144 records – page 2 of 8.

Burnaby Village Museum Film and Video collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumvideo18761
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1950-1992
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Film and Video collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 film reels + 20 videcassettes + 1 avi video file + 17 video recordings (mp4)
Scope and Content
Collection consists of videos and films collected by Burnaby Village Museum from various sources. Items in this collection pertain to specific film projects about Burnaby or document people and historic events related to the history of Burnaby. Collection is arranged into the following series: 1) …
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Film and Video collection
Date
1950-1992
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 film reels + 20 videcassettes + 1 avi video file + 17 video recordings (mp4)
Accession Code
HV971.30
BV005.8
BV005.48
BV012.37
BV014.39
BV016.37
BV017.11
BV020.5
Media Type
Moving Images
Scope and Content
Collection consists of videos and films collected by Burnaby Village Museum from various sources. Items in this collection pertain to specific film projects about Burnaby or document people and historic events related to the history of Burnaby. Collection is arranged into the following series: 1) Burnaby historical reference collection series 2) Elders Digital Storytelling project series
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Some items in this collection have copyright restrictions and are not available for viewing on Heritage Burnaby. Contact Burnaby Village Museum to view content.
Further accruals expected
Less detail

Burnaby Village Museum fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat13037
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1990-2019
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Over 3000 photographs + approx. 100 architectural drawings + technical drawings + 25 videocassettes + 43 video recordings (mp4) + 2 video recordings (m4v) + 56 sound recordings (mp3) + 5 audio cassettes + approx. 2 m. of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a selection of curatorial records created and collected by the Burnaby Village Museum in the course of their work. Records pertain to the village site, exhibits, programs, curatorial projects, outreach and special events. Fonds is arranged in the following series: 1) Museum photo…
Administrative History
Burnaby Village Museum is an open air museum that represents a typical tram-stop community. Museum interpreters welcome visitors, provide demonstrations and on site programming. The museum’s collection consists of thousands of artifacts, community records as well as several original Burnaby heritag…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Over 3000 photographs + approx. 100 architectural drawings + technical drawings + 25 videocassettes + 43 video recordings (mp4) + 2 video recordings (m4v) + 56 sound recordings (mp3) + 5 audio cassettes + approx. 2 m. of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a selection of curatorial records created and collected by the Burnaby Village Museum in the course of their work. Records pertain to the village site, exhibits, programs, curatorial projects, outreach and special events. Fonds is arranged in the following series: 1) Museum photographs series 2) Museum film collection series 3) Museum architectural records series 4) Museum Marketing photographs series 5) Museum exhibits series 6) Museum reports series 7) Curatorial Collections adminstrative records series 8) Museum Oral Histories series 9) Jesse Love farmhouse series 10) Bell's Dry Goods series 11) Burnaby Neighbourhood Speaker Series series 12) C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel series 13) Royal Bank exhibit series 14) UBC Partnership series 15) Burnaby Community Heritage Commission 125 Video Collection series
Administrative History
Burnaby Village Museum is an open air museum that represents a typical tram-stop community. Museum interpreters welcome visitors, provide demonstrations and on site programming. The museum’s collection consists of thousands of artifacts, community records as well as several original Burnaby heritage buildings, a 1912 carousel, 1912 B.C. Electric Railway interurban tram, a Chinese Market Garden and Indigenous Learning House and Matriarch's Garden. In 1990, the Corporation of the District of Burnaby assumed the operation and management of Burnaby Village Museum from the Burnaby Village Museum Association. Burnaby Village Museum (formerly named Heritage Village) was originally created by the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee in 1971 as a commemorative project for British Columbia's Centennial. A concept for an open-air museum was developed near Deer Lake on Districts Lots 79/ 85. The official sod turning for Heritage Village took place on the site on April 11, 1971. In the spring of 1971, a museum director and curator were hired to oversee the development of the project and the acquisition of artifacts with funding from the Parks and Recreation Commission. The Century Park Museum Association (later named Burnaby Village Museum Association) was formed on October 26, 1971 as a governing body for Heritage Village Museum. The museum opened on November 19, 1971 with Mayor Bob Pritte and Canada's Governor General Roland Michener. IN July 1972, the museum opened for it's first public season. The Village was described as depictive of the 1890 to 1920 era of the lower mainland. Since 1990, the site expanded from it’s original four acre size to it's current ten acres. In the 1990s and early 2000s staff and volunteers created exhibits and programs about Burnaby with an emphasis on the 1920s. Since it's 40th anniversary in 2011, the museum has implemented changes to make the museum more interactive and inclusive in telling the story of Burnaby's history.
Accession Code
X2294
X5124
X5125
BV013.19
BV017.39
BV017.45
BV018.6
BV018.12
BV018.14
BV018.18
BV018.41
BV019.2
BV019.13
BV019.15
BV019.18
BV019.19
BV019.36
Bv019.39
BV019.52
BV019.61
BV020.4
BV020.5
BV020.12
BV020.28
BV020.29
BV021.5
BV021.7
BV021.14
BV021.17
BV021.31
BV022.1
BV022.2
BV022.27
Date
1990-2019
Media Type
Architectural Drawing
Moving Images
Photograph
Sound Recording
Technical Drawing
Textual Record
Arrangement
The following series have been arranged into subseries: Exhibits series; Oral History series; Jesse Love farmhouse series; Bell's Dry Goods exhibits series; Burnaby Neighbourhood Speaker Series series; C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel series; Royal Bank exhibits series; UBC Partnership series
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Further accruals expected
For other records pertaining to the history of Burnaby Village Museum see: Don Copan collection; Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee collection; Century Park Museum Association fonds; Don Wrigley fonds
See Artifacts descriptions for Publications and Newsletters produced by Burnaby Village Museum and Century Park Museum Association
Less detail

Burnaby Village Museum Oral History collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumsoundrecording18758
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1992-2002
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Oral History collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 audiocassettes
Scope and Content
Collection consists of oral history interviews of Burnaby residents. The collection is composed of discrete items or small sets that do not form a fonds or collection.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Oral History collection
Date
1992-2002
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 audiocassettes
Accession Code
BV005.37
BV018.17
Scope and Content
Collection consists of oral history interviews of Burnaby residents. The collection is composed of discrete items or small sets that do not form a fonds or collection.
Media Type
Sound Recording
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
Further accruals are expected
Less detail

Buxton family collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto64596
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1905-1915]
Collection/Fonds
Buxton Family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
16 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and sepia
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs of George Buxton and the construction of the Buxton family home in Burnaby. In addition, photographs of Leopold Buxton and other members of the Buxton family are also included in this collection.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1905-1915]
Collection/Fonds
Buxton Family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Record No.
41960
Accession Number
2010-05
Physical Description
16 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and sepia
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs of George Buxton and the construction of the Buxton family home in Burnaby. In addition, photographs of Leopold Buxton and other members of the Buxton family are also included in this collection.
History/Biography
George Searby Buxton (1867-1955) was born in England and was a carpenter by trade. He married Mary Isabel Nattriss (1866-1941) - a teacher - and moved to Canada in 1911. In 1912, George built an arts and crafts style home in Burnaby which remains as one of the City's heritage buildings to this day. George and Mary had five children - Clara Violet (1910-1913), Mary (1900-?), Alice Clarissa (Clissie) (1902-?), Bernard (1897-1972) and Leopold (1893-1951).
Creator
Buxton, Leopold George
Buxton, George Searby
Notes
Photo catalogue 513
Less detail

