family collection
Physical Description
40 files of textual records and 1489 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Accession Number
2008-10
Scope and Content
Collection consists of records, correspondence, and photographs created by Drs. Blythe and Violet Eagles related to their home and garden in the Deer Lake area of Burnaby. Also included in the collection are records pertaining the Burnaby Historical Society, the book "The Fraser's History from Glaciers to Early Settlements" and the Eagles' visit to Robert Burnaby's grave.
History/Biography
Blythe Eagles's paternal grandparents Charles and Maude Eagles immigrated to New Westminster in 1887. Their son Jack married Amelia Jane Johnston, and Blythe Eagles was born in New Westminster in 1902. In 1918, Blythe enrolled at the University of British Columbia and took a Physiology class with eight other top students; his future wife, Violet Dunbar, was the lone woman in the class. Blythe graduated in 1922, winning the Governor General's Gold Medal as top student. He received his MA in 1924 and his PhD in 1926 from the University of Toronto. He then completed his post-doctoral study at the National Institute for Medical Research in London, England. In 1933, Dr. Eagles became head of the Department of Dairying (1936-1955), Chairman of the Division of Animal Science (1955-1967), and Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture (in 1949 until his retirement in 1967). In 1968 he received an Honourary Doctor of Science Award from UBC. Blythe was also one of the first appointments to the Burnaby Town Planning Commission. Violet Evelyn Dunbar was born September 29, 1899 in Ontario, the eldest child of John and Mary (Tompson) Dunbar. Violet obtained her BA in 1921 and MA in 1922 from the University of British Columbia. In 1922 she attended the Provincial Normal School and within six months had a teaching certificate and taught at Lord Hudson School in 1923. In September 1923, she was awarded a two-year scholarship to the University of Toronto, where she joined Blythe in the Bio-Chemistry Department. She received a second MA and a PhD in 1929. Her graduate studies entailed research in pure proteins and enzymes related to the commercial production of cheese. Through this work, she was recognized as one of the leading enzyme chemists in the country, being a senior lab instructor of biochemistry. Violet was one of the founders of the Burnaby Council of Women and active member of the International Council of Women. Blythe and Violet Eagles purchased property at Deer Lake in 1929 and began construction of their home shortly before their marriage on June 25, 1930. The Drs. Blythe and Violet Eagles Estate is a unique expression of the talents and tastes of both the Eagles and Frank Ebenezer Buck (1875-1970), who was head of the Horticultural Department and the Campus Landscape Architect at U.B.C. and established the plan for the Eagles garden while Blythe selected many of the plantings. The Eagles themselves designed the house as a romantic cottage inspired by the British Arts and Crafts style. Violet was an enthusiastic amateur gardener, maintaining and continually developing the garden. The Eagles were active volunteers in the local community as well as at UBC. When Simon Fraser University opened in Burnaby, they became well-known for entertaining dignitaries and special guests of the university in their lavish garden. After Violet's death in 1993, the estate was sold to the City of Burnaby. The funds were used to establish a Chair in Agriculture at the University of British Columbia in their memory.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
BHS245, BHS331, BHS404, MSS032, BHS314, BHS482, MSS055
Less detail

Ed Brown family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat97218
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-1920
Collection/Fonds
Ed Brown Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs that belonged to the Brown family. Photographs depict Ed Brown, his wife Jennie, and their children at their homes on Royal Oak Avenue and McKay Avenue; Brown's trucking company; and other Burnaby locations and events.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-1920
Collection/Fonds
Ed Brown Family fonds
Physical Description
Photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Accession Number
2008-03
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs that belonged to the Brown family. Photographs depict Ed Brown, his wife Jennie, and their children at their homes on Royal Oak Avenue and McKay Avenue; Brown's trucking company; and other Burnaby locations and events.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
BHS298
Less detail

Elaine A. Myers fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto88370
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1948-1961 (date of originals)
Collection/Fonds
Elaine A. Myers fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
4 photographs (jpegs) ; 96 dpi
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of four digital copies of photographs; two are Elaine Myers' class portraits while attending Kingsway West and two are of Elaine's father, William Myers next to the pulpit and the altar of St. Andrews Church.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1948-1961 (date of originals)
Collection/Fonds
Elaine A. Myers fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-26
Physical Description
4 photographs (jpegs) ; 96 dpi
Material Details
Jpegs are copies created by the donor of sepia originals
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of four digital copies of photographs; two are Elaine Myers' class portraits while attending Kingsway West and two are of Elaine's father, William Myers next to the pulpit and the altar of St. Andrews Church.
History/Biography
Elaine Anne Myers was born in Bolton, Lancashire England in 1939 and immigrated to British Columbia with her family in 1947. She was the eldest daughter of William Sefton and Edna (nee Howarth) Myers and sister to Hermione Christine, born in 1943. Her father, William Sefton Myers was born in Bolton, Lancashire England in 1905 and was one of six children. He married Edna Howarth July 29, 1933. Before immigrating to Canada, William worked as a purchasing agent at Walkers Tannery in Bolton and later became a cabinet maker in the 1930s building and designing most of the family’s furniture. In September 1947, he and his family immigrated to Canada along with his younger brother, Hermann and his wife and daughter. The family were granted landed immigrant status upon their arrival at Dorval airport in Montreal on September 25, 1947 and travelled to Vancouver by train, arriving in early October. They shared their first home on Imperial Street in Burnaby with William’s brother Hermann and family, but after several months were able to purchase their own new home on MacKay Avenue just below Victory in South Burnaby. William’s first job was working as a night janitor at the Woodwards Department store in Vancouver. He was later hired as a purchasing agent for the Seagrams Distillery in New Westminster, where he stayed until his retirement in 1970. Elaine’s mother, Edna (nee Howarth) Myers worked in the offices of Pacific Veneer Canadian Forest Products in New Westminster, retiring from there in 1967. The family moved again in the 1950s to a house on the corner of Sussex and Victory and Elaine and Christine attended a variety of Burnaby schools including; Kingsway West, Nelson Avenue and McPherson Park Junior High. The family were parishioners of All Saints Anglican Church in Burnaby where Elaine also attended Girl Guides. Elaine’s father fulfilled his dream of designing and building the family home when he purchased property on London Street in New Westminster. The family moved to New Westminster and lived in a small house on the property while William spent three years completing their new home. Elaine commuted to Burnaby by the Interurban train in order to complete her studies at McPherson Park Junior High before enrolling at Duke of Connaught and graduating from Lester Pearson in New Westminster in 1957. In 1961, William Myers built the sanctuary lectern, pulpit and altar for St. Andrew’s Church on Smith Avenue in Burnaby his brother Hermann’s parish. By the mid-1960s William and Edna Myers moved from their home in New Westminster to White Rock. Edna Myers died April 23, 1969. William built the ambry for the church of St. Mark as a memorial. William remarried Ruth, a widow, in 1971 and they resided in White Rock until Ruth’s death in 1983. William died in White Rock March 26, 1991. Elaine Myers married Gordon Wilfred Atkinson in 1961; they had four children and lived in the Dunbar area of Vancouver before they separated ways in 1988. Elaine completed her Bachelor of Arts degree as a mature student at University of British Columbia in 1984 followed by the completion of her Master’s degree at University of Toronto in April 1996, and PhD (Doctorate of Philosophy) in 2007. She has lived abroad in Jerusalem and the United Kingdom working on a variety of research projects. Elaine Anne Myers passed away February 19, 2015.
Creator
Myers, Elaine A.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 580
Less detail

