145 records – page 1 of 8.

Disney Family collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97178
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1914-1963]
Collection/Fonds
Disney Family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
42 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of maps and plans created and collected by John Howard "Jack" Disney.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1914-1963]
Collection/Fonds
Disney Family collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2016-03
Physical Description
42 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of maps and plans created and collected by John Howard "Jack" Disney.
History/Biography
John Howard "Jack" Disney served as Burnaby Surveyor from 1911-1919.
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
MSS199
Less detail

Gordon Presbyterian Church fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97220
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-1950 (date of originals); 2012
Collection/Fonds
Gordon Presbyterian Church fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
9 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs created by members of the Gordon Presbyterian Church that depict the Church and district as well as events and activities undertaken by or for church groups. Included in the fonds are photographs taken at the Church's one hundredth anniversary event.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-1950 (date of originals); 2012
Collection/Fonds
Gordon Presbyterian Church fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-12
Physical Description
9 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs created by members of the Gordon Presbyterian Church that depict the Church and district as well as events and activities undertaken by or for church groups. Included in the fonds are photographs taken at the Church's one hundredth anniversary event.
History/Biography
In November 1911, a small group of people met at Morton Hall on Edmonds Street, Burnaby to organize a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. David J. Gordon, a student from Westminster Hall Theological College, was in charge. By 1912, a building was erected on two lots and named the “Gordon Presbyterian Church.” A new sanctuary was built in 1956 and due to the increase in the congregation, a Christan Education Centre was added in 1974. The longest minister to serve the congregation was Reverend George Philps and his wife Margaret. After twenty-one years, he retired in 1987. In April of 1988, Reverend Charles Scott began serving. Six months later, a fire broke out in the centre portion of the complex. For many months, while reconstruction continued, worship services were held at the Edmonds Community Centre for the Retired. In 2001, Reverend Cal MacLeod and his wife Robin joined the congregation. Mrs. Marie Douglas, wife of retired minister Reverend R. J. Douglas and mother of missionary to India, Ellen Douglas, started the first Women’s Missionary Auxiliary in 1932. The Ladies Aid Societies were an active force in the Gordon Presbyterian Church. In 1957, the original Ladies Aid became known as the Margaret Hall Circle, named after Margaret Philps’ mother, who had been an active member. For many years, the COC, Explorers and CGIT were very active and Sunday School classes have been in operation since the beginning.
Creator
Gordon Presbyterian Church
Notes
Title based on content of fonds
PC 555
Less detail

J.W. Phillips fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97221
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1910-1914
Collection/Fonds
J.W. Phillips fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken by photographer J. W. Phillips. The photographs depict members of the J.W. Phillips family, who lived in the Capitol Hill area, along with images of North Burnaby scenes and neighbourhoods.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1910-1914
Collection/Fonds
J.W. Phillips fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2008-18
Physical Description
Photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken by photographer J. W. Phillips. The photographs depict members of the J.W. Phillips family, who lived in the Capitol Hill area, along with images of North Burnaby scenes and neighbourhoods.
History/Biography
Emily Brew married William James Phillips in Douglas on the Isle of Man, in 1884. Their first child, James William Phillips “Jim” was born in Douglas on the Isle of Man, on November 18, 1886. His brother, John George "George" was born July 27, 1890 and their sister Emily Brew "Amy" was born ca. 1892. The family of five arrived in the Capitol Hill area of North Burnaby in 1910, and built their first home on Ellesmere Avenue. They were the second family to move to the area. Jim Phillips was a carpenter by trade, but was better known as an avid amateur photographer and painter, his photographs serving as an important record of early Burnaby. He and his brother both served in World War I, but only George returned. Their sister married John William "Jack" Holmes on November 25, 1914 and had two sons, Douglas and Fred in 1926. George also married and had a son, James Brew Phillips. Emily (Brew) Phillips died January 20, 1915 at the age of fifty-three. Her husband William James Phillips died December 2 of that same year at the age of fifty-five. James William "Jim" Phillips served as a Private in the Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment), and died overseas on August 15, 1917 at the age of thirty. His sister, Emily Brew "Amy" (Phillips) Holmes died July 22, 1976 at the age of eighty-four.
Creator
Phillips, James William "Jim"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 192
Less detail

Norah Code collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto97227
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1904] - 1994
Collection/Fonds
Norah Code collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 photographs
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs of Tom Irving taken and collected by Norah Code, former editor of the "Burnaby Courier" newspaper during the course of her work for the newspaper.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1904] - 1994
Collection/Fonds
Norah Code collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2010-09
Physical Description
3 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs of Tom Irving taken and collected by Norah Code, former editor of the "Burnaby Courier" newspaper during the course of her work for the newspaper.
Notes
Title based on contents of collection.
Less detail