Century Park Museum Association fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat3781
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1971-1989
Collection/Fonds
Century Park Museum Association fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1814 photographs + 219 architectural drawings + 17 technical drawings + 4 videocassettes + 3 audio reels + 17 audio cassettes + 1.6 m of textual records + 2 maps
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and collected by the Century Park Museum Association (renamed Burnaby Village Museum Association after 1984), which managed Heritage Village (later named Burnaby Village Museum) from its opening in 1971 until it's dissolution in December 1989. Records include archi…
Administrative History
The Heritage Village Museum was originally created as a British Columbia Centennial Project in 1971 through funding from the Federal, Provincial and Municipal governments. A sub-committee of the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee was responsible for the creation of a permanent commemorative project. …
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Century Park Museum Association fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1814 photographs + 219 architectural drawings + 17 technical drawings + 4 videocassettes + 3 audio reels + 17 audio cassettes + 1.6 m of textual records + 2 maps
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and collected by the Century Park Museum Association (renamed Burnaby Village Museum Association after 1984), which managed Heritage Village (later named Burnaby Village Museum) from its opening in 1971 until it's dissolution in December 1989. Records include architectural drawings and proposals; photographs and films of the site; documentation of exhibits and artifacts, special events and programs; oral history interviews and other sound recordings; association meeting minutes; constitutions and bylaws; financial records; reports; correspondence; publications and research materials. Fonds has been arranged into the following series: 1) Century Park Museum Association photograph collection series 2) Century Park Museum Association film collection series 3) Century Park Museum Association architectural records and reports series 4) Heritage Village Museum oral history Interviews series 5) Heritage Village Museum presentations and Programming series 6) Century Park Museum Association reports series 7) Century Park Museum Association constitution, bylaws and agreements series 8) Century Park Museum Association minutes of meetings series 9) Century Park Museum association Board of Directors' administrative files series 10) Century Park Museum membership series 11) Heritage Village Museum exhibits and artifacts series 12) Century Park Museum Association committees' minutes and reports series 13) Museum staff adminstrative files series 14) Century Park Museum Association financial records series
Administrative History
The Heritage Village Museum was originally created as a British Columbia Centennial Project in 1971 through funding from the Federal, Provincial and Municipal governments. A sub-committee of the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee was responsible for the creation of a permanent commemorative project. The concept for an open-air museum was developed with the location to be in Burnaby on lots 8,9, 10 and 11 of District Lot 79 and Lots 2 and 5, Block "R" of Districts Lots 79 and 85. The official sod turning for Heritage Village took place on April 11, 1971. In the spring of 1971, a museum director and curator were hired to oversee the development of the project and the acquisition of artifacts with funding from the Parks and Recreation Commission. The Century Park Museum Association (CPMA) was founded under the auspices of the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee to govern Burnaby's Centennial '71 Commemorative Project, Heritage Village. The CPMA Board of directors were elected on October 26, 1971 with Donald (Don) Copan as the founding president (Don continued to serve on the Board until 1989). The Board of Directors reported directly to the Municipal Council. The association had an overall objective of providing a museum that was a historical resource for Burnaby and the region. The museum mandate was to collect, preserve, research, document and interpret artifacts and historical buildings that illustrated the history and lifestyle of the Lower Mainland in B.C. and Burnaby. The Museum focused on the period between 1890 and 1925 depicting a village lifestyle of a small community. This was achieved through the use of exhibits/displays within historic buildings and reconstructions along with costumed museum interpreters. The official opening of Heritage Village took place on November 19, 1971 with Burnaby Mayor Bob Prittie and Canada’s Governor General Roland Michener. Heritage Village was opened up to the public for a few days between November 19 and 21 with approximately 15,000 visitors. On July 1st, 1972 Heritage Village re-opened for the summer season with CPMA president, Don Copan and Mayor Bob Prittie officiating. This opening showcased further development of the site with more buildings and exhibits added. In 1984, Heritage Village Museum changed its name to “Burnaby Village Museum” and in turn, the Century Park Museum Association changed its name to the “Burnaby Village Museum Association”. Burnaby Village Museum continued to be governed by the Burnaby Village Museum Association until the end of 1989. In 1990, the Corporation of the District of Burnaby assumed the operation and management of Burnaby Village Museum under the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department and the Burnaby Village Museum Association was dissolved.
Accession Code
BV985.6028
BV005.14
BV000.18
BV011.44
BV011.50
BV014.30
BV016.56
BV017.46
BV018.21
BV019.52
BV020.4
BV020.5
BV021.5
BV022.9
Date
1971-1989
Media Type
Photograph
Sound Recording
Textual Record
Architectural Drawing
Moving Images
Cartographic Material
Technical Drawing
Related Material
Donald Copan fonds
Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee collection
Royal Bank exhibit collection
Bell's Dry Goods exhibit collection
Jesse Love farmhouse fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Arrangement
Records are arranged by types and functions of the Century Park Museum Association. The series reflects how they were maintained by the associaton, it's members and staff of Heritage Village (Burnaby Village Museum) while under the governance of the association.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Further accruals are expected
Some records within this fonds are Closed - contact Burnaby Village Museum for access
Less detail

Charles MacSorley fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto55606
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1946-1960
Collection/Fonds
Charles MacSorley fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
49 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs depicting Municipal events and publicity throughout the 1950s, during the tenure of Charles MacSorley as Council member (1946-1953; 1959-1964) and Reeve (1954-1957).
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1946-1960
Collection/Fonds
Charles MacSorley fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Record No.
39423
Accession Number
2005-14
Physical Description
49 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs depicting Municipal events and publicity throughout the 1950s, during the tenure of Charles MacSorley as Council member (1946-1953; 1959-1964) and Reeve (1954-1957).
History/Biography
Charles Willoughby MacSorley was born on October 2, 1895 – one of seven boys and three girls born to the MacSorley family of Picton, Ontario. When Charles was five the family moved first to Manitoba and then, three years later, they homesteaded at Asquith, Saskatchewan where they settled for the remainder of Charles’ childhood. In 1916, Charles enlisted with the 65th Regiment from Saskatoon and served overseas throughout the course of the war in France and England. Upon returning home to Saskatchewan after the cessation of hostilities in Europe, Charles ran for and was elected to the local School Board – the first of what would become an impressive list of public offices he would hold throughout the next 50 years. In 1924, Charles married Grace Dobbs and they decided to move west, ending up in Burnaby, British Columbia. Employment opportunities were scarce during the 1920s and 1930s, but Charles worked a steady stream of jobs until he secured a position digging ditches for the Corporation of Burnaby. From 1929 until 1932, Charles worked for the Municipality and helped implement changes to improve working conditions for the labourers in the city – being an active member and later President of the Civic Employees’ Union and fighting to obtain a wage increase for the employees. When the Corporation of Burnaby fell into receivership in 1932, however, Charles was forced to find another job. He was soon hired by the Shell Oil Company and over the next decade, worked his way up from a labourer to engineer. Charles’ desire to serve the public good led him to run for office in 1945 and he was elected to serve as Councillor from 1946 until 1954, at which time he ran successfully for the position of Reeve of the Corporation. He served as Reeve until 1957. Charles then returned to hold a seat on Council once again from 1959 until the end of 1964. Concurrent with his terms in local government, Charles was also elected Chairman of the Greater Vancouver Water District (1956), Chairman of the Greater Vancouver Sewerage District (1957), President of the Union of BC Municipalities (1959) and a member of the Provincial Legislature (1963-1966), the first Social Credit Member of the Legislative Assembly elected from Burnaby. Charles MacSorley died on February 24, 1976.
Creator
MacSorley, Charles W.
Names
MacSorley, Charles W.
Notes
BHS486
Less detail