Elizabeth Hart Bird collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto74173
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1914
Collection/Fonds
Elizabeth Hart Bird collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photographs : sepia
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken during Elizabeth Cross Hart Bird's time as a nanny for the Frederick Hart family.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1914
Collection/Fonds
Elizabeth Hart Bird collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2012-19
Physical Description
2 photographs : sepia
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken during Elizabeth Cross Hart Bird's time as a nanny for the Frederick Hart family.
History/Biography
Elizabeth "Bess" Cross Hart was born in Newfoundland in 1885. She came from Trinity Bay to visit her uncle Frederick "Fred" Hart just prior to the start of World War One and stayed on as a nanny to her cousins at the Hart House. While in Burnaby, she was the organist at the St. Albans Anglican Church. Sidney Arthur Bird was born on July 30, 1886 in Stamford Lincolnshire, England. After apprenticing as a carpenter and carriage maker in England, Sidney arrived in Canada in 1910 at the age of twenty-four and settled in Burnaby near Edmonds and Kingsway. He and Elizabeth Hart met at Saint Albans Church. Sidney served overseas during World War One with the first contingent Expeditionary Forces and returned in 1918. Elizabeth Cross Hart and Sidney Arthur Bird were married in Prince Rupert on June 28, 1920. Their daughter Mary Louise was born November 14, 1921. Their son Albert Walter was born March 1, 1923. They raised their family in Prince Rupert, British Columbia and ran Bird's Confectionery. Elizabeth Cross Hart Bird died in July of 1951. Sidney Arthur Bird died in September of 1975. Albert Walter Bird married and had a family; his daughter Patricia (Bird) Tuchscherer and her husband Ray currently live in Langley, British Columbia.
Creator
Bird, Elizabeth "Bess" Cross Hart
Notes
Photo catalogue 541
Less detail