Disappearing Burnaby collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto98597
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2021-2022
Collection/Fonds
Disappearing Burnaby collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
33 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and col.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs taken by photographer Nakita Cheung for her "Disappearing Burnaby" project. In this project, which is also published on her blog "Disappearing Burnaby" (https://disappearingburnaby.wordpress.com), Cheung is creating a "photo journal of Burnaby’s disappearing low-r…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2021-2022
Collection/Fonds
Disappearing Burnaby collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2022-14
Physical Description
33 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and col.
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs taken by photographer Nakita Cheung for her "Disappearing Burnaby" project. In this project, which is also published on her blog "Disappearing Burnaby" (https://disappearingburnaby.wordpress.com), Cheung is creating a "photo journal of Burnaby’s disappearing low-rise apartments, bungalows, and buildings." Cheung photographs buildings and structures that she finds aesthetically and historically interesting before they are lost to time and/or development in the changing urban landscape of Burnaby. For this collection, Cheung selected thirty-three photographs that she felt represented Burnaby in a time of transition. These photographs document single-family homes, low-rise apartment buildings, commercial buildings, signage, and street scenes, often at night and in the rain.
History/Biography
Nakita Cheung is an amateur photographer located in Burnaby, BC near Metrotown. She was born on July 3, 1994 and grew up in Burnaby.
Creator
Cheung, Nakita
Less detail

Harold H. Johnston fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto47202
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1958-1983
Collection/Fonds
Harold H. Johnston fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
106 photographs (jpeg) : b&w
Scope and Content
This collection of 106 photographs depicts locations in Burnaby and its environs.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1958-1983
Collection/Fonds
Harold H. Johnston fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2008-08
Physical Description
106 photographs (jpeg) : b&w
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
Open access
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Scope and Content
This collection of 106 photographs depicts locations in Burnaby and its environs.
History/Biography
Harold Henry (Hal) Johnston (15 September 1930 - 15 January 1985) was born in Ardreagh, Northern Ireland, trained as a plasterer, and immigrated to Canada in 1951. Settling in Edmonton in 1952, he married Frances Henriette Coulombe (born 29 July 1932) in June 1955. He worked as a plasterer in Edmonton until late 1957, when they moved to Burnaby, British Columbia. They purchased, renovated and occupied 4447 Venables Street. They had two children, Sean Francois Johnston (born 30 October 1956) and Wendy Marie Johnston (born 9 October 1959). In Burnaby, they attended Holy Cross Primary School (1450 Delta Avenue), Alpha Secondary School (4600 Parker Street) and Simon Fraser University, later completing PhDs at the University of Leeds and Universite de Montreal, respectively. Harold Johnston continued to work as a plasterer, serving in 1969 as business agent for the Plasterers' and Stonemasons' Union, and then self-employed as A&H Plastering and Stucco from 1970 until his death in 1985. Frances Johnston worked part-time as secretary for Holy Cross parish rectory. Harold Johnston was a serious photographer and camera collector, recording some 1500 rolls of black and white slide film in 35mm and other formats on a variety of cameras from the early 1950s until 1984, mainly of locations in the Lower Mainland and Pacific Northwest. From 1960 he processed and printed the negatives himself in a home darkroom. From 1970 Johnston recorded a number of artists, illustrators and sculptors working in Vancouver's downtown east side, notably Wil Hudson (fine printer and typographer), Keith Shields (sculptor), Frits Jacobsen (illustrator), Charles Butler (wood sculptor) and Bill Shoebotham (primitive artist). **This biographical sketch was based on information prepared by Dr. Sean Johnston and provided to the City of Burnaby Archives in April, 2008.**
Creator
Johnston, Harold H.
Less detail

Charles MacSorley fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto55606
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1946-1960
Collection/Fonds
Charles MacSorley fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
49 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs depicting Municipal events and publicity throughout the 1950s, during the tenure of Charles MacSorley as Council member (1946-1953; 1959-1964) and Reeve (1954-1957).
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1946-1960
Collection/Fonds
Charles MacSorley fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Record No.
39423
Accession Number
2005-14
Physical Description
49 photographs
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs depicting Municipal events and publicity throughout the 1950s, during the tenure of Charles MacSorley as Council member (1946-1953; 1959-1964) and Reeve (1954-1957).
History/Biography
Charles Willoughby MacSorley was born on October 2, 1895 – one of seven boys and three girls born to the MacSorley family of Picton, Ontario. When Charles was five the family moved first to Manitoba and then, three years later, they homesteaded at Asquith, Saskatchewan where they settled for the remainder of Charles’ childhood. In 1916, Charles enlisted with the 65th Regiment from Saskatoon and served overseas throughout the course of the war in France and England. Upon returning home to Saskatchewan after the cessation of hostilities in Europe, Charles ran for and was elected to the local School Board – the first of what would become an impressive list of public offices he would hold throughout the next 50 years. In 1924, Charles married Grace Dobbs and they decided to move west, ending up in Burnaby, British Columbia. Employment opportunities were scarce during the 1920s and 1930s, but Charles worked a steady stream of jobs until he secured a position digging ditches for the Corporation of Burnaby. From 1929 until 1932, Charles worked for the Municipality and helped implement changes to improve working conditions for the labourers in the city – being an active member and later President of the Civic Employees’ Union and fighting to obtain a wage increase for the employees. When the Corporation of Burnaby fell into receivership in 1932, however, Charles was forced to find another job. He was soon hired by the Shell Oil Company and over the next decade, worked his way up from a labourer to engineer. Charles’ desire to serve the public good led him to run for office in 1945 and he was elected to serve as Councillor from 1946 until 1954, at which time he ran successfully for the position of Reeve of the Corporation. He served as Reeve until 1957. Charles then returned to hold a seat on Council once again from 1959 until the end of 1964. Concurrent with his terms in local government, Charles was also elected Chairman of the Greater Vancouver Water District (1956), Chairman of the Greater Vancouver Sewerage District (1957), President of the Union of BC Municipalities (1959) and a member of the Provincial Legislature (1963-1966), the first Social Credit Member of the Legislative Assembly elected from Burnaby. Charles MacSorley died on February 24, 1976.
Creator
MacSorley, Charles W.
Names
MacSorley, Charles W.
Notes
BHS486
Less detail