Church of the Nazarene fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto88387
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1955-1959
Collection/Fonds
Church of Nazarene fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
10 photographs: b&w
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a small collection of photographs documenting the Ferris family's time while Reverend Garfield James Ferris was a minister at the Church of the Nazarene, Burquitlam from 1955 to 1959.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1955-1959
Collection/Fonds
Church of Nazarene fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2014-41
Physical Description
10 photographs: b&w
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a small collection of photographs documenting the Ferris family's time while Reverend Garfield James Ferris was a minister at the Church of the Nazarene, Burquitlam from 1955 to 1959.
History/Biography
Reverend Garfield James Ferris and his family moved to Burquitlam from Red Deer Alberta in July 1955 to obtain a posting at the Church of Nazarene. Reverend Ferris and his wife Tabea (both aged 34 years) moved together with their three children, Lorne Garfield (age 13), Sharron Rose (age 10) and Faye Muriel (age 6). This was Reverend Ferris' first full time church posting after having completed his Ministerial training at Canadian Nazarene College in Red Deer, Alberta. The family moved themselves into the parsonage which was located right next to the Church of Nazarene at 577 Clarke Road, Burquitlam. The parsonage was a two bedroom bungalow, so the three children shared a room with a bunk bed, single bed and a peg board as a room divider. Tabea Ferris worked for their aunt Marion Johnston who ran the Buena Vista Senior's home in New Westminster and then the Salvation Army Sunset Lodge in New Westminter to augment her husband's salary of $30.00 per week from the church. Reverend Garfield James Ferris was part of the New Westminster Ministerial Association, an Ecumenical group who took turns doing morning daily devotions on CKNW radio. The Ferris children attended Mountain View school, Winslow Junior High School and Como Lake High School before the family moved to Lulu Island (now Richmond) in 1959.
Creator
Church of the Nazarene
Notes
Photo catalogue 575
Less detail

City Council and Office of the City Clerk fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivetextualrecord29
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1892-2021
Collection/Fonds
City Council and Office of the City Clerk fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
130m of textual records and other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records generated in the course of municipal business by City Council and the Office of the City Clerk.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1892-2021
Collection/Fonds
City Council and Office of the City Clerk fonds
Physical Description
130m of textual records and other material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records generated in the course of municipal business by City Council and the Office of the City Clerk.
History/Biography
The City of Burnaby covers an area of approximately 98 square kilometers between the cities of Vancouver to the west, and Coquitlam and New Westminster to the east, Burrard Inlet to the north, and the Fraser River to the south. The municipality derived its name from Robert Burnaby, a prominent businessman and advisor to Sir James Douglas, the first Governor of the Crown Colony of British Columbia. Burnaby’s early development was closely tied to the development of the City of New Westminster. New Westminster became British Columbia’s capital in 1859, the year after the British Government proclaimed the establishment of British Columbia. Shortly thereafter, the Royal Engineers began exploring Burnaby to establish military defenses and secure natural resources. This involved the construction of a road linking New Westminster to Burrard Inlet for military purposes, which is present-day North Road. At this time, individuals and families began settling in Burnaby and were largely involved in agricultural and logging activities. Burnaby developed slowly until 1887, when the Canadian Pacific Railway was extended into Vancouver from the Port Moody terminal, causing a dramatic increase in traffic between New Westminster and Vancouver. To meet the new transportation demands, a tramline was built in 1891 connecting the two urban centers along what is now Kingsway. The creation and location of the tramline induced property owners to begin subdividing and selling their lands as early as October 1891. The property taxes the roughly 200 residents paid at this time went directly to the provincial government in Victoria. No local services were provided in turn, which prompted the formation of a committee to petition the provincial government for a municipal charter. As a result, the Corporation of the District of Burnaby was incorporated by letters patent on September 22, 1892. Burnaby’s first Council was elected by acclamation on October 15, 1892 and consisted of Reeve Charles R. Shaw and councillors William Brenchley, Arthur De Windt Hazard, L. Claude Hill, William McDermott, and John Woolard.* The first formal Council election was conducted three months later. Nicolai Shou became the first elected reeve of Burnaby by ballot. Council met at various locations, including the tramline’s power house, private homes, and offices until the first municipal hall was built at Kingsway and Edmonds in 1899. Council is ultimately responsible for the government of the City of Burnaby. The Mayor (formally called “Reeve” prior to 1968) and Council are elected by the residents of Burnaby to represent them in decisions with respect to the provision of public services and facilities. Additionally, the Mayor represents the citizens of Burnaby at various public functions and events. Burnaby was without Council representation during most of the Great Depression and part of the Second World War. Council was disbanded on December 31, 1932 as a result of financial difficulties. The Provincial Government appointed a Commissioner to take over the duties of Reeve and Council beginning in 1933. This system of government was retained until January 1943, when Burnaby residents could once again elect their local government officials. The following individuals have served as Mayor (or Reeve) of Burnaby: Reeves and Mayors: Charles R. Shaw 1892 Nicolai C. Schou 1893-1903 Charles F. Sprott 1904-1905 Peter Byrne 1906-1910 John W. Weart 1911-1912 Duncan C. McGregor 1913 Hugh M. Fraser 1914-1918 Thomas Sanderson 1919-1920 Alexander K. McLean 1921-1926; 1928-1929 Charles C. Bell 1927 William L. Burdick 1929 William A. Pritchard 1930-1932 William Tate Wilson 1943-1944 George A. Morrison 1945-1949 William R. Beamish 1950-1953 Charles W. MacSorley 1954-1957 Alan H. Emmott 1958-1968 Robert W. Prittie 1969-1973 Thomas W. Constable 1973-1979 David M. Mercier 1979-1981 William A. Lewarne 1981-1987 William J. Copeland 1987-1996 Douglas P. Drummond 1996-2002 Derek R. Corrigan 2002-2018 Mike Hurley 2018-present The following individuals have served as provincially appointed Commissioners for the Corporation of the District of Burnaby: Commissioners: John Bennett 1933 John Mahony 1933-1934 Hugh M. Fraser 1934-1940* R.S. Gilchrist 1941-1942* B.C. Bracewell 1942* *Richard Bolton was Acting Commissioner for most of 1940-1942. He refused to be a full-fledged Commissioner. Closely associated with the functions of Council is the City Clerk. The Office of the City Clerk is responsible for the statutory duties of the municipal clerk including the preparation and preservation of all minutes books and records of Council business, custody of City bylaws, administrative support to Council and its Committees, preparation of Council and Committee agendas and the conduct of local government elections. The Clerk’s Office is the communications link between Council and other City Departments and the general public, and provides assistance and advice to citizens with respect to Council and Council Committee processes, reporting procedures and decisions. At the time of Burnaby’s incorporation in 1892, the municipal Clerk had the responsibility to attend all meetings of Council, keep all records of Council, prepare and alter voters’ lists, conduct Council elections, collect revenue, as well as having the responsibility to prepare balance sheets and audits. An advertisement in a local newspaper for the appointment of the Clerk dated February 1, 1905 states the “united offices of clerk, collector and assessor” receive a salary of $65.00 per month. Originally the treasurer, assessor and records manager for the corporation, the Clerk eventually became the municipal Council liaison. The primary functions of the City Clerk over time have been the keeping of minutes for the meetings of City Council and related bodies; keeping the records of the City of Burnaby as required by the Local Government Act (formally Municipal Act); keeping all records related to City Council decision making; carrying out correspondence on behalf of Council; assembling voters’ lists and carrying out elections; providing communication, information, and public relations services, including responsibility for civic ceremonies/events, and the municipal archives. The following individuals have served as City Clerk: Alexander Philip 1892–1894 Alfred Smither 1894–1899 F.J.H. Shirley 1899–1901 Arthur De Windt Haszard 1901–1902 Walter J. Walker 1902–1905 Benjamin George Walker 1905–1908 Charles Thomas Saunders 1908–1911 W.M. Griffiths 1911–1912 Arthur G. Moore 1912–1933 Charles Boyer Brown 1933–1959 John H. Shaw 1959–1973* James Hudson 1974–1984 Charles A. Turpin 1984–1995 Debbie R. Comis 1995–2011 Anne Skipsey (Acting) 2011-2012 Maryann Manuel (Acting) 2012-2014 Dennis Back 2014-2018 Kate O'Connell 2018-2020 Blanka Zeinabova 2020-2022 *Deputy City Clerk T. Ward took over many of the Clerk’s duties from 1972 to 1973 due to Shaw’s ill health during these years.
Formats
Microforms exist for some records. See series descriptions.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on creators of fonds
Less detail

