156 records – page 1 of 8.

Disappearing Burnaby collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription98597
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2021-2022
Collection/Fonds
Disappearing Burnaby collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
33 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and col.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs taken by Nakita Cheung for her "Disappearing Burnaby" project, in which she photographs buildings and structures that she finds aesthetically and historically interesting before they are lost to time and/or development in the changing urban landscape of Burnaby. F…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2021-2022
Collection/Fonds
Disappearing Burnaby collection
Physical Description
33 photographs (jpeg) : b&w and col.
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Accession Number
2022-14
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs taken by Nakita Cheung for her "Disappearing Burnaby" project, in which she photographs buildings and structures that she finds aesthetically and historically interesting before they are lost to time and/or development in the changing urban landscape of Burnaby. For this collection, Cheung selected 33 photographs that she felt represented Burnaby in a time of transition. These photographs document single-family homes, low-rise apartment buildings, commercial buildings, signage, and street scenes, often at night and in the rain.
History
Nakita Cheung is an amateur photographer located in Burnaby, B.C., near Metrotown. She was born on July 3, 1994, and grew up in Burnaby. In her "Disappearing Burnaby" project, which is also published on her blog "Disappearing Burnaby" (https://disappearingburnaby.wordpress.com), Cheung is creating a "photo journal of Burnaby’s disappearing low-rise apartments, bungalows, and buildings."
Media Type
Photograph
Creator
Cheung, Nakita
Less detail

Burnaby Photographic Society fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription95081
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2020
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Photographic Society fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
50 photographs (tiff)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken by Burnaby Photographic Society members to document the city of Burnaby during the coronavirus pandemic in 2020. The Society's theme for its 50th anniversary was COVID-19.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2020
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Photographic Society fonds
Physical Description
50 photographs (tiff)
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Accession Number
2020-10
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken by Burnaby Photographic Society members to document the city of Burnaby during the coronavirus pandemic in 2020. The Society's theme for its 50th anniversary was COVID-19.
History
The Burnaby Photographic Society was established in 1970. The Society comprises photography hobbyists, enthusiasts, and professionals who meet weekly at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts. Members participate in local and national competitions, conduct field outings, and host events including image critique evenings and an annual "Showcase" fundraiser and celebration of photography.
Media Type
Photograph
Creator
Burnaby Photographic Society
Notes
PC623
Less detail

Burnaby Village Museum COVID-19 collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription14728
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
2020
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum COVID-19 collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
49 photographs (jpgs) + 4 photographs (tiffs) + 1 drawing : wax crayon on pink construction paper + 26 videos (digital)
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs, digital poetry and a child's drawing created by citizens living in Burnaby during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as photographs and short film clips created by the City of Burnaby's Marketing Department. The collection documents experiences while living through th…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum COVID-19 collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
49 photographs (jpgs) + 4 photographs (tiffs) + 1 drawing : wax crayon on pink construction paper + 26 videos (digital)
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs, digital poetry and a child's drawing created by citizens living in Burnaby during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as photographs and short film clips created by the City of Burnaby's Marketing Department. The collection documents experiences while living through the COVID-19 pandemic, how it has effected the City of Burnaby and it's citizens and how they've adapted.
History
The COVID-19 pandemic, also known as the "Coronavirus" is a world wide pandemic caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The coronavirus was first identified in December 2019 in Wuhan, China and in January 2020, The World Health Organization declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern and by March 2020 it was declared a world wide pandemic. As of December 2020, more than 68 million cases have been confirmed and more than 1.56 million deaths have been attributed to COVID-19. In the spring of 2020, many provinces and territories within Canada declared a state of emergency or public health emergency. British Columbia declared a public health emergency on March 17 and a provincial state of emergency the next day, March 18. This state of emergency gives the provincial health authority the power to limit the sizes of gatherings and put restrictions on how businesses operate. The state of emergency order, which must be renewed every fourteen days, allows the province to implement any provincial emergency measures required such as securing the supply chain and prohibiting re-selling of essentials. During the pandemic British Columbia's provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry provided wise words to the public and coined the phrase "This is our time to be kind, be calm and be safe". Beginning in May 2020, Burnaby Village Museum put a call out to the community asking for their assistance in documenting and collecting experiences, stories and mementos regarding the COVID-19 pandemic in Burnaby. Burnaby Village Museum put the word out through social media, their enewsletter, website, and word of mouth. The public was invited to share how COVID-19 was affecting them through physical objects, photographs, videos, recordings, letters, diaries and more. The City of Burnaby's Marketing Department also produced communications about the pandemic and changes throughout the City that residents need to be aware of. The goal of this collection is to document the effects that the pandemic has had on our community and our everyday lives and in turn preserve and make it accessible for future generations. Burnaby Village Museum continues to collect any items documenting everyday experiences related to this pandemic.
Creator
Burnaby Village Museum
Subjects
Pandemics - COVID-19
Accession Code
BV020.18; BV020.19; BV020.20; BV020.21; BV020.23; BV020.24; BV020.26; BV020.30; BV021.2
Date
2020
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Moving Images
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
Multiple accessions form part of this fonds: BV020.18; BV020.19; BV020.20; BV020.21; BV020.23; BV020.24; BV020.26; BV020.30; BV021.2
Further accruals are expected
Less detail