Steve Jensen fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto58368
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1944-2009
Collection/Fonds
Steve Jensen fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Graphic material
Scope and Content
Collection consists of 2 photographs: one depicting the Naud house in 2009 and one of Steve Jensen's mother and her family ca. 1944.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1944-2009
Collection/Fonds
Steve Jensen fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2009-03
Physical Description
Graphic material
Media Type
Photograph
Scope and Content
Collection consists of 2 photographs: one depicting the Naud house in 2009 and one of Steve Jensen's mother and her family ca. 1944.
Creator
Jensen, Steve
Notes
Photo catalogue 494
Less detail

Sheila Minni fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivephoto58376
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1955-1956]
Collection/Fonds
Sheila Minni fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 photographs : sepia ; 4.5 x 7 cm
Scope and Content
Fonds consist of photographs showing St. Helen's Church in Burnaby Heights.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1955-1956]
Collection/Fonds
Sheila Minni fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2009-04
Physical Description
3 photographs : sepia ; 4.5 x 7 cm
Media Type
Photograph
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Scope and Content
Fonds consist of photographs showing St. Helen's Church in Burnaby Heights.
Creator
Minni, Sheila
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Photo catalogue 495
Less detail

Engineering Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat43
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-2014
Collection/Fonds
Engineering Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1m of textual records, approximately 2000 cartographic and architecural drawings
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created by the Engineering department including environmental service files, physical plant plans, and administrative records.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1912-2014
Collection/Fonds
Engineering Department fonds
Physical Description
1m of textual records, approximately 2000 cartographic and architecural drawings
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created by the Engineering department including environmental service files, physical plant plans, and administrative records.
History/Biography
In 2020, responsibility for environmental management transferred to Climate Action and Energy, with Engineering retaining responsibility for geotechnical investigations and graffiti management. In 2022, Engineering became responsible for a consolidated Transportation group that aligns transportation planning and implementation functions. Green Fleet and Equipment also moved from Climate Action and Energy to the Public Works division of the Engineering Department. In 2022, Facilities Management was transferred from Engineering to the newly-created Lands and Facilities Department. James Lota served as General Manager, Engineering from 2021-2022. Jozsef Dioszeghy has served in the role since April 2022.
Media Type
Textual Record
Cartographic Material
Architectural Drawing
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Fire Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat47
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-2019
Collection/Fonds
Fire Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records, graphic material, and cartographic material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the administrative records of the Burnaby Fire Department and records created and collected during the compilation of the publication "Follow that Fire".
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-2019
Collection/Fonds
Fire Department fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records, graphic material, and cartographic material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the administrative records of the Burnaby Fire Department and records created and collected during the compilation of the publication "Follow that Fire".
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Cartographic Material
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds.
Less detail