City of Burnaby Archives photograph collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat93710
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1920]-[1979]
Collection/Fonds
City of Burnaby Archives photograph collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
43 photographs and 3 p. of textual records
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs that were selected for preservation because of their relevance to documenting the heritage and development of the City of Burnaby. The items in this collection depict Burnaby citizens, locations, businesses, residences, geography, and events throughout the history…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1920]-[1979]
Collection/Fonds
City of Burnaby Archives photograph collection
Physical Description
43 photographs and 3 p. of textual records
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Accession Number
2010-01
2013-31
2016-24
2021-10
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs that were selected for preservation because of their relevance to documenting the heritage and development of the City of Burnaby. The items in this collection depict Burnaby citizens, locations, businesses, residences, geography, and events throughout the history of the City of Burnaby. The items in this collection are acquisitions of discrete items or small sets of items that do not form a discrete fonds or collection.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
City of Burnaby Archives
Notes
Title based on content of collection
Less detail

Columbian Newspaper collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto31
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[195-]-1985
Collection/Fonds
Columbian Newspaper collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1579 photographs : b&w + col.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs created by or for the Columbian Newspaper and the Burnaby Today newspaper (child company to the Columbian). Photographs depict various people, organizations, and events in Burnaby that had historical interest. Many of the photographs within this collection have ne…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[195-]-1985
Collection/Fonds
Columbian Newspaper collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2003-02
2009-01
Physical Description
1579 photographs : b&w + col.
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs created by or for the Columbian Newspaper and the Burnaby Today newspaper (child company to the Columbian). Photographs depict various people, organizations, and events in Burnaby that had historical interest. Many of the photographs within this collection have newspaper photographers identified as: Peter Battistoni, Tom Braid, Campbell, Randy Glover, Craig Hodge, B.C. Jennings, Basil King, Ken Oakes, Sheamus Smith, John Symonds, Don Trimbell and Don Whistler.
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
Photo catalogue 480, photo catalogue 222
Less detail

Community Heritage Commission Special Project fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat74546
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1994-2012
Collection/Fonds
Community Heritage Commission Special Projects fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Photographs and other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of project records created by Burnaby's Community Heritage Commission as part of their initiative and mandate.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1994-2012
Collection/Fonds
Community Heritage Commission Special Projects fonds
Physical Description
Photographs and other material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Open access
Accession Number
2012-07
2009-10
2012-30
2016-04
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of project records created by Burnaby's Community Heritage Commission as part of their initiative and mandate.
History/Biography
The History and Heritage Committee was established in 1992 under Burnaby's Centennial Committee. When the Centennial Committee was disbanded on December 31, 1992 , the History and Heritage Committee was made a part of the Burnaby Heritage Advisory Committee and proceeded under it's authority until 1995 when it was renamed The Community Heritage Commission (CHC) as a municipal heritage advisory committee by the Burnaby City Council under section 15 of the Heritage Conservation Act.The commission endeavours to provide comprehensive community heritage and history projects and programs to bring together the 'personal history' of citizens and facilitate a wider understanding and appreciation of Burnaby's 'collective memory'. Projects undertaken by Burnaby's Community Heritage Commission include: Burnaby Centennial Anthology: Stories of Early Burnaby; In the Shadow by the Sea: Recollections of Burnaby's Barnet Village, the Heritage Burnaby website (www.heritageburnaby.ca); Charting Change: An Interactive Atlas and various oral history projects. These projects fall under the Community Heritage Commission's mandate to provide the citizens of Burnaby and the wider public with access to information about the city and its unique history through publications and online finding aids.
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Sound Recording
Creator
Community Heritage Commission
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
PC 615, PC 503, MSS198, MSS171, MSS196, and PC 549
Less detail