Elmer Wilson Martin fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat10611
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1934-1973
Collection/Fonds
Elmer Wilson Martin fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
42 photographs + 9 architectural drawings + approx. 4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of E.W. Martin during his military service with the RCAF; development in Burnaby along Winch Street; Martin's Auto Villa on Hastings and Paneloc buildings together with E.W. Martin's military service records and other records relating to E.W. Martin's involvement with …
Administrative History
Elmer Wilson Martin (1909-1973) was a professional engineer who lived most of his life in Burnaby. He was born in Treesbank Manitoba to William Henry Martin and Bethia “Bertie” Snell. Elmer married Ellen "Reta" Renetta Boyd (1908-1984) in approx. 1930. The couple moved to Burnaby in 1931 and E…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Elmer Wilson Martin fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
42 photographs + 9 architectural drawings + approx. 4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of E.W. Martin during his military service with the RCAF; development in Burnaby along Winch Street; Martin's Auto Villa on Hastings and Paneloc buildings together with E.W. Martin's military service records and other records relating to E.W. Martin's involvement with Paneloc Marketing Ltd. and other businesses. Fonds is arranged in the following series 1) E.W. Martin photographs series 2) E.W. Martin military records and photographs series 3) E.W. Martin business records series
Administrative History
Elmer Wilson Martin (1909-1973) was a professional engineer who lived most of his life in Burnaby. He was born in Treesbank Manitoba to William Henry Martin and Bethia “Bertie” Snell. Elmer married Ellen "Reta" Renetta Boyd (1908-1984) in approx. 1930. The couple moved to Burnaby in 1931 and Elmer graduated from UBC. Following his graduation from UBC, he spent two years at the University of Saskatchewan doing research. From 1936-1937 he worked at the Port Alice mill of the B.C. Pulp and paper Co and later worked for the Boeing aircraft plant at Vancouver. He joined the RCAF in September 1939, serving as chief engineering officer at various Canadian and overseas stations during WWII, until being discharged as a pilot and wing commander in November 1945. He served as NHA assistant regional engineer for a year after his discharge before becoming the owner and operator of Martin Auto Villa at 6574 East Hastings Street in North Burnaby. He was a director of the Burnaby Board of Trade from 1951 and chairman of the Burnaby Industrial Development Board and a member of the Professional Engineers' Association. He ran for Reeve under the Non-Partisan Association in Burnaby's municipal election in 1959 and donated land on Burnaby Mountain for Simon Fraser University. He had many businesses throughout his life including Paneloc Marketing Ltd. and his last one was as Director with the construction company Webb & Knapp Canada Ltd. The couple lived at various locations in Burnaby including, 6574 East Hastings Street eventually settling at 7231 Sutliff Street in North Burnaby in 1957. Elmer's brother, Wilbert Maurice Martin (1907-1980) was also born in Treesbank, Manitoba. Wilbert "Bert" was married to Eva (nee Erhart) Martin (1911-1993). Wilbert and Eva Martin lived on Winch Street in Burnaby. They first lived at 6776 Winch Street before relocating their house to 6656 Winch Street, Burnaby. Wilbert worked in construction as a building contractor and Eva worked as a hostess in the hotel industry. Paneloc buildings were developed by Elmer W. Martin, president of Paneloc Manufacturing Ltd. beginning in 1957 and were based on a design by A.B. Wenaus and Sons Ltd. In 1964, Martin held patents for his design of paneloc buildings in thirty six countries. Since Martin trained as a mechanical engineer, he developed a plan for his home model over a six year period in series of experiments with materials, styles, methods and sizes. Paneloc homes were prefabricated, using specially built bevelled wall panels cut-pie segments to form both the roof and the floor. The wall panels were designed to squeeze together by two metal straps on a turn-buckle basis. The roof and floor were held in place with factory-installed tap block bolts and a long wooden spine which fit in a keyway between the sections. The prefabricated parts were insulated and built with door and window allowances at Harrigan Industries Ltd. in Vancouver where Martin was part owner. Epoxy resin allowed the panels to be assembled without nails using weather-proofed five ply plywood. Sizes of homes varied using four by eight foot wall panels and increasing the span of the floor and roof sections. Harrigan Industries Ltd. continued to sell the prefabricated paneloc buildings until it went into receivership in late 1974.
Accession Code
BV015.39
BV019.37
BV019.40
Date
1934-1973
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Architectural Drawing
Arrangement
The records are organized into three series based on the individual's business work as well as military and personal life. The photograhs series includes both professional and personal content.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Engineering Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat43
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-2014
Collection/Fonds
Engineering Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1m of textual records, approximately 2000 cartographic and architecural drawings
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created by the Engineering department including environmental service files, physical plant plans, and administrative records.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-2014
Collection/Fonds
Engineering Department fonds
Physical Description
1m of textual records, approximately 2000 cartographic and architecural drawings
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created by the Engineering department including environmental service files, physical plant plans, and administrative records.
History/Biography
In 2020, responsibility for environmental management transferred to Climate Action and Energy, with Engineering retaining responsibility for geotechnical investigations and graffiti management. In 2022, Engineering became responsible for a consolidated Transportation group that aligns transportation planning and implementation functions. Green Fleet and Equipment also moved from Climate Action and Energy to the Public Works division of the Engineering Department. In 2022, Facilities Management was transferred from Engineering to the newly-created Lands and Facilities Department. James Lota served as General Manager, Engineering from 2021-2022. Jozsef Dioszeghy has served in the role since April 2022.
Media Type
Textual Record
Cartographic Material
Architectural Drawing
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Ernest Winch fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat64651
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1898-1961
Collection/Fonds
Ernest Winch fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 hollinger box of textual records and 31 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs, political leaflets, postcards, publications, correspondence and a scrapbook documenting the political careers of Ernest and Harold Winch.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1898-1961
Collection/Fonds
Ernest Winch fonds
Physical Description
1 hollinger box of textual records and 31 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2010-06
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs, political leaflets, postcards, publications, correspondence and a scrapbook documenting the political careers of Ernest and Harold Winch.
History/Biography
Ernest Edward (Ernie) Winch was born at Harlow, Essex, England on March 22, 1879. Ernest was one of seven children; Walter, Albert, Alfred, Horace, Ernest, Emma and Caroline (Carrie). In 1898, when he was 19 years old, Ernest immigrated to Canada with his friend Jack Holttum to work on a farm in Saskatchewan. Ernest’s brother Alfred followed soon after and together the Winch brothers worked in British Columbia, then in Australia. Unfortunately the country was at the height of a heavy drought and so Ernest returned to Harlow and followed in his father's footsteps, apprenticing as a bricklayer. In 1905 Ernest Winch met and married Australian born Linda Marian Hendy. While in England they had Harold, born June 18, 1907 and Eileen, born in 1908. Ernest sailed back to Canada alone in 1910, his young family following him months later. He quickly became a member of the Bricklayers and Masons International Union No. 1, Vancouver Branch. Winch began studying socialism in 1910 and joined the Social-Democratic Party of Canada in 1911. The Burnaby local of the Social-Democratic Party nominated Ernest Winch as a candidate for School Trustee in 1914. He received seven votes. In 1915 he and his eldest son Harold left the rest of the family at their home in White Rock and went to Mission to establish a homestead. While living in the Dewdney area, he organized a small Social-Democratic group in Mission and became its Secretary however he did not stay long in Dewdney. In the summer of 1918, Ernest left the Social-Democratic Party to join the Socialist Party. Once back in Burnaby, now thirty-eight years old and looking for a way to support his family, Ernest answered a call for new workers from the Longshoreman’s Union. He joined the ILA Auxiliary and soon was elected its Secretary, and by 1917 was a part of the Vancouver Trades and Labour Council, serving as its President by 1918. In 1919 he joined the B.C. Loggers Union (later the Lumber-Workers Industrial Unit), serving as Secretary. Ernest endorsed both the Vancouver General Strike on 1918 and the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919 and was active in his support of the One Big Union (O.B.U). After two and a half years, Ernest left the ILA and rejoined the Longshoremen’s Union along with his former O.B.U. brother, William A. Pritchard. Soon after a strike broke out and it’s unsuccessful end caused Winch to go back to bricklaying. By this time, the Winches four youngest children were born; Charlie, Grace, Alan and Eric. Ernest re-founded the Socialist Party of Canada (British Columbia) in 1932 and, with it, joined the new Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. In the 1933 provincial election he, his son Harold Winch, and five others became the first CCF Members of Legislative Assembly. As a CCF MLA for Burnaby, Ernest became a resolute advocate for immediate reform, exposing abuses and inadequacies in BC's social welfare and correctional institutions (including Oakalla) and taking a special interest in the problems of the aged. One of his many notable contributions was the creation of the “New Vista Society” first developed to ease the problem of overcrowding in Mental Hospitals at the time. Ernest Winch held his seat in the legislature continuously until his death on January 11, 1957. One of his legacies left to the people of Burnaby are the New Vista Society senior citizens homes. He also founded the New Westminster branch of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (S.P.C.A.). Ernest and Linda’s eldest son Harold Edward, an electrician by trade, married Dorothy Ada Hutchinson on May 11, 1929. At twenty-six years old, he was elected CCF MLA for Vancouver East (in 1933) and became provincial party leader by 1938, serving as leader of the Opposition from 1941 to 1953. When the CCF was defeated in the controversial election of 1953, which saw W.A.C. Bennet come to power, Harold abandoned provincial politics for the House of Commons, where he represented Vancouver East until his retirement in 1972.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
Winch, Ernest "Ernie"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS129, photo catalogue 514
Less detail