100 Years of Gilmore School video collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription10596
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
2017
Collection/Fonds
100 Years of Gilmore School video collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
6 video recordings (mp4) (approx. 42 min.) : digital, 24 fps and 29 fps, col., sd., stereo
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of film content relating to the history of Gilmore Avenue School (Gilmore Community School) upon the recognition of it's 100th anniversary and includes a documentary film created by Yunuen Perez Vertti titled: "100 Years of Gilmore School" along with five short anecdotal films from s…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
100 Years of Gilmore School video collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
6 video recordings (mp4) (approx. 42 min.) : digital, 24 fps and 29 fps, col., sd., stereo
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of film content relating to the history of Gilmore Avenue School (Gilmore Community School) upon the recognition of it's 100th anniversary and includes a documentary film created by Yunuen Perez Vertti titled: "100 Years of Gilmore School" along with five short anecdotal films from students past and present.
History
In 2016, the Heights Neighbourhood Association decided to recognize the 100th anniversary of Gilmore Avenue School. The Association partnered with filmmaker and producer, Yunuen Perez Vertti to create a film featuring historic photographs and interviews with students from decades past. The premier screening of the film was held at Gilmore Community School on Friday May 13, 2016. The film was later screened at Burnaby's McGill Public Library on January 17, 2017 where community members were invited to share their own memories of the school in front of the audience. Some of these memories were captured on film by Yunuen Perez Vertti and donated with permissions to Burnaby Village Museum.
Accession Code
BV018.13
BV017.48
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
2017
Media Type
Moving Images
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

S. Dale Standen fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription88376
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2014
Collection/Fonds
S. Dale Standen fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 book (+ 1 duplicate)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one book, titled "Standens and McQueens: A Canadian Story of Migrant Families" written and published by S. Dale Standen.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
2014
Collection/Fonds
S. Dale Standen fonds
Physical Description
1 book (+ 1 duplicate)
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Accession Number
2014-30
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of one book, titled "Standens and McQueens: A Canadian Story of Migrant Families" written and published by S. Dale Standen.
History
Sydney Drysdale (Dale) Standen was born in Regina, Saskatchewan, in 1942. That same year, his parents, Sydney (Sid) and Effie Standen (nee McQueen) moved his family west to Burnaby, following the McQueen family who moved here in 1941. Dale grew up with his family in South Burnaby from 1942 to 1963, first living on Miller Avenue and later at 3842 Imperial Street. His youngest brother Eric was born in Vancouver in 1947 and his two elder brothers Neil (born in 1939) and Phil (born in 1932) were born in Saskatchewan. His brother Phil died tragically during an RCAF training exercise in 1955 and was buried at Ocean View cemetery in Burnaby. Dale's parents were devoted to church work in West Burnaby United Church (formerly Jubilee Henderson Presbyterian Church) on Sussex Avenue. Dale's father, Sid, taught at Nelson Avenue School in 1949 and from 1950 at Burnaby South High School. After 1962, he taught at North Burnaby High School and then Burnaby Central High School as head of their math departments. He supplemented his teacher's income by marking Departmental exams in Victoria. He enjoyed coaching high school sports and was largely responsible for organizing high school boys curling in Greater Vancouver. Sid Standen retired from teaching in 1971. Dale graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of British Columbia in 1963, a Masters of Arts degree from University of Oregon in 1965, and a PhD from University of Toronto in 1975. He was employed as an instructor at Vancouver City College from 1965 to 1967, a Professor at Trent University from 1971 to 2006, and Professor Emeritus of History from 2006 to present. At Trent, he served terms as Chair of the Department of History and Principal of Lady Eaton College. From 1986 to 1987, he was seconded to the History Division of the Canadian Museum of Civilization as Principal Historian, New France Section, and participated in the development of the Canada Hall exhibits. His research interests include the history of New France, particularly the fur trade and French Aboriginal relations, and applied/public history, especially museums. His interests have involved him in serving on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Canoe Museum and assisting the Design Team in the development of the Museum's millennium exhibits which were completed in 2001. He served a term as President of the French Colonial History Society, and is a past member of the Board of the Champlain Society. Dale's mother, Effie, died in Burnaby in 1965. His father, Sydney, remarried in 1967 to Gladys Marshall and they continued to live in the Standen home on Imperial Street until 1972. Dale inherited his family records and photographs following the death of his father in 1975 and, with some help from his brothers and other relatives, wrote a history of his parents’ families. Original family photos and records are held in the Trent University Archives.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Standen, Sydney Drysdale "Dale"
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds.
MSS189
Original records are held with the Trent University Archives: the Standen-McQueen Family fonds 14-014; and the William Standen fonds 87-006.
Less detail