Digney Family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivevideo85415
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1936-1959
Collection/Fonds
Digney Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w + 1 film reel : col. ; 16mm + 7 optical discs (DVDs) + 1 portable drive
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a reel of film (digitized into four segments) created by Andy Digney; a panorama photograph of the Digney Pee-Wee Bowling League from 1958 or 1959 and 18 film segments on DVD that were originally created by Andy Digney between 1934-1961 and digitized by his grandson Paul Digney in…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1936-1959
Collection/Fonds
Digney Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w + 1 film reel : col. ; 16mm + 7 optical discs (DVDs) + 1 portable drive
Media Type
Moving Images
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a reel of film (digitized into four segments) created by Andy Digney; a panorama photograph of the Digney Pee-Wee Bowling League from 1958 or 1959 and 18 film segments on DVD that were originally created by Andy Digney between 1934-1961 and digitized by his grandson Paul Digney in 2012. The 16 mm film is divided into the following segments; the Oak Theatre in 1936 (construction and opening), the Royal Visit ( from the King and Queen in 1939), Burnaby Sports and May Day events (ca. 1937) and the Labour parade ( ca. 1935). The 18 film segments contain footage of the Digney family at their home in Brandon Manitoba and Burnaby, views of the Oak Theatre and Digney Speedway in operation and their travels throughout British Columbia and abroad. The 18 film segments are described at item level and titled; Andy's first film; Brandon,Manitoba; Burnaby and Digney recreational events; Trip to Kamloops; Burnaby; Burnaby, Vancouver and the north shore; Galiano Island, Oak Theatre and Calgary; Travels to Ontario, Quebec and England; Travels to England #2 ; Travels to England #3; Parades; Digney family in Burnaby; Paul Digney and family; Digney family and the Oak Theatre gardens; Digney family at Bonsor Avenue and family outings; Building and opening the Digney Speedway; Digney family travel the praries; San Francisco Trip.
History/Biography
Andy Digney was born in London, England on July 27, 1886. His given names were Andrew Charles and in 1905, he immigrated with his elder brother to Raymore Saskatchewan and worked on a farm. In 1914, he met and married Alice Swan and in 1920 they had their one and only child, Ernest ('Dig'). The young family lived in Beatty Saskatchewan where they ran a small general store with a pool hall over the top. Andy sold the store and they moved to Carberry Manitoba where Andy worked selling lightening rods and hanging wallpaper. At this time he met and formed a partnership with someone who owned a hand cranked move projector and in the evenings, he and his wife, traveled to church halls in neighbouring towns showing movies. Eventually, he purchased his own movie projector and opened a small theatre in Carberry. He worked odd jobs during the daytime and projected movies in his small theatre at night. Eventually he made enough money to move to Brandon, Manitoba where he purchased a restaurant which he turned into a theatre with living quarters above. Andy called the theatre 'The Oak' since the mighty oak was strong and stood forever. After starting the first Oak Theatre in Brandon, Manitoba when talking pictures came along, Andy Digney, his wife Alice and son Ernest ('Dig') moved to Burnaby in 1935 and chose the site of their new theatre and home at the corner of Kingsway and Marlborough. The Oak Theatre - which opened on August 4, 1937 - was hailed as an artistic masterpiece for its ultra modern white stucco exterior, floodlights and pink-and-green neon marquee. The interior featured a mirrored ceiling, fireplace, and aquarium and had a colour scheme of orchid, royal blue, silver and black. Andy was a very involved member of the Burnaby community becoming the founding president of the Lion's club and the chairman of the committee raising money for war bonds during World War II. In 1944, Andy suffered a severe heart attack, forcing him to retire, so in 1945 he sold the theatre to Odeon Theatres of Canada who continued to operate at this location until 1968 when competition forced its closure and demolition. Andy and his family relocated to a home on Bonsor Avenue on 3/4 acres where he spent much of his time cultivating a lovely garden. In about 1946, Andy was approached by the B.C. Midget Auto Racing Association, who were looking for a good location to race the smaller, racing cars, popular at the time. Andy was interested and purchased 10 acres of property located near the corner of Irmin Street and MacPherson Avenue and built a race track. The Digney Speedway opened on July 8, 1948 with stands that had capacity of holding 4500 people. In 1949, when the popularity of midget racing declined, Digney started racing roadsters. However, he struggled to find local drivers, and it was expensive to bring in drivers from elsewhere. In 1951 Digney found a winner: jalopy racing. Local men would buy 1930s cars and strip them down, remove the glass, and weld the doors shut. By early 1952 over forty cars were showing up for jalopy races. By the early 1950s the Speedway was well established, with coverage in the sports pages and on radio. Andy's son Ernest Digney (also known as Dig) worked at the race track but moved away with his wife in 1951 to work in Seattle. Andy and his wife Joyce, along with their two young sons, Paul and Bruce returned to Burnaby in 1953 moving into a 550 square foot apartment located above the Digney Speedway restrooms. In 1954 Simpson Sears built a large store on Kingsway and their parking lot came up to the back garden of the family home on Bonsor Avenue. Andy thought of building small stores on his property but in the end decided to build a bowling alley, clearing out his beautiful garden. The Digney Bowl opened on August 19,1955 and Andy Digney, his wife Alice, son 'Dig' and daughter in law Joyce all worked at both the Speedway and the bowling alley. In 1956 Andy decided to finally retire and sold the bowling alley and home to his son 'Dig' which he paid for over time. 'Dig' and his family moved into the house on Bonsor Avenue and ran the bowling alley until their son Bruce took over in 1980. Andy Digney died in 1964 while travelling with his wife in England. His wife Alice died on June 3, 1982 and their son, Ernest ('Dig') died November 27, 2009.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo/MI catalogue 562
Creator
Digney family
Less detail