Mayor's Office fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat88
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1828 (date of original) -2015
Collection/Fonds
Mayor's Office fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records and photographic material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created by the office of the Mayor during the administrations of Robert W. Prittie (1969-1973), Thomas W. Constable (1973-1979), David M. Mercier (1979-1981), William A. Lewarne (1981-1987), William J. Copeland (1987-1996), John Douglas Drummond (1996-2002) and Derek…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1828 (date of original) -2015
Collection/Fonds
Mayor's Office fonds
Physical Description
1 m of textual records and photographic material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created by the office of the Mayor during the administrations of Robert W. Prittie (1969-1973), Thomas W. Constable (1973-1979), David M. Mercier (1979-1981), William A. Lewarne (1981-1987), William J. Copeland (1987-1996), John Douglas Drummond (1996-2002) and Derek Corrigan (2002-2018).
History/Biography
On September 22, 1892 the Corporation of the District of Burnaby was established by letters patent. An integral component of this incorporation was the creation of the office of the Reeve (later called Mayor). The Reeve was to serve as the Head and Chief Executive Officer of Burnaby and was to lead the City Council in the governing of the Corporation. Burnaby’s first Reeve and Council were elected by acclamation on October 15, 1892, with formal elections held by ballot three months later. From 1893 until 1977 the Reeve and Council were elected for one-year terms, but the practice of annual elections was abandoned in favour of two-year terms in 1977. The current practice of holding elections every three years was begun in 1987. Elections of Reeve and Council were suspended altogether in 1933, however, as a financial crisis in the Corporation resulted in the Province intervening and assuming control of the local government. For ten years, Commissioners were appointed by the Provincial Government to manage the affairs of the Municipality, but by January 1943, the situation had been remedied and local elections were once again held. From 1892 until 1968 the Chief Executive Officer in Burnaby was known as “Reeve” but this nomenclature changed with revisions to the Local Government Act in the latter part of the Twentieth Century. In 1968, the Province altered the Act and abolished the practice of assigning different titles to the members of Council based on Municipal Classification and introduced "Mayor" and "Alderman" as terms applicable in all Municipalities not just those of a certain size or with a certain number of citizens. From that point on, the CEO of Burnaby has been referred to as the Mayor of the City. Despite these changes in election procedures, naming protocols, and the disruption caused by the financial crisis in the 1930s and 1940s, the roles and responsibilities of the Mayor have remained relatively stable throughout the years. As Head and Chief Executive Officer of the City, the Mayor is responsible for ensuring that the principles of law and good government are enforced in Burnaby. This includes the task of overseeing the conduct of officers and employees and directing the management of municipal business and affairs as well as chairing the meetings of Council and appointing Council Committee members. The Mayor is also charged with the duty of representing the City at public functions, in meetings with visiting dignitaries, and in participating in local community and fundraising events. Initially, the Municipal Clerk assisted the Mayor in his work by handling most correspondence and clerical tasks of the office. Today, however, the Mayor’s office retains its own administrative staff who are responsible for facilitating all schedules and arrangements for the Mayor along with coordinating his/her internal and external contacts and events. The following individuals have served as Reeve or Mayor of Burnaby: Charles R. Shaw 1892 Nicolai C. Shou 1893-1903 Charles F. Sprott 1904-1905 Peter Byrne 1906-1910 J. W. Weart 1911-1912 D. C. McGregor 1913 Hugh M. Fraser 1914-1918 T. Sanderson 1919-1920 Alexander K. McLean 1921-1926; 1928-1929 Charles C. Bell 1927 W. L. Burdick 1929 W. A. Pritchard 1930-1932 William Tate Wilson 1943-1944 George A. Morrison 1945-1949 William R. Beamish 1950-1953 Charles W. MacSorely 1954-1957 Alan H. Emmott 1958-1968 Robert W. Prittie 1969-1973 Thomas W. Constable 1973-1979 David M. Mercier 1979-1981 William A. Lewarne 1981-1987 William J. Copeland 1987-1996 Douglas P. Drummond 1996-2002 Derek Corrigan 2002-2018 Mike Hurley 2018-present The following individuals have served as provincially appointed Commissioners for the Corporation of the District of Burnaby: John Bennett 1932-1933 John Mahony 1933-1934 Hugh M. Fraser 1934-1940* R. S. Gilchrist 1941* B. C. Bracewell 1942* *Richard Bolton was Acting Commissioner for most of 1940-1942. He refused to be a full-fledged Commissioner.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat97
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-1990
Collection/Fonds
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Textual records and photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual records and photographs created by the Burnaby Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services Department. Records include files and photographs related to cultural services, administration, and delivery of special events, as well the records of the Parks and Recreation Commissi…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1920-1990
Collection/Fonds
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department fonds
Physical Description
Textual records and photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual records and photographs created by the Burnaby Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services Department. Records include files and photographs related to cultural services, administration, and delivery of special events, as well the records of the Parks and Recreation Commission.
History/Biography
The Parks and Recreation Department changed its name to the Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services Department in 1997. This was done to better reflect the department's mandate to operate a major art centre, heritage facility, and to provide extensive cultural services and support to organizations in addition to parks and recreation services. On January 1, 2023, the City renamed the department to Parks, Recreation and Culture to be consistent with other departments, grammatically correct, and reflective of the department "moving forward" to a better Burnaby. Mary Morrison-Clark has served as General Manager of the department since November 2022.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds.
Less detail