Pipe family fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription84921
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1997
Collection/Fonds
Pipe family fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 cm. of textual records.
Scope and Content
Fonds is comprised of one item, a soft cover book titled "Pipe Parbury Deane / Extended Family History," written by Olive Muriel Pipe Balabanov.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1997
Collection/Fonds
Pipe family fonds
Physical Description
1 cm. of textual records.
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2014-07
Scope and Content
Fonds is comprised of one item, a soft cover book titled "Pipe Parbury Deane / Extended Family History," written by Olive Muriel Pipe Balabanov.
History
John (Jack) Pipe was born in Ontario in 1875 and moved to Burnaby with his wife Blanche in 1916. Prior to moving to Burnaby, Jack worked as a superintendent in the Phoenix and Granby Bay mines. While working in Phonenix, he met and married Blanche Perry in 1909. Jack and Blanche had eight children: Frederick Stewart; Dorothy Mary; George Russell; John Douglas; Kathleen Margaret; Harold Calvin; Olive Muriel; and David Melvin. Due to poor health, Jack retired from mining work in 1916 and moved his family to Burnaby. The family purchased property at 5250 Government Road where they built their home and raised their family. In 1938, John and Blanche sold this property and purchased another piece of property located within DL 44. Jack died of silicosis in 1953.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Pipe family
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS179
Less detail

Burnaby NewsLeader photograph collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription71324
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1995-2005
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby NewsLeader photograph collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
ca. 4300 photographs : b&w and col.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs depicting local events, sports, and people in Burnaby and the Lower Mainland that were taken for or collected by the Burnaby NewsLeader newspaper.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1995-2005
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby NewsLeader photograph collection
Physical Description
ca. 4300 photographs : b&w and col.
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Accession Number
2012-11
2018-12
Scope and Content
Collection consists of photographs depicting local events, sports, and people in Burnaby and the Lower Mainland that were taken for or collected by the Burnaby NewsLeader newspaper.
History
The Burnaby NewsLeader was established in 1989 and published on Wednesday and Friday. It was awarded Newspaper of the Year by Suburban Newspapers of America in 2009. Burnaby NewsLeader ceased publications in 2015.
Media Type
Photograph
Creator
Burnaby NewsLeader
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
Photo catalogue 535
Less detail

Community Heritage Commission Special Project fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription74546
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1994-2012
Collection/Fonds
Community Heritage Commission Special Projects fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Photographs and other material
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of project records created by Burnaby's Community Heritage Commission as part of their initiative and mandate.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1994-2012
Collection/Fonds
Community Heritage Commission Special Projects fonds
Physical Description
Photographs and other material
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Open access
Accession Number
2012-07
2009-10
2012-30
2016-04
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of project records created by Burnaby's Community Heritage Commission as part of their initiative and mandate.
History
The History and Heritage Committee was established in 1992 under Burnaby's Centennial Committee. When the Centennial Committee was disbanded on December 31, 1992, the History and Heritage Committee was made a part of the Burnaby Heritage Advisory Committee. It proceeded under its authority until 1995 when it was renamed The Community Heritage Commission (CHC) as a municipal heritage advisory committee by the Burnaby City Council under section 15 of the Heritage Conservation Act. The commission endeavours to provide comprehensive community heritage and history projects and programs to bring together the personal history of citizens and facilitate a wider understanding and appreciation of Burnaby's collective memory. Projects undertaken by Burnaby's Community Heritage Commission include: Burnaby Centennial Anthology: Stories of Early Burnaby; In the Shadow by the Sea: Recollections of Burnaby's Barnet Village; the Heritage Burnaby website (www.heritageburnaby.ca); Charting Change: An Interactive Atlas; and various oral history projects. These projects fall under the Community Heritage Commission's mandate to provide the citizens of Burnaby and the wider public with access to information about the city and its unique history through publications and online finding aids.
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Sound Recording
Creator
Community Heritage Commission
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
PC 615, PC 503, MSS198, MSS171, MSS196, and PC 549
Less detail

Burnaby Mountain Preservation Society fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription97763
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1993-2001
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Mountain Preservation Society fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
0.5 cm of textual records + 129 photographs : col. slide ; 35 mm + 2 med col. prints.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs, textual records, and slides taken by the Burnaby Mountain Preservation Society to campaign for a park dedication on Burnaby Mountain.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1993-2001
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Mountain Preservation Society fonds
Physical Description
0.5 cm of textual records + 129 photographs : col. slide ; 35 mm + 2 med col. prints.
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Accession Number
2006-13
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs, textual records, and slides taken by the Burnaby Mountain Preservation Society to campaign for a park dedication on Burnaby Mountain.
History
The Burnaby Mountain Preservation Society (BMPS) was active between 1988 and 1995. It was formed in order to preserve the ecology and nature of Burnaby Mountain. In 1996, the City of Burnaby dedicated Burnaby Mountain Park in Bylaw 10477. The Directors of the BMPS were Dean Lamont, Stephen "Steve" Mancinelli, Diane Hansen, and Karen Marke.
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Creator
Burnaby Mountain Preservation Society
Less detail