Digney Family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumvideo10597
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[between 1954 and 1964] (date of originals), copied in 2016 and 2019
Collection/Fonds
Digney Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
6 video recordings (mp4) (approx. 3hr., 18 min.) : digital, 23 fps
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of compilation of six films (including film clips) created by Andy Digney and his son Ernest "Dig" Digney. Film content includes footage of members of the Digney family and friends in Burnaby; the Digney homes on Bonsor Avenue and Kaymar Drive; construction of the Digney Bowling Alle…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Digney Family fonds
Date
[between 1954 and 1964] (date of originals), copied in 2016 and 2019
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
6 video recordings (mp4) (approx. 3hr., 18 min.) : digital, 23 fps
Material Details
Films were digitized in 2019 from original 8 mm format
Accession Code
BV019.18
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Media Type
Moving Images
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of compilation of six films (including film clips) created by Andy Digney and his son Ernest "Dig" Digney. Film content includes footage of members of the Digney family and friends in Burnaby; the Digney homes on Bonsor Avenue and Kaymar Drive; construction of the Digney Bowling Alley and the Simpsons-Sears building; Lawn bowling at Central Park as well as various family events, gatherings, vacations and trips.
History/Biography
Andy Digney was born in London, England on July 27, 1886. His given names were Andrew Charles and in 1905, he immigrated with his elder brother to Raymore Saskatchewan and worked on a farm. In 1914, he met and married Alice Swan and in 1920 they had their one and only child, Ernest ('Dig'). The young family lived in Beatty Saskatchewan where they ran a small general store with a pool hall over the top. Andy sold the store and they moved to Carberry Manitoba where Andy worked selling lightening rods and hanging wallpaper. At this time he met and formed a partnership with someone who owned a hand cranked move projector and in the evenings, he and his wife, traveled to church halls in neighbouring towns showing movies. Eventually, he purchased his own movie projector and opened a small theatre in Carberry. He worked odd jobs during the daytime and projected movies in his small theatre at night. Eventually he made enough money to move to Brandon, Manitoba where he purchased a restaurant which he turned into a theatre with living quarters above. Andy called the theatre 'The Oak' since the mighty oak was strong and stood forever. After starting the first Oak Theatre in Brandon, Manitoba when talking pictures came along, Andy Digney, his wife Alice and son Ernest ('Dig') moved to Burnaby in 1936 and chose the site of their new theatre and home at the corner of Kingsway and Marlborough. The Oak Theatre - which opened on August 4, 1937 - was hailed as an artistic masterpiece for its ultra modern white stucco exterior, floodlights and pink-and-green neon marquee. The interior featured a mirrored ceiling, fireplace, and aquarium and had a colour scheme of orchid, royal blue, silver and black. Andy was a very involved member of the Burnaby community becoming the founding president of the Lion's club and the chairman of the committee raising money for war bonds during World War II. In 1944, Andy suffered a severe heart attack, forcing him to retire, so in 1945 he sold the theatre to Odeon Theatres of Canada who continued to operate at this location until 1968 when competition forced its closure and demolition. Andy and his family relocated to a house at 2698 Bonsor Avenue (after 1959-6521 Bonsor Ave.) on 3/4 acres where he spent much of his time cultivating a lovely garden. In about 1946, Andy was approached by the B.C. Midget Auto Racing Association, who were looking for a good location to race the smaller, racing cars, popular at the time. Andy was interested and purchased 10 acres of property located near the corner of Irmin Street and MacPherson Avenue and built a race track. The Digney Speedway opened on July 8, 1948 with stands that had capacity of holding 4500 people. In 1949, when the popularity of midget racing declined, Digney started racing roadsters. However, he struggled to find local drivers, and it was expensive to bring in drivers from elsewhere. In 1951 Digney found a winner: jalopy racing. Local men would buy 1930s cars and strip them down, remove the glass, and weld the doors shut. By early 1952 over forty cars were showing up for jalopy races. By the early 1950s the Speedway was well established, with coverage in the sports pages and on radio. Andy's son Ernest Digney (also known as Dig) worked at the race track but moved away with his wife in 1951 to work in Seattle. Dig and his wife Joyce, along with their two young sons, Paul and Bruce returned to Burnaby in 1953 moving into a 550 square foot apartment located above the Digney Speedway restrooms. In 1954 Simpsons-Sears built a large store on Kingsway and their parking lot came up to the back garden of the family home on Bonsor Avenue. Andy thought of building small stores on his property but in the end decided to build a bowling alley, clearing out his beautiful garden. The Digney Bowl opened on August 19,1955 and Andy Digney, his wife Alice, son 'Dig' and daughter in law Joyce all worked at both the Speedway and the Bowling Alley. In 1956 Andy decided to finally retire and sold the bowling alley and home to his son 'Dig' which he paid for over time. 'Dig' and his family moved into the house on Bonsor Avenue and ran the bowling alley until their son Bruce took over in 1980. Andy Digney died in England in 1964 while on his world tour. His wife Alice died on June 3, 1982 and their son, Ernest ('Dig') died November 27, 2009.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Disappearing Burnaby collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto98597
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2021-2022
Collection/Fonds
Disappearing Burnaby collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
33 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and col.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs taken by photographer Nakita Cheung for her "Disappearing Burnaby" project. In this project, which is also published on her blog "Disappearing Burnaby" (https://disappearingburnaby.wordpress.com), Cheung is creating a "photo journal of Burnaby’s disappearing low-r…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2021-2022
Collection/Fonds
Disappearing Burnaby collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2022-14
Physical Description
33 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and col.
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs taken by photographer Nakita Cheung for her "Disappearing Burnaby" project. In this project, which is also published on her blog "Disappearing Burnaby" (https://disappearingburnaby.wordpress.com), Cheung is creating a "photo journal of Burnaby’s disappearing low-rise apartments, bungalows, and buildings." Cheung photographs buildings and structures that she finds aesthetically and historically interesting before they are lost to time and/or development in the changing urban landscape of Burnaby. For this collection, Cheung selected thirty-three photographs that she felt represented Burnaby in a time of transition. These photographs document single-family homes, low-rise apartment buildings, commercial buildings, signage, and street scenes, often at night and in the rain.
History/Biography
Nakita Cheung is an amateur photographer located in Burnaby, BC near Metrotown. She was born on July 3, 1994 and grew up in Burnaby.
Creator
Cheung, Nakita
Less detail

Disney Family collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97178
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1914-1963]
Collection/Fonds
Disney Family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
42 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of maps and plans created and collected by John Howard "Jack" Disney.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1914-1963]
Collection/Fonds
Disney Family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2016-03
Physical Description
42 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of maps and plans created and collected by John Howard "Jack" Disney.
History/Biography
John Howard "Jack" Disney served as Burnaby Surveyor from 1911-1919.
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
MSS199
Less detail

Donald Copan collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museummultipleformat3618
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1971
Collection/Fonds
Donald Copan collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records + 3 architectural drawings + 17 photographs + 1 scrapbook album : 727 photographs + ephemera
Scope and Content
Collection consists of material collected and created by Donald Copan while he was an active member of the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee and as founding President of the Century Park Museum Association. The fonds includes a scrabpook album of photographs and ephemera documenting the Burnaby Cent…
Administrative History
Donald "Don" A. Copan was born in Victoria B.C. in 1928 and moved with his family to East Vancouver in the mid nineteen thirties. Don graduated from Britannia High School in the nineteen forties and graduated from the BC Provincial Normal School in 1948. In 1952, Don married Barbara Thomson. The co…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Donald Copan collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records + 3 architectural drawings + 17 photographs + 1 scrapbook album : 727 photographs + ephemera
Scope and Content
Collection consists of material collected and created by Donald Copan while he was an active member of the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee and as founding President of the Century Park Museum Association. The fonds includes a scrabpook album of photographs and ephemera documenting the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee's involvement in celebrating British Columbia's Centenary of Confederation between January and December 1971 including Burnaby's Commemorative Project - Heritage Village (Burnaby Village Museum); plans and reports regarding the creation of Heritage Village and a small collection of records regarding British Columbia Summer Games that Burnaby hosted in 1984 and 1997 as well as a small collection of photographs of a wedding taking place at Willingdon Heights United Church. Fonds is arranged into three series: 1) Copan album series 2) Heritage Village project series 3) Copan family photograph series 4) B.C. Summer Games series
Administrative History
Donald "Don" A. Copan was born in Victoria B.C. in 1928 and moved with his family to East Vancouver in the mid nineteen thirties. Don graduated from Britannia High School in the nineteen forties and graduated from the BC Provincial Normal School in 1948. In 1952, Don married Barbara Thomson. The couple moved to Highlawn Drive in 1954 where they raised their two sons Angus and Todd. Don and his family were active members of the Willingdon Heights United Church. Don's teaching career began at Westridge Elementary School. He worked in Burnaby as an educator, including serving as the Principal of Twelfth Avenue Elementary School and retired from teaching in 1983. He served on the 1958 and 1971 Burnaby Centennial Committees and was the founding President of the Century Park Museum Association (the non-profit society that operated the Heritage Village Museum from 1971 to 1989, now Burnaby Village Museum). Don served on the Executive of the Century Park Museum Association (CPMA) every year of the organization's existence. Don's wife Barbara Copan was also active in the CPMA, as a volunteer with a focus on the gift shop. In 1982, Don became Burnaby's first "Citizen of the Year" and was awarded the Kushiro cup for his volunteerism. Don was also involved in many other community organizations in the 1970s, including serving as President of the Burnaby Region, Boy Scouts (1975), and as a community resource person of the Board of Burnaby Big Brothers Association. He was Chairman of the Burnaby Family Court for seven years and Chairman of the Lower Mainland Family Court Committee for four years. He was also President of the Burnaby Teachers' Association circa 1974. Barbara Copan died in October 2017 and Don died in June 2020.
Accession Code
BV005.54
BV021.4
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
1971
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Architectural Drawing
Related Material
Donald Wrigley fonds; Century Park Museum Association fonds; Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee collection
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Ephemera from scrapbook is described separately with the Burnaby Village Museum Artifacts collection
Some photographs have been "Closed" due to poor quality and duplication in content
For other records regarding the history of Heritage Village Museum see also: Century Park Museum Association fonds; Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee collection and Burnaby Village Museum fonds
See also B.C. Summer Games artifacts BV021.4.1 to BV021.4.12 & BV021.4.21; BV021.4.25; BV021.4.26
Less detail