E.W. Bateman family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat15157
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1857]-[195-]
Collection/Fonds
E.W. Bateman family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
63 photographs + 6 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the family of Edwin Wettenhall Bateman and residences including Elworth house, along with letters written by Colin Rhodes Fox during World War II. Fonds is arranged into the following series: 1) Bateman family photographs series 2) Bateman family World War II lette…
Administrative History
Edwin Wettenhall "E.W." Bateman was born in 1859 in Sandbach, Cheshire, to James and Caroline Mary Wettenhall Bateman (their home in Sandbach was called Elworth Cottage). When he was twenty-one, E.W. Bateman immigrated to Manitoba, Canada where he met Catherine “Cassie” Dale, daughter of George a…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
E.W. Bateman family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
63 photographs + 6 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the family of Edwin Wettenhall Bateman and residences including Elworth house, along with letters written by Colin Rhodes Fox during World War II. Fonds is arranged into the following series: 1) Bateman family photographs series 2) Bateman family World War II letters series
Administrative History
Edwin Wettenhall "E.W." Bateman was born in 1859 in Sandbach, Cheshire, to James and Caroline Mary Wettenhall Bateman (their home in Sandbach was called Elworth Cottage). When he was twenty-one, E.W. Bateman immigrated to Manitoba, Canada where he met Catherine “Cassie” Dale, daughter of George and Sarah Gillon Dale. They were married in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba on November 9, 1886. Edwin and Cassie had seven children, the eldest Edna Caroline Annie (Corner) (1889-1969); George Edwin (1890-? ); Mamie (McWilliams) (1892-1979); Marianne “May” Bateman (1894-1990); Warren Stafford (1896-1954); Jessie (Fox Kemp) (1899-1978) and John Carey (1901-1945). Catherine “Cassie” (Dale) Bateman died in Portage La Prairie in 1909. After Cassie's death, Edwin was transferred to Vancouver by the Canadian Pacific Railway where he married Cassie’s younger sister Mary Dale (1896-1935). Edwin moved his six of his seven children to Vancouver (not including George). Edwin and Mary (Dale) Bateman first lived at 7th and Balsam Street in Vancouver and in 1920, they decided to move to the quieter atmosphere of the Burnaby Lake- Deer Lake area. By this time Edwin Wettenhall Bateman was a retired CPR executive. He moved his wife and daughter Marianne “May” Bateman to Deer Lake and commissioned architect, Enoch Evans to build 'Elworth' house (named after Edwin’s family home in Sandbach, Chesire). The house was completed by contractor William Dodson in 1922 and located at the site of what would become Heritage Village and later, Burnaby Village Museum, 6501 Deer Lake Avenue. The Batemans lived at this location for thirteen years before moving back to Vancouver in May of 1935. Mary Dale Bateman died in July 1935 and sometime after, Edwin W. Bateman married Dora Coulton. Edwin W. Bateman died in 1957 at the age of 98. Edna Caroline Bateman married Raymond Westley Corner in 1920 and had a daughter named Catherine Mary (Levins). Edna and Raymond lived in Kelowna. George Bateman married Louise Agness Birss in January 1910 and continued to live in Manitoba. Mamie Dale Bateman married George Lloyd McWilliams in 1915. The couple had two children, Warren Finley McWilliams and Bruce McWilliams. Mamie and George McWilliams lived with their family on Douglas Road across the road from Elworth house in Burnaby. Warren McWilliams was on North Atlantic convoy duty during World War I from 1942 to 1944. Warren McWilliams died in 2004. Warren Stafford Bateman married Norah Withington in Burnaby in 1924; Winifred Dare Webster in Burnaby in 1932 and Dorothy Margaret Buchanan in New Westminster in 1949. Warren and Winnifred “Winnie” Webster celebrated their marriage at Elworth house in 1932. Warren served in World War I. Jessie Madeline Bateman married Ernest Denby Fox (1900-1945) in 1921. Jessie and Ernest Fox had three children, Colin Rhodes Fox (1921-2005); Mary “Betty” (Gludo) and Allan Fox. Jessie and Ernest Fox operated a small logging company near Powell River, B.C. Sometime after the death of her first husband, Ernest Denby Fox, Jessie married James Kemp. The youngest child of Edwin and Cassie, John “Carey” Bateman married Sophia Spak (1899-1977) in 1925. On September 10, 1939, the day that Canada declared war on Germany, Colin Rhodes Fox (eldest son of Jessie and Ernest Fox) enlisted in the army at the age of 18 years. Colin initially served in an anti-aircraft unit, but was soon transferred to the Field Artillery. During his service overseas, Colin wrote letters to family members including his aunt May Bateman who was living in Burnaby. Colin went through basic artillery training in Edmonton before heading overseas to the United Kingdom with his unit, the 13th Field Regiment , 44th Canadian Field Battery of the Royal Canadian Artillery and later the 78th Canadian Field Battery in Germany and Holland . Colin was wounded on June 8, 1944 (two days after D-Day) but returned to serve in Holland and Germany until the war ended. Colin suffered bullet and shrapnel wounds while laying communication cable from the Normandy beachhead. In 1946, Colin married Susan Streika (Striha) of Pitt Meadows and he began a thirty five year career in the B.C. Telephone Company on Vancouver Island. Colin and Susan had three children; Gary, Elaine and Irene. Colin Rhodes Fox died in 2005. The E.W. Bateman house, "Elworth" is a heritage building on the site of the Burnaby Village Museum. The site is an important cultural feature for the interpretation of Burnaby’s heritage to the public. The E.W. Bateman House was purchased by Burnaby in 1970 and became the focal point for the development of the Museum. Both the interior and exterior of the house have been restored and interpreted to the date of original construction, including recreated room interiors and period furnishings.
Accession Code
HV974.22
HV974.90
HV975.120
HV976.37
HV979.32
BV985.1003
BV986.21
BV992.29
BV994.22
BV004.28
BV004.84
BV020.27
Date
[1857]-[195-]
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Related Material
See also: Interview with Marianne May Bateman February 22, 1978 - Tracks 1-4. City of Burnaby Archives Item No. MSS137-014-1
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Field family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto65767
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1915] - [1969]
Collection/Fonds
Field family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
31 photographs : tiffs ; 600 ppi + 1 file of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the Field family and their relatives, including the Sandersons, as well as notes used by Thomas Sanderson in preparation of an address he gave in 1934 titled "The Early Development of Our Lumber Industry with Historical Sketches."
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1915] - [1969]
Collection/Fonds
Field family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2010-14
2012-24
Physical Description
31 photographs : tiffs ; 600 ppi + 1 file of textual records
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs of the Field family and their relatives, including the Sandersons, as well as notes used by Thomas Sanderson in preparation of an address he gave in 1934 titled "The Early Development of Our Lumber Industry with Historical Sketches."
History/Biography
William “Willie“ James Field was born to William and Rebecca (Chambers) December of 1881 in England. Laura Tonkin was born to John Charles and Amelia (Johns) February of 1887 in Wales. Her brother, Charles Henry “Harry” was born in 1888. In 1907, Laura Tonkin married Willie James Field. Their first child, Phyllis Laura, was born in 1910. In 1912, the young family of three immigrated to Canada, arriving firstly in Hamilton, Ontario where Willie James ran a welding business. Both Willie’s youngest brother Arthur Pearcy and Laura’s only brother Charles Henry “Harry” joined them soon after. The extended family of five then moved west to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. But Arthur Percy soon returned to Hamilton, married Sara Umbach and had their two children, Arthur and June. Laura and Willie returned to Wales with Phyllis to have their second child William John “John” in 1914. War broke out and they were stranded until 1919. Within that time, Harry also returned to England with his bride, Ethyl “Em.” In 1919, the Field and Tonkin families returned to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan before heading out west. Willie James Field or Harry Tonkin owned the Model T-Ford convertible that the extended family travelled west in, arriving in Central Park around 1921. Amelia and John Charles Tonkin purchased a home on Wilson Avenue where they lived out the rest of their lives. Amelia died on March 6, 1944 at the age of eighty-two. Harry and Em Tonkin bought property on Nelson Avenue and began their family with a son, Roy who unfortunately, did not survive infancy. He had a sister, Marjorie, born 1927. Willie James and Laura bought property on Patterson and had two more children, Dorothy born October 10, 1925, and Robert George born September 6, 1927. In 1929, June Field was brought out from Ontario as tuberculosis had claimed both her parents. The Mackenzie’s of Central Park adopted her and she became June Mackenzie at the age of three. Older brother Arthur stayed in a foster home in Ontario. When June lost both her adoptive parents, Arthur came to Burnaby and he and his sister became a members of the Patterson Avenue Field family. In 1937, Phyllis Field married Gordon John Sanderson the son of Ellen Jane Garvin and former Burnaby Reeve Thomas Sanderson. William James Field died March 17, 1965 at the age of 83, his wife Laura died in 1968 at the age of 81. William John “John” and Margaret (Begg) Field had their daughter Lorraine in 1941 and Joyce shortly after. Robert George married Edna Schilthelm of Mandy Avenue in Burnaby, and had William George “Bill”, Elizabeth “Betty” Gorrie, Joan Katherine Nash and Susan Carol Hanniford. All live locally, except Joan who lives in Royston.
Creator
Field family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 521, MSS168
Less detail