Peers Family and Hill Family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat98
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1880-1980]
Collection/Fonds
Peers Family and Hill Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
ca. 1200 photographs and other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records, primarily photographs, compiled by various members of both the Hill and Peers families that document their lives during the early days of settlement in Burnaby. The fonds includes records of citizenship, wills and other official papers pertaining to the life and activiti…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1880-1980]
Collection/Fonds
Peers Family and Hill Family fonds
Physical Description
ca. 1200 photographs and other material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Accession Number
2007-12
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records, primarily photographs, compiled by various members of both the Hill and Peers families that document their lives during the early days of settlement in Burnaby. The fonds includes records of citizenship, wills and other official papers pertaining to the life and activities of L. Claude Hill; photographs of the Peers family’s Burnaby Lake home, Greyfriars, and pictures taken by Arthur Peers during his work and travels throughout British Columbia in the first part of the 20th century; and photographs of the family of Claude Hill, early Burnaby Lake residents and scenes, and pictures Kitty took as an adult documenting the growth of her own family. Also included in this fonds are a number of photographs showing Yellow Point, Vancouver Island, where the Peers and Hill families often vacationed.
History/Biography
Bob Peers was born William John Peers, the son of real estate broker and early Burnaby resident, Francis John Peers and his wife Elizabeth Frisby. Originally from England, the family moved to Vancouver in 1905 and soon after settled at Burnaby Lake. The family included one daughter (Mary Elizabeth Dora) and four boys (Arthur Francis, William John “Bob”, Geoffrey Hugh, and Richard Dominic). When they arrived in Burnaby, Francis Peers purchased a piece of land from another early settler, Claude Hill, and built the family home “Greyfriars” near Deer Lake. The children attended school in the home of Miss Harriet Woodward, the first school to be held in the Burnaby Lake area. In 1925, Bob married Claude Hill’s daughter and another former pupil of “Miss Harry’s,” Kitty Hill. Kitty (born Katherine Maude Hill) was the only child of Burnaby pioneers L. Claude Hill and Annie Sara Kenrick. Having moved to the Burnaby Lake area in the early 1890s, Claude went on to operate a successful strawberry farm and soon became active in the political development of Burnaby – being elected to the first Burnaby Council and serving from 1892-1894 and again from 1909-1910. The first Hill family home, “Brookfield,” was sold around 1907 and the family moved to their new home, “Broadview,” which was also built in the vicinity of Deer Lake. In 1925, Bob and Kitty were married and they went on to have three children, Robert C.K., Barbara (later Barbara Jeffrey), and Anne (later Anne Latham).
Formats
All photographic records have been scanned and are saved in jpeg format on the City of Burnaby network. Archival master copies have also been produced in tiff format and have been burned to CD for preservation purposes.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
Peers family
Hill family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Planning Department fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat102
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1940-2016
Collection/Fonds
Planning Department fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
80 m of textual records and other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created during the regular conduct of business by the Planning Department and its predecessor agencies according to their mandate of providing professional and technical advice to Council on the current and future uses of City land and resources.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1940-2016
Collection/Fonds
Planning Department fonds
Physical Description
80 m of textual records and other material
Description Level
Fonds
File Class
71000 10 (add. 2020)
71000 20 (add. 2020)
71000 30 (add. 2020)
71000 40 (add. 2020)
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of those records created during the regular conduct of business by the Planning Department and its predecessor agencies according to their mandate of providing professional and technical advice to Council on the current and future uses of City land and resources.
History/Biography
The City of Burnaby Planning Department was established on October 9, 1956 when the City Council unanimously carried the motion to create a distinct department to deal with planning issues within the City and appointed Mr. William John Blakely as its head. This decision followed a report and recommendation made by the City’s Chief Administrative Officer which indicated that the role of the Planning Engineer and his staff had quickly expanded to become a separate division within the Engineering Department and that they were functioning as an independent unit in all but name. The proposed separation of the Engineering and Planning departments had been in the works since the early part of 1956 when staff changes and restructuring within the Engineering Department’s Planning Division illustrated the undermanned condition of the Planning Engineer’s office. As a result, Council asked the Chief Administrative Officer to undertake a study examining the feasibility of creating a distinct Planning Department. This report was delivered to Council on July 3, 1956 but was laid over until a Committee of the Council had the opportunity to study the functions of the Planning department to determine the necessity of the proposal. The Committee’s findings were in line with the initial report and the Planning Department was established with a staff of nine (the head Planning Engineer, an Administrative Planner, three Research Planning Assistants, a Draughtsman, a Subdivision Control Clerk, a department Clerk and a Clerk Stenographer). This new department was to offer advice and carry out the work intensive in matters such as zoning and rezoning applications, subdivision control, traffic and transportation planning, and general City planning schemes. Prior to the creation of the Planning Department, a number of bodies within the City had been responsible for fulfilling the functions carried out by this new unit. In the earliest years of the City, the members of Council were responsible for matters of planning and were assisted in their job by the City’s Engineer or any number of hired consultants (e.g. surveyors, cartographers). By 1906, however, the provincial laws surrounding the subdivision process had changed, and local governments were charged with the task of approving all private subdivision plans in their respective Municipalities. In Burnaby, the City Council passed a bylaw decreeing that all subdivision plans were to be submitted to Council for review and the City Engineer was responsible for ensuring compliance with the law. After the first Town Planning Bylaw in 1924 which restricted the type and size of construction that could occur in certain City areas, the Engineering and Building departments were to work together to oversee the enforcement of the Bylaw and the development of City plans. The scope and competence required to carry out this work grew as Burnaby’s population expanded, and in 1930 Council passed the Town Planning Commission Bylaw (No. 1028) that saw the creation of a permanent body – the Town Planning Commission – which was to serve as an advisory body to help direct the planning activities in the City while the actual work continued to be carried out by the Engineering Department. This body was comprised of the Reeve, the Chairman of the School Board, the Chairman of the Park Committee (later, the Board of Parks Commissioners), and six appointed citizens who served three-year terms. Council referred all matters of subdivisions, transportation planning, and rezoning to this Commission, which was later supported in its work by several other special or standing committees such as the Subdivision Committee, the Apartment Committee, the Transportation Committee or the Town Planning Board of Appeal. By 1953 it became apparent that the advisory committees that were dedicated to these planning issues needed a permanent staff to carry out the work intensive, so a restructuring of the Engineering department resulted in a permanent Planning Engineer’s office being created. The Town Planning Commission continued in its advisory capacity even after the determination came in 1956 to create a separate Planning Department. When Bylaw No. 4473 was passed in 1963, the Town Planning Commission was disbanded in favor of a new Advisory Planning Commission that would turn over all routine matters such as subdivision and rezoning applications to the Planning Department but would offer advice and community input into the more complex planning schemes within the City and act as an intermediary in cases where Council and Planning staff were in disagreement. A new Advisory Planning Commission Bylaw (No. 7600) was adopted in 1980 which allowed for even greater community participation in the planning process. The Planning Department was initially responsible to report directly to Council, but in 1957 the administrative structure of Municipal staff changed with the introduction of the Burnaby Municipal Manager Bylaw (No. 3859) and from that point on the head of the Planning Department held a direct reporting relationship to the Municipal Manager, who in turn was responsible for reporting the activities of the Department to the City Council. Over the years, the internal structure and the scope of responsibilities of the Department have changed during periods of staff reorganizations. Under the larger umbrella of the Planning and Building Department, Planning has come to be comprised of two divisions: Current and Long Range Planning. The functions of the Current Planning Division include rezoning, subdivision, development plan areas, preliminary plan approvals, urban design, heritage planning, and urban trails and bicycle routes. The Long Range Planning Division is responsible for environmental planning concerns, transportation planning, housing, neighborhood area planning, social planning and planning information services. In 2022, the Planning and Building Department was reorganized to better align functions with delivery of services. The Climate Action and Engery Division moved from Corporate Services to the Planning and Building Department, while Indigenous Relations and Facilities Management moved to Corporate Services and Lands and Facilities, respectively. The position of Director of Planning and Building was changed to General Manager, Planning and Development. The following individuals have served as Planning Engineer and/or Director of the Planning Department and/or General Manager, Planning and Development for the City of Burnaby: William John Blakely 1954-1956 (as Planning Engineer) 1956-1963 (as Head of the Department) Anthony P. Parr 1964-1993 Don G. Stenson 1993-2001 Jack S. Belhouse 2001-2006 Basil Luksun 2006-2012 Lou Pelletier 2012-2019 Edward Kozak 2019-present
Formats
Microforms exist for some records. See series descriptions.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Moving Images
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