Don McQueen fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat88836
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1961-1964
Collection/Fonds
Don McQueen fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
99 photographs + 1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a scrapbook organized by Don McQueen containing photographs, newspaper articles and clippings from the Fraser Valley Milk Producers Association newsletter "Fraser Valley Milk Break". The scrapbook documents and chronologizes the planning, construction and implementation of the Fr…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1961-1964
Collection/Fonds
Don McQueen fonds
Physical Description
99 photographs + 1 folder of textual records
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
In Archives only
Reproduction Restriction
No reproduction permitted
Accession Number
2015-10
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a scrapbook organized by Don McQueen containing photographs, newspaper articles and clippings from the Fraser Valley Milk Producers Association newsletter "Fraser Valley Milk Break". The scrapbook documents and chronologizes the planning, construction and implementation of the Fraser Valley Milk Producers Association Plant located on Lougheed Highway in Burnaby as well as providing some background history on this organization. The Fraser Valley Milk Producers Assocation (FVPMA) was organized by farmers to protect the quality and price of milk. It was granted its charter on June 18th, 1913 and the organization was represented by farmers of every district in the Fraser Valley with 22 locals. In 1919, the Association purchased manufacturing plants and a milk company and in 1920 the firm acquired another milk company and condensery. In 1923, the FVPMA became the first Canadian dairy organization to establish a quality control laboratory and employ a bacteriologist and in 1943 the Association established Dairyland dairies. The original headquarters for the FVMPA was located at 425 W. 8th Avenue in Vancouver and as a result of FVMPA's growing success and need for expansion, a modern plant was opened in Burnaby in 1964. The four million dollar plant was built on a 24 acre site located at Sperling and Lougheed Highway. This location also housed the association's head office, the Dairyland Fluid Milk Division plant and offices, the Arctic Ice Cream Division plant and offices and the Concentrated Milk Division (Pacific Evaporated and Powder) sales and offices. The facility included a processing plant, service block, garage, primary and secondary mechanical and electrical services as well as air conditioned office space. The general contract to build the plant was awarded to John Laing and Son (Canada) Ltd. and was overseen by the FVMPA engineering department, headed by D.R. McQueen, P. Eng.
History/Biography
Don McQueen was born September 7, 1918 in Wilkie Saskatchewan and was the son of Thomas Kerningham McQueen (1873-1948) and Ethel (Badley) McQueen (1889-1981) and brother to Tom Alexander McQueen (1920-1999). In 1924 Don moved with his family from Wilkie, Saskatchewan to North Vancouver until 1930 when they moved to Burnaby. In 1942, Don moved back to North Vancouver and in 1951 he settled in West Vancouver. As a child, Don attended Queen Mary Elementary School in North Vancouver, followed by attending Burnaby North High School and completing a degree in Engineering at University of British Columbia in 1948. Don married Rosina Amelia Hewett in 1942 and together they had four children; Donald James McQueen, Rose Anne McQueen, Robin Elaine McQueen and Robert Douglas McQueen. Following the death of Don's first wife, Rosina in 1966, Don was married three more times, beginning with Laverne Cyr, followed by Marian Schreiber and Gregoria Noble. During World War II, Don worked at Boeing Air Craft building planes and after the war from 1945 until 1948, he worked at the shipyards in North Vancouver. In 1948 he joined Dairyland which was affiliated with the Fraser Valley Milk Association (FVMPA) working as the head of Engineering until his retirement in 1980. Building the Fraser Valley Milk Producers Association plant which opened in 1964 was a highlight of his career where he was employed as the lead Engineer in creating a state of the art plant located at Lougheed Highway and Sperling Avenue in Burnaby. Don spent three years directing research investigations into modern dairies and ice cream plants throughout Canada and the USA. This plant served the Fraser Valley Milk Producers Association for many years to come and his dedication resulted in giving hundreds of hours of overtime for which he was never paid. Don belonged to the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C. (APEGB) from 1948, was a founding member of the Hollyburn Country Club in West Vancouver and between 1950 and the 1960s was a director on the board for the West Vancouver YMCA. Don had many hobbies including Russian ballet, kinesiology, drawing, photography, sailing, canoeing and taught ballroom dancing and downhill skiing. He competed in fencing in the Empire Games in the 1950s and was slated to canoe for Canada in the 1940 Olympics but was prevented by the war. He was a carpenter and handy man beginning with building his first sail boat at 12 years of age and later enjoyed building and restoring furniture.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
McQueen, Don
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS193, photo catalogue 588
Less detail

Doreen Lawson fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat58356
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1950-2002
Collection/Fonds
Doreen Lawson fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
18 cm of textual records + approx. 1000 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and received by Doreen Lawson during her career as Parks Commissioner (1965-1971), Burnaby City Council member (1972-1985, 1990-1999) and environmental advocate following her retirement from Council in 1999. Records include election campaign materials, congratulat…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1950-2002
Collection/Fonds
Doreen Lawson fonds
Physical Description
18 cm of textual records + approx. 1000 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2003-30
2015-15
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and received by Doreen Lawson during her career as Parks Commissioner (1965-1971), Burnaby City Council member (1972-1985, 1990-1999) and environmental advocate following her retirement from Council in 1999. Records include election campaign materials, congratulatory letters and correspondence, community speeches and slideshow presentations regarding the conservation of Burnaby Lake, the administrative papers of the Burnaby Centennial Rhododendron and Spring Flower Show Society, and photographs of Burnaby waterways and wildlife.
History/Biography
Doreen Anne Fowler Lawson was born July 8, 1928 to Eva Barnhill and Leonard Fowler. Her parents met in Alberta but decided to move to Vancouver where they got married and Doreen was born. The family moved to the north side of Claude Avenue in Burnaby when Doreen was a few months old. In 1931 they moved to a house with an acre of land directly across the street from their first house.
When Doreen was six her family moved to Collingwood, Vancouver, near where her father grew up. This is where her brother Ron was born. The family moved again to County Line in Langley Prairie in 1944 which is where Doreen met Edward Lawson, her future husband. Soon after, they moved to a seven acre plot in Burquitlam. Ed and Doreen Lawson’s eldest daughter Linda was born in 1954. Their second daughter Wendy was born in 1959 and their youngest Lisa was born in 1961. They lived in the Brentwood area, where all three daughters attended Brentwood Elementary School. Linda went on to Alpha Secondary School.
In 1945 Doreen began her first of several office jobs, and in the early 1950s she became the first woman to be elected into a vice-president position within the BC Trade Union Congress (now the BC Federation of Labour).
Doreen Lawson had a long and prolific political career, starting as Parks Commissioner in 1965; serving as its chair from 1969 to 1971. She was instrumental in the selection and promotion of the rhododendron as the official flower of Burnaby in 1966. In 1971 she was elected to Burnaby City Council and in 1972 Doreen proposed that Council take action to declare Burnaby Lake a wildlife sanctuary. After a ten year campaign, she was able to convince Council to declare the park “a nature conservation area.” She put forward a policy of preservation for creeks and streams, as well as a proposal to preserve trees in subdivisions, both of which were adopted by Council. Doreen continued to serve on Council until 1985, during which time she initiated and chaired the Burnaby Information Committee which designed the present Burnaby logo (and official flower pins) and established the “Information Burnaby Newsletter. In 1979 Doreen Lawson won Vancouver Natural History Society’s “Frank Sanford Award”.
In 1984 she was elected the first woman president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. Doreen ran as a BC Liberal Party candidate in the new Federal Riding of Burnaby in 1979 and from 1985 to 1987 she served as the Executive Director of the British Columbia Liberal Party. As the B.C. Liberal Party Executive Director, her major responsibility was to work with both the Federal and Provincial Associations in implementing riding organizations and fundraising programs in preparation for election time. In the 1980s Doreen was an active guest lecturer at Burnaby Elementary and High Schools as well as the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University. Doreen was active in a variety of community clubs and organizations including; the Burnaby Library Board, Greater Vancouver Spinners and Weavers Guild and Vancouver Natural History Society. She was an executive member of the Burnaby-New Westminster Canada Summer Games, the Burnaby Division of the United Way, Information Burnaby Committee and the Brentwood Parent Teachers Association as well as serving as the President of the Burnaby Voter’s Association from 1988-1990.
In 1990 Doreen was elected back to Burnaby Council and put forward the rejuvenation of Burnaby Lake which she saw completed before her final year on Council in 1999. Doreen continued to be a strong environmental advocate for the protection and rejuvenation of Burnaby Lake after she retired from council.
Doreen Lawson died October 11, 2003.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
Lawson, Doreen A.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS071, photo catalogue 605, photo catalogue 618
Less detail

