796 records – page 3 of 40.

BCSME locomotive at Burnaby Village Museum

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription12370
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1990]
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. print ; 9 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of people riding on a miniature train at the Burnaby Village Museum. The train is a part of the BC Society of Model Engineers (BCSME).
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Museum photographs series
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. print ; 9 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of people riding on a miniature train at the Burnaby Village Museum. The train is a part of the BC Society of Model Engineers (BCSME).
History
The BC Society of Model Engineers (BCSME) was formed in 1929 by a group of model train enthusiasts who loved to create minature locomotives. For many years, the club didn't have a track of it's own and relied on private members tracks to run their trains. In 1975, the society found a home on the site of the Burnaby Village Museum where they built a model railway track and station. On July 1, 1975 BCSME opened up to the public enabling them to have a ride on their minature trains. In 1991, BCSME closed their tracks at the Burnaby Village Museum. They relocated to a seven acre site near Confederation Park and reopened to the public on July 1, 1993.
Subjects
Transportation - Rail
Names
Burnaby Village Museum
BC Society of Model Engineers (BCSME)
Accession Code
BV020.5.23
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Date
[1990]
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
25-Mar-20
Scale
100
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
Images
Less detail

BC Society of Model Engineers

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription12866
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[between 1990 and 1993]
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 12.5 x 12.5 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of members of the British Columbia Society of Model Engineers (BCSME). The group is gathered inside of an unidentified building next to a model train track.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Museum photographs series
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 12.5 x 12.5 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of members of the British Columbia Society of Model Engineers (BCSME). The group is gathered inside of an unidentified building next to a model train track.
Subjects
Transportation - Rail
Names
Jewall, Colin
BC Society of Model Engineers (BCSME)
Accession Code
BV020.5.530
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
[between 1990 and 1993]
Media Type
Photograph
Photographer
Jewall, Colin
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
Printed label on verso reads: " Colin Jewall Photo Studio / 303-1200 West 10th Avenue / Vancouver BC Canada V6H 1J3 / (604) 877-0071 - 24 hours / N o. 2211-5-5 / Copyright"
Images
Less detail

B.C. Summer Games series

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription15420
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1979]-1997
Collection/Fonds
Donald Copan collection
Description Level
Series
Physical Description
4 photographs + 1 post card + 1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of a small collection of photographs and textual records collected by Donald Copan regarding B.C. Summer Games taking place in Burnaby in 1984 and 1997.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Donald Copan collection
Series
B.C. Summer Games series
Description Level
Series
Physical Description
4 photographs + 1 post card + 1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of a small collection of photographs and textual records collected by Donald Copan regarding B.C. Summer Games taking place in Burnaby in 1984 and 1997.
Accession Code
BV021.4
Date
[1979]-1997
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of the series
See also B.C. Summer Games artifacts BV021.4.1 to BV021.4.12 & BV021.4.21; BV021.4.25; BV021.4.26
Less detail

Bedroom in Love farmhouse

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription12257
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
November 29 1998
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of the main floor bedroom inside of the Love farmhouse. A large brass bed sits at the centre with a wash stand to the left and wardrobe to the right. Photograph was taken on the Opening Day of the Love farmhouse exhibit.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Jesse Love farmhouse series
Subseries
Love farmhouse restoration photographs subseries
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of the main floor bedroom inside of the Love farmhouse. A large brass bed sits at the centre with a wash stand to the left and wardrobe to the right. Photograph was taken on the Opening Day of the Love farmhouse exhibit.
Names
Burnaby Village Museum
Accession Code
BV018.41.1049
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Date
November 29 1998
Media Type
Photograph
Related Material
See BV018.41.86 for File level description
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
4-Aug-2020
Scale
100
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
Photograph is a part of photograph album BV018.41.86 (file level description is available)
Images
Less detail

Bee hives in the Wuzinski family backyard

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription9685
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
2004
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph (tiff) : col.
Scope and Content
Bee hives in the Wuzinski family backyard at Cliff Avenue and Curtis Avenue.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph (tiff) : col.
Scope and Content
Bee hives in the Wuzinski family backyard at Cliff Avenue and Curtis Avenue.
History
John and Frances Wuzinski moved from Manitoba to Burnaby in 1944, where they purchased an acre of land on the corner of Hastings Street and Cliff Avenue. They had two daughters: Janice and Mary Louise. They grew berries, fruit and vegetables for home and for sale, and raised bees. People came from miles around to purchase strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes and honey. In 1962 the Wuzinski property was expropriated by the Municipality of Burnaby, and the family purchased another property nearby. They started a new garden, brought the bees, and transplanted several trees to the new property.
Other Title Information
title based on content
Names
Bobic, Janice
Wuzinski, John
Accession Code
BV018.39.1
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
2004
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
01-04-2015
Images
Less detail