Finance Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord46
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-1950
Collection/Fonds
Finance Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
30cm of textual records
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-1950
Collection/Fonds
Finance Department fonds
Physical Description
30cm of textual records
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
History/Biography
In 2017, responsibility for Risk Management and Emergency Preparedness transferred from the Finance Department to the Public Safety and Community Services Department's Risk Management and Emergency Services division.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds.
Less detail

Fire Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat47
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-2019
Collection/Fonds
Fire Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records, graphic material, and cartographic material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the administrative records of the Burnaby Fire Department and records created and collected during the compilation of the publication "Follow that Fire".
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-2019
Collection/Fonds
Fire Department fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records, graphic material, and cartographic material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the administrative records of the Burnaby Fire Department and records created and collected during the compilation of the publication "Follow that Fire".
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Cartographic Material
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds.
Less detail

Florence Hart Godwin fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumphoto14283
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1893-1923 (date of original), copied 1976
Collection/Fonds
Florence Hart Godwin fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photograph albums : 60 b&w negatives
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographic reproductions of two photograph albums. One album was owned and created by Florence Hart Godwin and the other by Florence Hart Godwin's mother, Alice Hart (nee Chapman). The albums consist of photographs of the Hart family and members of the Chapman family while they …
Administrative History
Florence Elizabeth Hart Godwin was born in New Westminster in 1898 to parents, Frederick John Hart (1884- 1945) and Alice Hart (nee Chapman) (1885-1935). Alice and Frederick Hart were married in Yale in 1895 and had five children, Kingsley (1897-1916), Florence (1898-1999), Alice Fredricka “Freda” …
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Florence Hart Godwin fonds
Date
1893-1923 (date of original), copied 1976
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photograph albums : 60 b&w negatives
Accession Code
HV976.168
HV976.169
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographic reproductions of two photograph albums. One album was owned and created by Florence Hart Godwin and the other by Florence Hart Godwin's mother, Alice Hart (nee Chapman). The albums consist of photographs of the Hart family and members of the Chapman family while they had residences in New Westminster, Deer Lake and Kerrisdale along with time spent at Pitt Lake, Mayne Island, Stanley Park and Victoria. Albums are described at file level and album pages are described at item level.
Administrative History
Florence Elizabeth Hart Godwin was born in New Westminster in 1898 to parents, Frederick John Hart (1884- 1945) and Alice Hart (nee Chapman) (1885-1935). Alice and Frederick Hart were married in Yale in 1895 and had five children, Kingsley (1897-1916), Florence (1898-1999), Alice Fredricka “Freda” (1903-1905), Edwyna Jane (1907-1997) and Frederick John “Jack” (1908-2001). Alice Hart (nee Chapman) was the daughter of Edward Chapman and Jane Chapman (nee Isbell) born in Birmingham England and Frederick John Hart was born in Trinity, Newfoundland. Florence’s father Frederick J. Hart owned a successful real estate business in New Westminster from 1891. His real estate company managed many of the property sales in the lower mainland including Burnaby and he was involved with a number of economic development companies in the area. Frederick also served as alderman with the City of New Westminster. In June 1905, the family was heartbroken by the sudden death of Florence's younger sister Freda who died at age two of meningitis. In that same year, Frederick purchased 13 acres of land abutting the north east end of Deer Lake and built a small summer house "Avalon". Florence, her siblings and mother spent the summer months on the lake. Her father, Frederick worked in New Westminster during the week and joined them on the weekends. In 1910, Florence’s father built a larger permanent family residence at this location also named "Avalon". Mr. Frank W. Macey designed the house which is now the home of “Hart House” restaurant. While living in Burnaby, the family attended St. Alban’s Church and Florence was taught by Miss Harriet Woodward who had a small private school inside her home. Florence later attended Douglas Road school before being placed in Crofton House School in Vancouver. The Hart children found many playmates on the lake, including members of the Hill and Peers families. During World War One, in December of 1916, Florence's brother, Kingsley Hart was killed while serving overseas. This tragedy devastated Florence's parents and prompted them to sell "Avalon" in 1917 and move to Kerrisdale in Vancouver. In August 1922, Florence married Harold Ward Godwin at St. Mary's Church in Kerrisdale and they moved into their own home in Burnaby. That same year, Florence joined the auxiliary to the Victorian Order of Nurses. Florence made rounds as a nurse travelling from home to home on a bicycle. Florence and Harold had one child, Elizabeth Joy Hart (1929-1978) who later married Robert Carl Freyman (1925-2011) and worked as a nurse. In 1950, Florence was awarded a life membership to the V.O.N. along with her husband, making them the only husband and wife in Canada to be accorded this honour. By 1973, Florence had served more than 50 years as a member of the Board of the V.O.N. in Burnaby. In that same year, Florence was presented a life membership by the I.O.D.E. for her many contributions to the work of the organization.
Media Type
Photograph
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
60 b&w copy prints accompanying
Less detail

Fred K. Leggett family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat18773
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1900]-1993, predominant [1900-1947]
Collection/Fonds
Fred K. Leggett family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
16 photographs + 1 videocassette
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of photographs of the Leggett family, the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel, the Lone Star Circus, a film created by family members that documents the opening day of the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel at Burnaby Village Museum along with photographs of Parker Carousel "Carry…
Administrative History
Fred Kirk Leggett was the first owner of the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Fred and Norvie Leggett had six children including, Norvie, Fred D., Leon, Dedie and Ralph. The eldest daughter (name unknown) of F.K. and Norvie Leggett died in 1911. In 1913 the carousel was sold to Fred K. Leggett of Hou…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Fred K. Leggett family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
16 photographs + 1 videocassette
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of photographs of the Leggett family, the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel, the Lone Star Circus, a film created by family members that documents the opening day of the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel at Burnaby Village Museum along with photographs of Parker Carousel "Carry Us All" in Alum Rock San Jose.
Administrative History
Fred Kirk Leggett was the first owner of the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Fred and Norvie Leggett had six children including, Norvie, Fred D., Leon, Dedie and Ralph. The eldest daughter (name unknown) of F.K. and Norvie Leggett died in 1911. In 1913 the carousel was sold to Fred K. Leggett of Houston Texas for $5,886.00 and was originally equipped with a steam engine and ""wishbones/grass-hopper/jumping horse"" mechanisms. It toured Texas for two years with the Lone Star Circus until 1915 when the machine was shipped back to the factory. It is believed that the machine was rebuilt by the factory with fancier horses and heavier rounding boards referred to as the “Superior” style. Some of the horses were built around 1917 and some between 1920 and 1922. The factory records consulted do not tell for certain where the machine went between 1915 and 1936, possibly to San Jose, California from 1918 until 1922 and then to San Francisco California, or Tacoma, Washington. The carousel was installed at Happyland in the nineteen thirties and then moved to Playland and the PNE. In 1989 "The Lower Mainland Association of Friends of the Vancouver Carousel" came together save the carousel from destruction. With a lot of hard work, the help of the Government of British Columbia and the support of the Municipality of Burnaby, the carousel was purchased. Funds were also raised by The Friends of the Carousel to pay for the restoration, and Burnaby agreed to build a new pavilion for it as a Centennial project. The Centennial Parker Carousel (C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel) and the Don Wrigley Pavilion where the carousel is housed, opened at Burnaby Village Museum on March 25, 1993. The eldest daughter of F.K. Leggett, Norvie Leggett Frame and other members of the Leggett family were in attendance for the opening of the newly restored carousel at Burnaby Village Museum in 1993.
Accession Code
BV993.18
BV993.51
BV004.94
BV005.49
BV005.63
Date
[1900]-1993, predominant [1900-1947]
Media Type
Photograph
Moving Images
Arrangement
Fonds is arranged by subject from various donations that orignated from the Leggett family.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Contact Burnaby Village Museum to view video content
Less detail

Gail Yip fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto70540
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1949
Collection/Fonds
Gail Yip fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one photograph showing the Chinese Market Gardens on southeast Marine Drive.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1949
Collection/Fonds
Gail Yip fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2012-04
Physical Description
1 photograph
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one photograph showing the Chinese Market Gardens on southeast Marine Drive.
Creator
Yip, Gail
Notes
Photo catalogue 529
Less detail