John Shaw fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat55327
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1917-1980
Collection/Fonds
John Shaw fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
10 cm textual records and approximately 80 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records create and collected by John Shaw regarding his military service, civil service, and his family.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1917-1980
Collection/Fonds
John Shaw fonds
Physical Description
10 cm textual records and approximately 80 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2005-15
2006-01
2007-18
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records create and collected by John Shaw regarding his military service, civil service, and his family.
History/Biography
John "Jack" Horace Shaw was born in New Westminster on November 27, 1917 to Cecil Alfred Shaw and Margaret Grace Shaw (nee Baker). In 1934, at the age of 16, Jack began what would turn out to be an almost 40-year career with the City of Burnaby. Initially employed as an office boy, by 1938, Jack was made a stenographer and Deputy Clerk. His civil service career was interrupted in 1941 when Jack volunteered to join the Royal Canadian Air Force and he served at the rank of Sergeant until he was hounourably released from duty at the end of the war in 1945. While serving in the RCAF, Jack married Lois Eulalia Gilbert and the couple would have three daughters, Judith Annette (Judy), Maureen Daphne (later Maureen Ayers) and Beverley (later Beverley Santo). After resuming his career with Burnaby in 1945, Jack was made Municipal Clerk in 1959, a position he would hold until he retired in 1973. Jack Shaw died on June 14, 1980.
Names
Shaw, John Horace "Jack"
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Creator
Shaw, John Horace "Jack"
Notes
BHS485
Less detail

Doreen Lawson fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat58356
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1950-2002
Collection/Fonds
Doreen Lawson fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
18 cm of textual records + approx. 1000 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and received by Doreen Lawson during her career as Parks Commissioner (1965-1971), Burnaby City Council member (1972-1985, 1990-1999) and environmental advocate following her retirement from Council in 1999. Records include election campaign materials, congratulat…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1950-2002
Collection/Fonds
Doreen Lawson fonds
Physical Description
18 cm of textual records + approx. 1000 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2003-30
2015-15
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created and received by Doreen Lawson during her career as Parks Commissioner (1965-1971), Burnaby City Council member (1972-1985, 1990-1999) and environmental advocate following her retirement from Council in 1999. Records include election campaign materials, congratulatory letters and correspondence, community speeches and slideshow presentations regarding the conservation of Burnaby Lake, the administrative papers of the Burnaby Centennial Rhododendron and Spring Flower Show Society, and photographs of Burnaby waterways and wildlife.
History/Biography
Doreen Anne Fowler Lawson was born July 8, 1928 to Eva Barnhill and Leonard Fowler. Her parents met in Alberta but decided to move to Vancouver where they got married and Doreen was born. The family moved to the north side of Claude Avenue in Burnaby when Doreen was a few months old. In 1931 they moved to a house with an acre of land directly across the street from their first house.
When Doreen was six her family moved to Collingwood, Vancouver, near where her father grew up. This is where her brother Ron was born. The family moved again to County Line in Langley Prairie in 1944 which is where Doreen met Edward Lawson, her future husband. Soon after, they moved to a seven acre plot in Burquitlam. Ed and Doreen Lawson’s eldest daughter Linda was born in 1954. Their second daughter Wendy was born in 1959 and their youngest Lisa was born in 1961. They lived in the Brentwood area, where all three daughters attended Brentwood Elementary School. Linda went on to Alpha Secondary School.
In 1945 Doreen began her first of several office jobs, and in the early 1950s she became the first woman to be elected into a vice-president position within the BC Trade Union Congress (now the BC Federation of Labour).
Doreen Lawson had a long and prolific political career, starting as Parks Commissioner in 1965; serving as its chair from 1969 to 1971. She was instrumental in the selection and promotion of the rhododendron as the official flower of Burnaby in 1966. In 1971 she was elected to Burnaby City Council and in 1972 Doreen proposed that Council take action to declare Burnaby Lake a wildlife sanctuary. After a ten year campaign, she was able to convince Council to declare the park “a nature conservation area.” She put forward a policy of preservation for creeks and streams, as well as a proposal to preserve trees in subdivisions, both of which were adopted by Council. Doreen continued to serve on Council until 1985, during which time she initiated and chaired the Burnaby Information Committee which designed the present Burnaby logo (and official flower pins) and established the “Information Burnaby Newsletter. In 1979 Doreen Lawson won Vancouver Natural History Society’s “Frank Sanford Award”.
In 1984 she was elected the first woman president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. Doreen ran as a BC Liberal Party candidate in the new Federal Riding of Burnaby in 1979 and from 1985 to 1987 she served as the Executive Director of the British Columbia Liberal Party. As the B.C. Liberal Party Executive Director, her major responsibility was to work with both the Federal and Provincial Associations in implementing riding organizations and fundraising programs in preparation for election time. In the 1980s Doreen was an active guest lecturer at Burnaby Elementary and High Schools as well as the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University. Doreen was active in a variety of community clubs and organizations including; the Burnaby Library Board, Greater Vancouver Spinners and Weavers Guild and Vancouver Natural History Society. She was an executive member of the Burnaby-New Westminster Canada Summer Games, the Burnaby Division of the United Way, Information Burnaby Committee and the Brentwood Parent Teachers Association as well as serving as the President of the Burnaby Voter’s Association from 1988-1990.
In 1990 Doreen was elected back to Burnaby Council and put forward the rejuvenation of Burnaby Lake which she saw completed before her final year on Council in 1999. Doreen continued to be a strong environmental advocate for the protection and rejuvenation of Burnaby Lake after she retired from council.
Doreen Lawson died October 11, 2003.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
Lawson, Doreen A.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS071, photo catalogue 605, photo catalogue 618
Less detail