Dorothy Atkinson fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumtextualrecord17532
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1929-2004, predominant 1929-1940
Collection/Fonds
Dorothy Atkinson fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of school report cards and certificates belonging to Dorothy Atkinson (nee Mallett) along with a Vancouver Daily Province Pioneer's Honour Roll Certificate awarded to her parents, Percy and Alice Mallett (nee Lowry).
Administrative History
Alice (nee Lowry) (1879-1954) and Percy Mallett (1882-1955) were married in Vancouver, British Columbia on January 26, 1910. Alice Lowry was born in Kinnear’s Mills, Quebec and Percy Mallett was born in Cornwall, England. Alice and Percy had four children Percival “Perc” (1916-1971), Alan (1919-200…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Dorothy Atkinson fonds
Date
1929-2004, predominant 1929-1940
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Accession Code
BV021.28
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of school report cards and certificates belonging to Dorothy Atkinson (nee Mallett) along with a Vancouver Daily Province Pioneer's Honour Roll Certificate awarded to her parents, Percy and Alice Mallett (nee Lowry).
Administrative History
Alice (nee Lowry) (1879-1954) and Percy Mallett (1882-1955) were married in Vancouver, British Columbia on January 26, 1910. Alice Lowry was born in Kinnear’s Mills, Quebec and Percy Mallett was born in Cornwall, England. Alice and Percy had four children Percival “Perc” (1916-1971), Alan (1919-2006), Dorothy (1923-2016) and a son who died in infancy. Alice and Percy resided in Vancouver until 1914. In 1915, they moved to 3965 Cambridge Street in Burnaby and lived there with their three children until 1934. The Mallett family lived at various other locations in Burnaby including 4119 East Hastings (1935-1937), 4075 Triumph Street (1938-1949) and 4211 Oxford Street (1950-1954). All three children attended Gilmore Avenue School and North Burnaby High School. After graduating from North Burnaby High School, Dorothy Mallett worked at B.C. Telephone and B.C. Electric in downtown Vancouver. Dorothy attended University of British Columbia for one year with her earnings from these jobs. While working at B.C. Electric, Dorothy met her future husband, Charles McDonald "Mac" Atkinson. In 1949, Dorothy Mallett married Charles McDonald “Mac” Atkinson at Willingdon Heights United Church in Burnaby with Dorothy’s brother, Reverend Percival Mallett officiating. In 1965, Dorothy and Mac moved to Nanaimo. Dorothy taught piano and was an accomplished singer and musician performing in various recitals. Dorothy died in 2016 and her husband Mac Atkinson died in 2012.
Media Type
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Douglas Stewart fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumtextualrecord17249
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1924-1951
Collection/Fonds
Douglas Stewart fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
11 cm of textual records (4 volumes)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of financial ledgers belonging to Douglas Stewart regarding his personal and business affairs including the operation of "Thistle Meat Market" and ownership of other properties located on Kingsway in Burnaby between the addresses of 4018 and 4032 Kingsway.
Administrative History
Douglas Stewart (1886-1976) was born in Kirkintilloch, Scotland and began working as a butcher at age twelve years. In 1905, at age nineteen years, Douglas immigrated to Canada, first settling in Calgary, Alberta. While in Alberta, John was employed with Burns Meat abattoir, feeding cattle on cattl…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Douglas Stewart fonds
Date
1924-1951
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
11 cm of textual records (4 volumes)
Accession Code
BV999.10
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of financial ledgers belonging to Douglas Stewart regarding his personal and business affairs including the operation of "Thistle Meat Market" and ownership of other properties located on Kingsway in Burnaby between the addresses of 4018 and 4032 Kingsway.
Administrative History
Douglas Stewart (1886-1976) was born in Kirkintilloch, Scotland and began working as a butcher at age twelve years. In 1905, at age nineteen years, Douglas immigrated to Canada, first settling in Calgary, Alberta. While in Alberta, John was employed with Burns Meat abattoir, feeding cattle on cattle cars which helped pay his way to Vancouver. Douglas married Jessie Reekie (1888-1975) who was also born in Scotland and the couple had three children, Annie Stewart Shore, Douglas William and Robert Malcolm who were all born in Vancouver. After arriving in Vancouver around 1913, Douglas worked at various meat markets as a butcher. In January 1925, Douglas opened a meat market which he named Thistle Meat Market (also known as Thistle Meats) located near the corner of Kingsway and Cassie Street in Burnaby. The family continued to live in South Vancouver until 1926 when they moved to Burnaby, first residing at 4022 Kingsway with the shop located at 4020 Kingsway. Over the years, Douglas owned buildings with addresses located between 4018 and 4032 Kingsway in Burnaby renting them out as businesses with some residences above. Between 1927 and 1935, Thistle Meats relocated to 4018 Kingsway and between 1927 and 1935 the family relocated their residence to 4020 Kingsway, above a business that was located next door to the shop. Between 1936 and 1953 Thistle Meats relocated to 4028 Kingsway and between 1936 and 1951, Douglas and Jessie relocated their residence to 4030 Kingsway. In 1951, Douglas retired, sold the buildings that he owned along Kingsway and moved to Grafton Street, Burnaby with his wife Jessie. Thistle meats continued to operate at 4028 Kingsway until 1958 and from 1959-1960, it operated at 4534 Kingsway. After Douglas Stewart retired in 1951, H.W. Silzer managed Thistle Meat Market until 1960. Douglas Stewart was a Mason with St. James Lodge No 80 and lifetime member of Kilwinning Lodge No. 29, Kirkintilloch, Scotland. Douglas Stewart died in Burnaby at the age of 91 years and his wife, Jessie died at the age of 87 years.
Media Type
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

144 records – page 2 of 8.