St. Helen's Parish fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription77922
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1992-2012
Collection/Fonds
St. Helen's Parish fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1.5 cm. of textual records + 1 medallion
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of posters, cards, anniversary programs, a pictorial photo directory, a calendar, a book and a medallion related to St. Helen's Parish. Items in this fonds depict its Centennial Celebrations.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1992-2012
Collection/Fonds
St. Helen's Parish fonds
Physical Description
1.5 cm. of textual records + 1 medallion
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2013-10
2013-11
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of posters, cards, anniversary programs, a pictorial photo directory, a calendar, a book and a medallion related to St. Helen's Parish. Items in this fonds depict its Centennial Celebrations.
History
In the first years of the 20th century, the hill overlooking the city of Vancouver was barely developed. This area, known as Vancouver Heights, commands a magnificent view of the city, the north shore mountains, and the sea. During the first decade, there was just a handful of people willing to brave the inconvenience of living in a remote area to dwell in such splendour. Among them were 10 Catholic families. They dreamt about establishing a Catholic community, a church, and perhaps even a school of their own. They knew it would take hard work and sacrifice to realize their dream. In 1912, the Second Narrows Bridge and several industrial plants were built in this area. Archbishop Neil McNeil, recognizing the potential for greater development, requested aid from Toronto's Catholic Extension Society, to help purchase property at the corner of Pandora and Ingleton to build a small church and home for the priest. The $6000 construction expense was donated by Mr. Justice Kelly, who requested that the church be named Saint Helen in memory of his daughter, Helen. On August 11, 1912, Saint Helen's church was blessed. 12 years later, in 1923, a second dream was realized with the construction of Saint Helen's School. The Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul would staff the school for over 50 years, dedicating their lives to the education of thousands of children. 1936 began an era of unprecedented growth under the leadership of Msgr. Daniel Carey. In 1948, despite post-war hardships, he was able to inspire his community to build a new school. He then turned his attention to the over-crowded church and, in 1956, to the delight of the parishioners, the new Saint Helen's Church was blessed. By 1973, the demographics of Saint Helen's Parish had experienced a dramatic change. From the Anglo-Irish parishioners of the early years, Saint Helen's was experiencing a huge increase in parishioners of Italian descent. Archbishop James Carney, realizing the need to better serve these immigrants, asked the Scalabrinian Congregation to take the parish under its care. The second era of physical growth and development in the parish would come under the direction of these missionary priests. The 1970s, with Father Joseph Ponti as pastor, would see the construction of a new rectory, a state-of-the-art hall/gymnasium, and a fully renovated school. Father Joe's dream was the construction of a church, with this in mind, he began to purchase the necessary land. Succeeding pastors Father Angelo Calandra and Father Peter Sordi continued to work towards this dream, accumulating land and initiating the process. Father Claudio Holzer, upon assuming the responsibilities of pastor, took a firm hold of the dreams of his predecessors and shaped them into the reality of the new Saint Helen's Church. From the beginning, St. Helen's Parish has been an active community participant in this area of Burnaby and continues to enjoy this participation not only here but in Metro Vancouver as well. On August 11, 2012, St. Helen's Catholic Church and Parish celebrated its 100th anniversary. -Information contributed by M. Tesan has been combined with information from the official website of the church.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
St. Helen's Catholic Church
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
MSS174
Less detail

Burnaby Village Museum Oral History collection

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription18758
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1992-2002
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Oral History collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 audiocassettes
Scope and Content
Collection consists of oral history interviews of Burnaby residents. The collection is composed of discrete items or small sets that do not form a fonds or collection.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Oral History collection
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 audiocassettes
Scope and Content
Collection consists of oral history interviews of Burnaby residents. The collection is composed of discrete items or small sets that do not form a fonds or collection.
Accession Code
BV005.37
BV018.17
Date
1992-2002
Media Type
Sound Recording
Notes
Title based on contents of collection
Further accruals are expected
Less detail