Ernest Winch fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat64651
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1898-1961
Collection/Fonds
Ernest Winch fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 hollinger box of textual records and 31 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs, political leaflets, postcards, publications, correspondence and a scrapbook documenting the political careers of Ernest and Harold Winch.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1898-1961
Collection/Fonds
Ernest Winch fonds
Physical Description
1 hollinger box of textual records and 31 photographs
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2010-06
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs, political leaflets, postcards, publications, correspondence and a scrapbook documenting the political careers of Ernest and Harold Winch.
History/Biography
Ernest Edward (Ernie) Winch was born at Harlow, Essex, England on March 22, 1879. Ernest was one of seven children; Walter, Albert, Alfred, Horace, Ernest, Emma and Caroline (Carrie). In 1898, when he was 19 years old, Ernest immigrated to Canada with his friend Jack Holttum to work on a farm in Saskatchewan. Ernest’s brother Alfred followed soon after and together the Winch brothers worked in British Columbia, then in Australia. Unfortunately the country was at the height of a heavy drought and so Ernest returned to Harlow and followed in his father's footsteps, apprenticing as a bricklayer. In 1905 Ernest Winch met and married Australian born Linda Marian Hendy. While in England they had Harold, born June 18, 1907 and Eileen, born in 1908. Ernest sailed back to Canada alone in 1910, his young family following him months later. He quickly became a member of the Bricklayers and Masons International Union No. 1, Vancouver Branch. Winch began studying socialism in 1910 and joined the Social-Democratic Party of Canada in 1911. The Burnaby local of the Social-Democratic Party nominated Ernest Winch as a candidate for School Trustee in 1914. He received seven votes. In 1915 he and his eldest son Harold left the rest of the family at their home in White Rock and went to Mission to establish a homestead. While living in the Dewdney area, he organized a small Social-Democratic group in Mission and became its Secretary however he did not stay long in Dewdney. In the summer of 1918, Ernest left the Social-Democratic Party to join the Socialist Party. Once back in Burnaby, now thirty-eight years old and looking for a way to support his family, Ernest answered a call for new workers from the Longshoreman’s Union. He joined the ILA Auxiliary and soon was elected its Secretary, and by 1917 was a part of the Vancouver Trades and Labour Council, serving as its President by 1918. In 1919 he joined the B.C. Loggers Union (later the Lumber-Workers Industrial Unit), serving as Secretary. Ernest endorsed both the Vancouver General Strike on 1918 and the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919 and was active in his support of the One Big Union (O.B.U). After two and a half years, Ernest left the ILA and rejoined the Longshoremen’s Union along with his former O.B.U. brother, William A. Pritchard. Soon after a strike broke out and it’s unsuccessful end caused Winch to go back to bricklaying. By this time, the Winches four youngest children were born; Charlie, Grace, Alan and Eric. Ernest re-founded the Socialist Party of Canada (British Columbia) in 1932 and, with it, joined the new Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. In the 1933 provincial election he, his son Harold Winch, and five others became the first CCF Members of Legislative Assembly. As a CCF MLA for Burnaby, Ernest became a resolute advocate for immediate reform, exposing abuses and inadequacies in BC's social welfare and correctional institutions (including Oakalla) and taking a special interest in the problems of the aged. One of his many notable contributions was the creation of the “New Vista Society” first developed to ease the problem of overcrowding in Mental Hospitals at the time. Ernest Winch held his seat in the legislature continuously until his death on January 11, 1957. One of his legacies left to the people of Burnaby are the New Vista Society senior citizens homes. He also founded the New Westminster branch of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (S.P.C.A.). Ernest and Linda’s eldest son Harold Edward, an electrician by trade, married Dorothy Ada Hutchinson on May 11, 1929. At twenty-six years old, he was elected CCF MLA for Vancouver East (in 1933) and became provincial party leader by 1938, serving as leader of the Opposition from 1941 to 1953. When the CCF was defeated in the controversial election of 1953, which saw W.A.C. Bennet come to power, Harold abandoned provincial politics for the House of Commons, where he represented Vancouver East until his retirement in 1972.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
Winch, Ernest "Ernie"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS129, photo catalogue 514
Less detail