George H.F. McLean fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivevideo72150
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1961 - 1970
Collection/Fonds
George H.F. McLean fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
6 optical discs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 23 short film segments on 6 DVDs. The films were originally filmed in colour using an 8mm film camera, they have no sound. The films provide insight into the McLean family in Burnaby, their daily activities, celebrations and travels during the 1960s.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1961 - 1970
Collection/Fonds
George H.F. McLean fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2014-03
Physical Description
6 optical discs
Media Type
Moving Images
Access Restriction
Open access
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 23 short film segments on 6 DVDs. The films were originally filmed in colour using an 8mm film camera, they have no sound. The films provide insight into the McLean family in Burnaby, their daily activities, celebrations and travels during the 1960s.
History/Biography
George Henry Foster McLean was born in Prince Albert Saskatchewan in 1925 and lived with his family at their home located at the corner of Nelson and Burrard Streets in Vancouver. In 1942, at the age of 16 years, George enlisted with the Royal Navy at the HMCS Discovery located off Stanley Park. By the end of the war he was awarded numerous medals and awards, including the Italian Star, North African Star and the France/Germany Star and Malta Star. After the war, George returned to Canada settling in Burnaby with his wife Edna. Together the couple raised 5 children while George maintained a life of public service becoming the Director of the Junior Chamber of Commerce in 1946, continuing his involvement until 1957.Following this, he was elected to Burnaby Municipal Council serving as an alderman for 18 years, 14 years as Burnaby Parks Commissioner and 8 years as Burnaby Planning Commissioner. He also served on several civic committees including the Lower Mainland Planning Board, the Greater Vancouver Regional District Planning Committee and the Greater Vancouver Regional District Water and Sewer Board. In his role as parks commissioner he fostered the expansion of the Burnaby Parks system as well as the Burnaby Parkland Acquisition Program. George also found time for coaching sports such as minor hockey and softball and was an active member in community organizations such as, the Royal Canadian Legion, the Rotary Club and the Burnaby Hospital Society. In 1987 George retired from Municipal politics and was honoured in 1989 by the Burnaby Municipal Council when he was bestowed the title of Freeman for the Municipality. George continued his commitment to public service and became an active participant in the Memory Project, sponsored by Veteran Affairs of Canada, to help bring history home to school children, sharing his wartime experiences with younger generations. He also participated in a project entitled 'From the Heart: The Freeman Legacy' which was a collaboration between the City of Burnaby and Simon Fraser University. A feature film was produced as one element of the larger multimedia project and was broadcast nationally in 2007. In 2010, the Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission extended permanent recognition to Freeman George H.F. McLean by re naming Inman Green Park, to George McLean Park in his honour. In his private life, George took pride in spending time with his family and was a successful businessman. George was also an active member of the royal Canadian Legion Branch 83, The Burnaby Kingsway Rotary Club and Burnaby Hospital Society and enjoyed working in his organic garden in his free time. George H.F. McLean died May 7, 2015.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo/MI catalogue 567
Creator
McLean, George H.F.
Less detail

Gerald F. Sanders and Alice Sparman Sanders fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat18831
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1918-2016
Collection/Fonds
Gerald F. Sanders and Alice Sparman Sanders fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
33 photographs + 7 architectural drawings +1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family photographs and personal papers pertaining to Gerald Frank Sanders and Alice Viola Sparman Sanders along with architectural plans pertaining to the family home located on Spruce Street in Burnaby. Fonds has been arranged into the following series: 1) Sanders-Sparman photog…
Administrative History
Gerald Frank Sanders (1916-2017) was born August 28, 1916 in Hackney, London. In 1918, Gerald immigrated to Canada with his mother Harriett Sanders (nee Chalkley) (1889-1962) while his father, Frank (1887-1967) was convalescing in hospital in England after succumbing to wounds while serving in acti…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Gerald F. Sanders and Alice Sparman Sanders fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
33 photographs + 7 architectural drawings +1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of family photographs and personal papers pertaining to Gerald Frank Sanders and Alice Viola Sparman Sanders along with architectural plans pertaining to the family home located on Spruce Street in Burnaby. Fonds has been arranged into the following series: 1) Sanders-Sparman photographs series 2) Sanders family personal papers 3) Sanders family architectural drawings
Administrative History