Burnaby Outdoor Club fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription71572
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1991-2020
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Outdoor Club fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1 folder textual records + 3 optical discs : CD-ROM
Scope and Content
Fonds comprises the Burnaby Outdoor Club's monthly newsletter "Footnotes". The newsletter, started in June 1991, details the events and activities undertaken by the Club and includes information on membership and club development. The fonds includes June 1991 to January 2009 newsletters on paper an…
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1991-2020
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Outdoor Club fonds
Physical Description
1 folder textual records + 3 optical discs : CD-ROM
Description Level
Fonds
Record No.
MSS162
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Accession Number
2012-12
2016-13
2018-24
2020-17
Scope and Content
Fonds comprises the Burnaby Outdoor Club's monthly newsletter "Footnotes". The newsletter, started in June 1991, details the events and activities undertaken by the Club and includes information on membership and club development. The fonds includes June 1991 to January 2009 newsletters on paper and January 2009 to December 2020 in digital form.
History
The Burnaby Outdoor Club was formed in 1991 for the purpose of promoting the care and enjoyment of the outdoor environment through hiking, cycling, and skiing, supplemented by a variety of other sports and activities. The Club holds numerous sport and social events throughout the year and the monthly newsletter provides an overview of these events.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
Burnaby Outdoor Club
Less detail

Burnaby Village Museum fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription13037
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1990-2019
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Over 3000 photographs + approx. 100 architectural drawings + technical drawings + 25 videocassettes + 43 video recordings (mp4) + 2 video recordings (m4v) + 56 sound recordings (mp3) + 5 audio cassettes + approx. 2 m. of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a selection of curatorial records created and collected by the Burnaby Village Museum in the course of their work. Records pertain to the village site, exhibits, programs, curatorial projects, outreach and special events. Fonds is arranged in the following series: 1) Museum photo…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
Over 3000 photographs + approx. 100 architectural drawings + technical drawings + 25 videocassettes + 43 video recordings (mp4) + 2 video recordings (m4v) + 56 sound recordings (mp3) + 5 audio cassettes + approx. 2 m. of textual records
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a selection of curatorial records created and collected by the Burnaby Village Museum in the course of their work. Records pertain to the village site, exhibits, programs, curatorial projects, outreach and special events. Fonds is arranged in the following series: 1) Museum photographs series 2) Museum film collection series 3) Museum architectural records series 4) Museum Marketing photographs series 5) Museum exhibits series 6) Museum reports series 7) Curatorial Collections adminstrative records series 8) Museum Oral Histories series 9) Jesse Love farmhouse series 10) Bell's Dry Goods series 11) Burnaby Neighbourhood Speaker Series series 12) C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel series 13) Royal Bank exhibit series 14) UBC Partnership series 15) Burnaby Community Heritage Commission 125 Video Collection series
History
Burnaby Village Museum is an open air museum that represents a typical tram-stop community. Museum interpreters welcome visitors, provide demonstrations and on site programming. The museum’s collection consists of thousands of artifacts, community records as well as several original Burnaby heritage buildings, a 1912 carousel, 1912 B.C. Electric Railway interurban tram, a Chinese Market Garden and Indigenous Learning House and Matriarch's Garden. In 1990, the Corporation of the District of Burnaby assumed the operation and management of Burnaby Village Museum from the Burnaby Village Museum Association. Burnaby Village Museum (formerly named Heritage Village) was originally created by the Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee in 1971 as a commemorative project for British Columbia's Centennial. A concept for an open-air museum was developed near Deer Lake on Districts Lots 79/ 85. The official sod turning for Heritage Village took place on the site on April 11, 1971. In the spring of 1971, a museum director and curator were hired to oversee the development of the project and the acquisition of artifacts with funding from the Parks and Recreation Commission. The Century Park Museum Association (later named Burnaby Village Museum Association) was formed on October 26, 1971 as a governing body for Heritage Village Museum. The museum opened on November 19, 1971 with Mayor Bob Pritte and Canada's Governor General Roland Michener. IN July 1972, the museum opened for it's first public season. The Village was described as depictive of the 1890 to 1920 era of the lower mainland. Since 1990, the site expanded from it’s original four acre size to it's current ten acres. In the 1990s and early 2000s staff and volunteers created exhibits and programs about Burnaby with an emphasis on the 1920s. Since it's 40th anniversary in 2011, the museum has implemented changes to make the museum more interactive and inclusive in telling the story of Burnaby's history.
Creator
Burnaby Village Museum
Accession Code
X2294
X5124
X5125
BV013.19
BV017.39
BV017.45
BV018.6
BV018.12
BV018.14
BV018.18
BV018.41
BV019.2
BV019.13
BV019.15
BV019.18
BV019.19
BV019.36
Bv019.39
BV019.52
BV019.61
BV020.4
BV020.5
BV020.12
BV020.28
BV020.29
BV021.5
BV021.7
BV021.14
BV021.17
BV021.31
BV022.1
BV022.2
BV022.27
Date
1990-2019
Media Type
Architectural Drawing
Moving Images
Photograph
Sound Recording
Technical Drawing
Textual Record
Arrangement
The following series have been arranged into subseries: Exhibits series; Oral History series; Jesse Love farmhouse series; Bell's Dry Goods exhibits series; Burnaby Neighbourhood Speaker Series series; C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel series; Royal Bank exhibits series; UBC Partnership series
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Further accruals expected
For other records pertaining to the history of Burnaby Village Museum see: Don Copan collection; Burnaby Centennial '71 Committee collection; Century Park Museum Association fonds; Don Wrigley fonds
See Artifacts descriptions for Publications and Newsletters produced by Burnaby Village Museum and Century Park Museum Association
Less detail