Hazel Simnett collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat71379
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1910-1996]
Collection/Fonds
Hazel Simnett collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
13 files of textual records : ill. (some col.) ; 9 paintings : colour print ; 2 photographs : b&w
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of City generated records, personal records and political records collected by Hazel Simnett.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[1910-1996]
Collection/Fonds
Hazel Simnett collection
Physical Description
13 files of textual records : ill. (some col.) ; 9 paintings : colour print ; 2 photographs : b&w
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-22
2012-03
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of City generated records, personal records and political records collected by Hazel Simnett.
History/Biography
Hazel Simnett was born in Burnaby in 1922 to Frederick and Mary Ann Simnett and grew up looking up to her father who was very involved in labour and unions. A politically active citizen, Hazel Simnett has supported the Canadian Commonwealth Federation (CCF) and the New Democratic Party (NDP). She once ran as a New Democratic Party candidate for Burnaby City Council. Hazel Simnett attended Kingsway West Public School and Burnaby South High School in Burnaby. During the 1970s, Hazel Simnett was President of the Century Park Museum Association which governs Burnaby Heritage Museum and published the work "Bygones of Burnaby". Hazel Simnett worked on the campaign team of Joan Sawicki from 1990 to 1991, which led Sawicki to be elected as Burnaby-Willingdon riding's MLA. Hazel Simnett volunteered her time to be a member of the Burnaby Advisory Planning Commission from 1993 to 1996. In 2006, Hazel Simnett won the Burnaby Local Hero Award for her volunteer work at the New Vista Society where she served as chair for a number of years. She also served as a member of the Burnaby Historical Society and established the Hazel Simnett Endowment with the Burnaby Public Library to bring a collection of books on Canadian history and social issues.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Graphic Material
Creator
Simnett, Hazel
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS167
Less detail

LaFavor Family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivemultipleformat72548
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[191-]; 1953-1955
Collection/Fonds
LaFavor Family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Textual records (newsprint) and 59 photographs : sepia postcards ; 8 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of fifty-nine photographic postcards (some are duplications) depicting the village of Barnet in Burnaby along with newspaper clippings pertaining to Barnet Village from the 1950s.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
[191-]; 1953-1955
Collection/Fonds
LaFavor Family fonds
Physical Description
Textual records (newsprint) and 59 photographs : sepia postcards ; 8 x 13 cm
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2007-03
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of fifty-nine photographic postcards (some are duplications) depicting the village of Barnet in Burnaby along with newspaper clippings pertaining to Barnet Village from the 1950s.
History/Biography
Orville Glen LaFavor was born in Willow City, North Dakota on May 31, 1903 to Harvey M. LaFavor. On April 20, 1924, Orville married Cathryn Arlou "Kate" Lewis. In that same year, Orville and Kate moved to Barnet Village to join Harvey and his wife. Orville and Kate had five children who were all born in Barnet: Lewis in September 1925, Irene in December 1927, Clyde Martin in July 1930, Florence Alice in March 1933 and Cathryn Bernice on April 24, 1934. Orville worked as a trimmer for the Barnet Lumber Company. He and his family lived at "Number 10" on the Barnet property. In 1924 he began working at the mills and retired in 1960. During the war, he made blackout blinds and worked as a warden or home guard in Vancouver. Kate LaFavor stayed at home to look after the five children. All of the children went to Barnet School until grade five, when they had to bus up to Capitol Hill in North Burnaby. Once evictions began in Barnet in 1953, Orville bought the house from the municipality and moved it to Port Coquitlam. Orville's brother, Vern Victor LaFavor, married Irene Winnifred "Winnie" Warner on August 6, 1928. Clyde and Lou LaFavor also worked in the mill. Fred Marshall and his brother Roy Marshall lived and worked at the mill and were uncles to the LaFavor children. Harvey LaFavor, the grandfather of the children, worked as a millwright and had a section in the village for gardening, which he tended to regularly. He had horses that worked with him at the mill and later on the construction of Barnet Road, allowing him to make money during the Depression. During a strike for higher wages at the Barnet Sawmill, Harvey was badly beaten. Murray Glen "Bud" LaFavor was born on December 13, 1944 in New Westminster. He had four sisters: Irene, Catherine, Carol and Rene. He worked as a volunteer fireman for 25 years and was employed by the District of 100 Mile House. He died in 2009. Lewis LaFavor, son of Orville and Kate, joined the navy and survied World War II. Catherine Bernice (LaFavor) Nelson, daughter of Orville and Kate, died July 7, 2011 in Nelson, British Columbia.
Media Type
Textual Record
Photograph
Creator
LaFavor family
Notes
Photo catalogue 540, MSS166
Less detail

145 records – page 1 of 8.