Gerald Frank Sanders (1916-2017) was born August 28, 1916 in Hackney, London. In 1918, Gerald immigrated to Canada with his mother Harriett Sanders (nee Chalkley) (1889-1962) while his father, Frank (1887-1967) was convalescing in hospital in England after succumbing to wounds while serving in action during WWI. Gerald's father, Frank soon joined them in British Columbia. In 1926 they settled in a house located at 4312 Spruce Street near the corner of Spruce Street and Carleton Avenue. By 1946 the family grew in size to four children (Gerald, Leslie, Reginald and Eileen) and they built a larger house right on the corner of Spruce and Carleton Avenue. Gerald attended Inman Elementary, then Van Technical School. He eventually joined the RAF during WWII as an airplane mechanic in England. He sent his pay home and his mother purchased two lots on Pine Street with some of the money. On March 8, 1948 Gerald married Alice Viola Sparman (1925-1996) and the couple lived in the Sanders' family home on Spruce Street. Alice grew up near Cranbrook and spent her teenage years in Victoria. She trained to be a nurse at St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver before marrying Gerald. Alice worked at the Burnaby General Hospital from 1952. Gerald and Alice had six children: Dennis, Kris, Kerry, David, Ruth and Marie. In 1949 with the help of family and friends Gerald built a new house located at 4325 Pine Street (address after 1959- 4091 Pine Street) and he moved in with his family. Gerald worked as a carpenter on various projects including the dentistry building at University of British Columbia, the Vancouver Court House and Jack Poole's house in the British Properties. Gerald lived in Burnaby until his death in 2017. Frank and Harriett Sanders lived on Spruce Street until Harriett died in 1962. Frank continued to live on Spruce Street until 1964 and then lived with his son Gerald on Pine Street until his death in 1967.
Accession Code
BV018.34
Date
1918-2016
Media Type
Photograph
Architectural Drawing
Textual Record
Arrangement
Records and series were arranged by specific record types.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Gillis family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto66689
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1914-1940 (date of originals), copied 2011
Collection/Fonds
Gillis family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
4 photographs (jpeg)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of scanned photographs of the members of the Gillis family.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1914-1940 (date of originals), copied 2011
Collection/Fonds
Gillis family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-10
Physical Description
4 photographs (jpeg)
Material Details
Records exist only in electronic format
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of scanned photographs of the members of the Gillis family.
History/Biography
Duncan Gillis was born March 25, 1892 in Vancouver, BC to James Gillis and Isabelle (Adams) Gillis. He had four older siblings; Isabel, Allan, James and Marion. Duncan died April 2, 1985 in Kamloops, BC. James and Isabelle were from New Brunswick and lived in Minnesota for a time where the three oldest children were born and then came to British Columbia and pioneered in Yennadon (Maple Ridge) in 1890. Florence Ethel Denton was born December 9, 1894 in Vancouver, BC to Edwin Denton and Elizabeth Anne (Zinn) Denton. She had three siblings; John, Edwin and Beatrice. Florence died Feb 28, 1962 in Kamloops, BC. Edwin Denton was born in England and met Elizabeth in Ohio were she was born. They were married in 1890 in Vancouver. Florence’s older brother, John Montague Denton was born August 7, 1892. He enlisted October 6, 1915 as part of the Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment) 72nd Batalion and was killed in France November 1, 1916 at the age of twenty-four. He is buried in St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen, France. Duncan married Florence Ethel Denton on June 27, 1914 in Eburne, BC. Florence was the first school teacher at the newly built school in Yennadon (Maple Ridge) that was built by Duncan’s father James in 1913. This is how they met. Duncan was working as a carpenter and saw filer before enlisting January 8, 1916 at the age of twenty-three. He served overseas and was captured as Prisoner of War (POW) for a time. When Duncan returned to Canada, he and Florence had three sons; Boyd Leslie “Bud” born January 7, 1920, Norman Montague born August 20, 1921, and their youngest, Donald Allan Gillis born February 23, 1923. They raised their family in Burnaby, BC and lived there until 1960 then moving to Kamloops, BC. Boyd Leslie “Bud” served overseas as a Flying Officer (Wireless Gunner) during World War II for the 428 (RCAF) Squadron. He was on his fifteenth operation and took part in the raid on Aachem on the night of July 13 (14), 1943 and the plane was shot down over Holland. It was later determined that he had been captured as a Prisoner of War (POW) at Stalag 6 and wasn’t released until May 14, 1945, returning home in August of 1945. He married Mary Irene Thoen and had five children; James, Steven, Donna, Gregory and Pamela. Boyd was also a carpenter and saw filer and had a saw shop in Kamloops where he raised his family. He also enjoyed woodworking in his spare time and built three airplanes. Boyd died in 1979 in Edmonton, Alberta. Norman Montague Gillis served overseas as a Flight Engineer Sergeant during World War II for the 138 RCAF Squadron. His plane crashed in the woods while attempting to land at RAF Woodridge, England returning from an operational flight. He was pronounced dead on admission to hospital, December 17, 1943 at the age of twenty-two. He is buried in Rushden Cemetery, Northamptonshire, England. Donald Allan Gillis served in the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve during World War II. He enlisted May 9, 1942 and was a Signalman on a Corvette in the Atlantic. In 1944 after hearing of the loss of his two older brothers the RCNR moved him to the Pacific and was there until Nov 9, 1945. He married May Yule Ferrier and had two children; Robert and Barbara. Donald graduated UBC in 1951 with a Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering. He worked for the City of Burnaby for five years and for the Greater Vancouver Regional District for thirty-two years, while living in Burnaby, BC raising his family. He retired to the Sunshine Coast, Halfmoon Bay, BC in 1988 where they still live today.
Creator
Gillis family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 524
Less detail