Gilmore Community Association fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription97461
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1989
Collection/Fonds
Gilmore Community Association fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
0.5 cm of textual records.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence and meeting minutes pertaining to the Gilmore Community Association.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1989
Collection/Fonds
Gilmore Community Association fonds
Physical Description
0.5 cm of textual records.
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2011-04
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence and meeting minutes pertaining to the Gilmore Community Association.
Media Type
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of file
Less detail

Faye Diamond fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription1663
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1989-1993
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1136 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of photographs taken by Faye Stebner Diamond documenting the restoration and installation of the C.W. Parker Carousel no. 119 carousel, undertaken by the Lower Mainland Association of the Friends of the Vancouver Carousel "Friends of the Carousel". Detailed photograph…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
1136 photographs
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a collection of photographs taken by Faye Stebner Diamond documenting the restoration and installation of the C.W. Parker Carousel no. 119 carousel, undertaken by the Lower Mainland Association of the Friends of the Vancouver Carousel "Friends of the Carousel". Detailed photographs document the restoration process from start to finish and the installation of the carousel inside the Don Wrigley Pavillion at Burnaby Village Museum. Some of the photographs may have been taken by Ken Diamond.
History
Faye (Stebner) Diamond was born in Burnaby to parents, Ethel Coe (Uter) Stebner and Edward A. "Ed" Stebner. Faye (Stebner) Diamond and her husband Ken Diamond were both involved in the restoration of the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel from start to finish. Faye Diamond, was one of the very active volunteers of the Friends of the Carousel during the restoration, and served on the committee that chose paint colours for the horses. Her father, Ed Stebner, was also a volunteer. Faye and her mother Ethel, along with Ken Diamond, were responsible for the restoration of the carousel horse Mignonette, named after Mignon Uter (nee Coe), Faye's maternal grandmother who came to Burnaby in 1918 with her parents, James and Elizabeth Coe. The Stebner family also sponsored the carousel horse Mr. Ed, in recognition of Faye's father. Faye Diamond photographed and documented much of the restoration process. The Parker Carousel was restored by a number of avid volunteers from The Lower Mainland Association of the Friends of the Vancouver Carousel (Friends of the Carousel), which was created in 1989 to raise funds to rescue the Parker Carousel no. 119 from Playland at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). In May 1989, Burnaby Village Museum agreed to provide a home for the carousel and "Friends of the Carousel" set about raising the $350,000 to purchase the machine. The carousel opened inside the Don Wrigley Pavilion at the Burnaby Village Museum in March 1993.
Creator
Diamond, Faye Stebner
Names
Lower Mainland Association of the Friends of the Vancouver Carousel
Accession Code
BV003.44
BV012.1
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
1989-1993
Media Type
Photograph
Arrangement
Arrangement of photograph collection were matched to Faye Diamond's original order which grouped together photographs of each horse and the installation process. Some of the photographs were arranged chronologically by the Burnaby Village Museum Curator.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Col. copy negatives accompanying photographs
Less detail