Gilmore Community Association fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord97461
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1989
Collection/Fonds
Gilmore Community Association fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 file of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence and meeting minutes pertaining to the Gilmore Community Association.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1989
Collection/Fonds
Gilmore Community Association fonds
Physical Description
1 file of textual records
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-04
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence and meeting minutes pertaining to the Gilmore Community Association.
Media Type
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of file
Less detail

Gordon McDonald collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto74188
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
July 1941
Collection/Fonds
Gordon McDonald collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
4 photographs : b&w ; 8 x 11.5 cm
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of four photographs of the 1941 train wreck that took place in the North Road cut due to a head-on collision between Canadian National Railway (CNR) and Great Northern Railway (GNR) trains.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
July 1941
Collection/Fonds
Gordon McDonald collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2012-23
Physical Description
4 photographs : b&w ; 8 x 11.5 cm
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of four photographs of the 1941 train wreck that took place in the North Road cut due to a head-on collision between Canadian National Railway (CNR) and Great Northern Railway (GNR) trains.
History/Biography
Gordon McDonald worked for the City of New Westminster. He was a steam and railway enthusiast.
Creator
McDonald, Gordon
Notes
Title based on contents of photographs
Photo catalogue 542
Less detail

Gordon Presbyterian Church fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97220
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-1950 (date of originals); 2012
Collection/Fonds
Gordon Presbyterian Church fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
9 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs created by members of the Gordon Presbyterian Church that depict the Church and district as well as events and activities undertaken by or for church groups. Included in the fonds are photographs taken at the Church's one hundredth anniversary event.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-1950 (date of originals); 2012
Collection/Fonds
Gordon Presbyterian Church fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-12
Physical Description
9 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs created by members of the Gordon Presbyterian Church that depict the Church and district as well as events and activities undertaken by or for church groups. Included in the fonds are photographs taken at the Church's one hundredth anniversary event.
History/Biography
In November 1911, a small group of people met at Morton Hall on Edmonds Street, Burnaby to organize a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. David J. Gordon, a student from Westminster Hall Theological College, was in charge. By 1912, a building was erected on two lots and named the “Gordon Presbyterian Church.” A new sanctuary was built in 1956 and due to the increase in the congregation, a Christan Education Centre was added in 1974. The longest minister to serve the congregation was Reverend George Philps and his wife Margaret. After twenty-one years, he retired in 1987. In April of 1988, Reverend Charles Scott began serving. Six months later, a fire broke out in the centre portion of the complex. For many months, while reconstruction continued, worship services were held at the Edmonds Community Centre for the Retired. In 2001, Reverend Cal MacLeod and his wife Robin joined the congregation. Mrs. Marie Douglas, wife of retired minister Reverend R. J. Douglas and mother of missionary to India, Ellen Douglas, started the first Women’s Missionary Auxiliary in 1932. The Ladies Aid Societies were an active force in the Gordon Presbyterian Church. In 1957, the original Ladies Aid became known as the Margaret Hall Circle, named after Margaret Philps’ mother, who had been an active member. For many years, the COC, Explorers and CGIT were very active and Sunday School classes have been in operation since the beginning.
Creator
Gordon Presbyterian Church
Notes
Title based on content of fonds
PC 555
Less detail

144 records – page 3 of 8.