Keith Jamieson fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription4554
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1989-1993
Collection/Fonds
Keith Jamieson fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 scrapbook albums (245 photographs + textual records + ephemera)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of three scrapbooks providing a detailed account of the fundraising, restoration and installation of the Parker Carousel no. 119 which was rescued from the PNE and re-installed at the Burnaby Village Museum. Scrapbooks were created by Keith and Pat Jamieson and contain photographs, n…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Keith Jamieson fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3 scrapbook albums (245 photographs + textual records + ephemera)
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of three scrapbooks providing a detailed account of the fundraising, restoration and installation of the Parker Carousel no. 119 which was rescued from the PNE and re-installed at the Burnaby Village Museum. Scrapbooks were created by Keith and Pat Jamieson and contain photographs, newspaper clippings, publicity and correspondence documenting this historical event and are described at item level.
History
Keith Jamieson was one of the founding members of the Lower Mainland Association of the Friends of the Vancouver Carousel. The Association was created in 1989 to raise funds to rescue the C.W. Parker Carousel no. 119 from Playland at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). As a collector and restorer of vintage carousel horses, Keith and his wife Pat took a keen interest in saving this carousel. In May 1989, Burnaby Village Museum agreed to provide a home for the carousel and Friends of the Carousel set about raising the $350,000 to purchase the machine which opened at the Museum in 1993. Jamieson a carousel expert, worked on restoring the Expo ’86 carousel and agreed to oversee the restoration of the Parker Carousel when it was moved to Burnaby.
Creator
Jamieson, Keith
Accession Code
BV015.41
Date
1989-1993
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Arrangement
Scrapbooks were arranged by Keith and Pat Jamieson before donation.
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd. fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription93711
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1987-1998
Collection/Fonds
Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd. fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
3847 photographs (92 col. prints, 10 cm x 15 cm ; 3754 col. negatives, 35 mm) + 4 computer disks (14 x 14 cm).
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of street-level photographs of commercial, industrial, residential, and undeveloped properties in Burnaby, B.C. These photographs originally formed part of the Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd's real estate appraisal records.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1987-1998
Collection/Fonds
Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd. fonds
Physical Description
3847 photographs (92 col. prints, 10 cm x 15 cm ; 3754 col. negatives, 35 mm) + 4 computer disks (14 x 14 cm).
Description Level
Fonds
Access Restriction
Open access
Accession Number
2017-39
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of street-level photographs of commercial, industrial, residential, and undeveloped properties in Burnaby, B.C. These photographs originally formed part of the Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd's real estate appraisal records.
History
Grover, Elliott, & Co. Ltd (Grover Elliot) is a real estate appraisal, valuation, and consulting firm that opened on January 2, 1974. It was founded by three real estate appraisers who took over an existing appraisal office. The firm provides real estate appraisals for all property types throughout British Columbia, including land, residential, industrial, and commercial properties. Grover Elliot was first located at 5685 Cambie Street in Vancouver, B.C. In June 1985, the firm moved its offices to the Burrard Building in downtown Vancouver on West Georgia St. in order to provide a base closer to the Land Title Office where employees regularly conducted research. In May 2016, it moved to 609 West Hastings Street in Vancouver, B.C. In February 2018, following the retirement of owner and President Larry Dybvig, the firm was purchased by three Grover Elliott appraisers: Angus Heaps, Brent McLaren, and Michael Oord. Dybvig served as President of the firm from 2001 to 2018. The company provides appraisals for all types of real estate including land, multifamily residential, industrial properties, and commercial properties.
Media Type
Photograph
Creator
Grover, Elliott & Co. Ltd.
Notes
Photo catalogue 622
Less detail

Dr. Sadhu Binning fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription19279
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1984]
Collection/Fonds
Dr. Sadhu Binning fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photographs : col.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of two photographs of actors from Vancouver Sath performing in the play "Maluka" at Sexsmith Elementary School.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Dr. Sadhu Binning fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
2 photographs : col.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of two photographs of actors from Vancouver Sath performing in the play "Maluka" at Sexsmith Elementary School.
History
Dr. Sadhu Binning was born on May 10, 1947 to mother Gurmej Kaur and father Jeet Singh Binning. Due to lack of proper records management in India at the time of his birth, it is believed that he was actually born sometime in December of 1947. He grew up alongside two brothers and one sister in a village located in Kapurthala, Punjab. Dr. Binning attended secondary school in the nearby city of Phagwara, Punjab although he did not complete his education here. Throughout his childhood, he enjoyed reading both Punjabi and Hindi novels and learned how to read Urdu as well. Dr. Binning’s uncle, Dhana Singh immigrated to Canada in 1933 and returned to India in 1953. When Dhana Singh returned to Canada in 1957, he sponsored Dr. Binning’s father, Jeet Singh Binning to immigrate. Dhana Singh co-owned a few saw mills in British Columbia and also worked in the truck driving industry. Dr. Binning remembers that some people who had lived in Canada would visit their village and that they appeared to be strong and healthy and looked happy. He also noticed that they would eat meat, so whenever they would visit there would be meat available. In 1967, when he was nineteen and a half years old, Dr. Binning immigrated Canada to join his father. He recalls his father and uncle and a friend arriving at the airport to pick him up. During his first few days, Dr. Binning made the decision to remove his turban and beard upon receiving advice from his uncle. Dr. Binning first obtained work on a farm in Abbotsford, working alongside his mother. While working, Dr. Binning also attended English classes in Vancouver. Dr. Binning’s Uncle Dhana Singh worked in a Vancouver saw mill and tried to help find work for his nephew but was unsuccessful. Dr. Binning soon found work at a saw mill in Avola and worked there until the end of the summer until a friend helped find him work in a saw mill in North Vancouver. During his free time, he enjoyed camping with friends. In 1970, Dr. Binning left the saw mill after obtaining a job at the post office. The post office offered lower wages than working at the mill but Dr. Binning believed that he would become more educated working here. While working as a postman, Dr. Binning recalls facing a lot of discrimination and racism and was often referred to as a ‘Paki’ multiple times a day. In 1973, Dr. Binning married Jagish Sihota. Sadhu and Jagdish originated from nearby villages in India and met each other in Canada. Dr. Binning’s wife, Jagdish worked at the Royal Bank of Canada for thirty years until her retirement. While working, she also looked after the household and their son and daughter. Jagdish also handwrote a magazine, “Watno Dur’ (English translation: ‘away from homeland’) which was distributed in the community. In 1976, Dr. Binning became the editor of the magazine and the name was later changed to “Watan’ as they had accepted their new homeland of Canada. While working at the post office, Dr. Binning also attended night school starting in eighth grade. After receiving his high school diploma, he was accepted to Simon Fraser University and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree with a double major in Anthropology and Sociology and in 1986 he obtained a Masters degree from Simon Fraser University. While attending university, Dr. Binning was very active within the community and wanted to work to improve society. He first thought that he would return to India to contribute and improve rights in his homeland but upon seeing the prevalence of the movements in Canada, he realized that work needed to be done here too. In 1983, Dr. Binning became a founding member and contributor to a theatrical collective known as “Vancouver Sath”. The theatrical group produced plays that represented societal issues and were invited to perform at multiple conferences throughout British Columbia and Canada. The group focused and acknowledged the many issues in Punjab and in Canada. One of the plays that the group produced focused on the exploitation of Punjabi women who worked on farms in Canada. Dr. Binning continued to be involved as an integral member of Vancouver Sath until 1995. Over the years, Dr. Binning has strongly lobbied for Punjabi language education and between 1988 and 2008 he worked as Punjabi instructor at the University of British Columbia. He first worked as a teaching assistant at UBC under Dr. Harjot Oberoi and due to low wages, he simultaneously worked at the Post Office. In 2019, Dr. Binning received an Honorary Doctor of Letters from UBC in recognition of his work. Since 1973, Dr. Binning has lived in Burnaby and has resided in the same home that he and his wife purchased in 1987. In his free time, he enjoys cycling, watercolour painting, travelling abroad and going on road trips.
Creator
Binning, Dr. Sadhu
Accession Code
BV023.7
Date
[1984]
Media Type
Photograph
Related Material
See also artifacts descriptions for related materials re: Vancouver Sath and Watan magazine: BV023.7.1 to BV023.7.16
Notes
Title based on contents of fonds
Less detail

South Burnaby Garden Club fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription97232
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1983-2012
Collection/Fonds
South Burnaby Garden Club fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
11.2 cm of textual records; 180 col. prints; 119 col. neg.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs and documents created and collected by the South Burnaby Garden Club, detailing Club activities including the Fall Fair.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1983-2012
Collection/Fonds
South Burnaby Garden Club fonds
Physical Description
11.2 cm of textual records; 180 col. prints; 119 col. neg.
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2008-17
2014-14
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs and documents created and collected by the South Burnaby Garden Club, detailing Club activities including the Fall Fair.
History
The South Burnaby Garden Club was formed in 1901 when a group of Central Park residents met to form a Farmers’ Institute. They leased 17 acres of Central Park from the Provincial Government and with the support of government grants constructed a two-story building on the property. The building was constructed in time for the first annual Fall Fair in September 1901. In 1903, the Institute amalgamated with the South Vancouver and Burnaby Agricultural Society to become the Central Park Agricultural Association & Farmers Institute. In 1907, the membership doubled to 520 members. Increasing urbanization and the First World War saw the last exhibition in 1919, and then lease on the building expired in 1921. The Society continued to meet and hold small exhibitions in rented halls under the South Burnaby Horticultural Association name. After several name changes, the association became the South Burnaby Garden Club in 1958 and continues to this day.
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Notes
Photo catalogue 489
MSS124
MSS182
Less detail

Office of the Chief Administrative Officer fonds

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/archivedescription83
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1980-1995
Collection/Fonds
Office of the Chief Administrative Officer fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created by the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (formerly Manager's Office), related to its functions involving corporate management, Community Foundation, and the Centennial Committee.
Repository
City of Burnaby Archives
Date
1980-1995
Collection/Fonds
Office of the Chief Administrative Officer fonds
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records.
Description Level
Fonds
File Class
23000 06 (P 2020; prev. D)
23010 10 (add. 2020; P)
23010 20 (add. 2020; P)
23010 30 (add. 2020; P)
23020 02 (add. 2020; P)
23020 05 (add. 2020; P)
23020 06 (add. 2020; P)
23020 10 (P 2020; prev. D)
23020 15 (add. 2020; P)
23020 20 (add. 2020; P)
23300 10 (add. 2020; P)
23300 20 (add. 2020; P)
23400 10 (add. 2020; P)
23400 20 (add. 2020; P)
23400 30 (add. 2020; P)
23500 01 (add. 2020; P)
23500 20 (add. 2020; P)
23500 30 (add. 2020; P)
Access Restriction
Subject to FOIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FOIPPA
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created by the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (formerly Manager's Office), related to its functions involving corporate management, Community Foundation, and the Centennial Committee.
History
September 7, 2021, the Office of the City Manager was renamed the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer and the position of City Manager replaced with Chief Administrative Officer. Leon A. Gous was appointed the City’s first Chief Administrative Officer and Noreen Kassam was appointed the first Deputy Chief Administrative Officer.
Media Type
Textual Record
Creator
City of Burnaby
Notes
Fonds was previously titled Manager’s Office fonds. It was retitled to Office of the Chief Administrative Officer in 2021 to reflect the department’s name change.
Less detail

156 records – page 1 of 8.