Bell's building photographs subseries

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17003
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1974-1995
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Subseries
Physical Description
96 photographs
Scope and Content
Subseries consists of photographs documenting the move, restoration, repairs and upgrades of the Whitechurch Hardware - Bell's Dry Goods building at it's original location on Sixth Street as well as on site at Burnaby Village Museum. Also includes exterior views of the building on site.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Bell's Dry Goods exhibit series
Subseries
Bell's building photographs subseries
Description Level
Subseries
Physical Description
96 photographs
Scope and Content
Subseries consists of photographs documenting the move, restoration, repairs and upgrades of the Whitechurch Hardware - Bell's Dry Goods building at it's original location on Sixth Street as well as on site at Burnaby Village Museum. Also includes exterior views of the building on site.
Names
Burnaby Village Museum
Accession Code
BV020.5
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
1974-1995
Media Type
Photograph
Notes
Title based on content of subseries
Less detail

Bell's Dry Goods exhibit collection series

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription16990
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1974-2012, predominant 1974-1996
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Series
Physical Description
129 photographs + 10 cm of textual records + approx. 6 architectural drawings + 1 video recording
Scope and Content
Series consists of records pertaining to the moving, restoration, exhibit and repair of the Bell's Dry Goods store and Whitechurch Hardware store building that was relocated from Sixth Avenue to Heritage Village (Burnaby Village Museum) in 1974. The building was set up as a permanent exhibit on sit…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Bell's Dry Goods exhibit series
Description Level
Series
Physical Description
129 photographs + 10 cm of textual records + approx. 6 architectural drawings + 1 video recording
Scope and Content
Series consists of records pertaining to the moving, restoration, exhibit and repair of the Bell's Dry Goods store and Whitechurch Hardware store building that was relocated from Sixth Avenue to Heritage Village (Burnaby Village Museum) in 1974. The building was set up as a permanent exhibit on site at Burnaby Village Museum. The majority of the records were created by museum and City of Burnaby staff. Series is arranged into four subseries: 1) Restoration, upgrades and repairs subseries 2) Bell's building photographs subseries 3) Bell's exhibit photographs subseries 4) Bell's research files subseries
History
The Bell's Dry Goods building was built in 1922 by Clifford Tuckey with a small lean to structure on the back housing a kitchen and bedroom. The building was located on the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Thirteenth Avenue in Burnaby. William Bell (1884-1952) and Flora Bell (nee Connell) (1889-1953) immigrated to Burnaby from Scotland between 1917 and 1918. In about 1924, the building was purchased by William and Flora Bell. Flora operated "Bell's Dry Goods" store out of the building and the couple lived at the back of the store. William worked as a driver for a local lumber mill. Bell's Dry Goods was in operation in this one storey building between 1925 and 1937 with the building address, 1314 Sixth Street (later 7695 Sixth Street). In 1927, they moved to a house located on Thirteenth Avenue while they converted the back of the store to include the East Burnaby Post Office. In 1937, the Bells moved the one storey "Bell's Dry Goods" building a little further north and built a two storey building on the corner. Flora continued to operate Bell's Dry Goods on the ground level of the new building until 1941 and the couple lived upstairs. The new two storey building assumed the address of 1314 Sixth Street (later 7695 Sixth Street) and the older one storey building obtained a new address of 1316 Sixth Street (later 7685 Sixth Street). The East Burnaby Post Office continued to operate at 1314 Sixth Street until about 1954. On December 1, 1937, Maurice Whitechurch moved his Whitechurch Hardware store into the one storey building which he rented out from the Bells. In 1943, Maurice Whitechurch purchased the building from the Bells and Whitechurch Hardware store continued to operated at this location until the Spring of 1973. In June 1973, Mr. Fergie Will bought the store and the building was donated to Heritage Village (Burnaby Village Museum). In August 1974, the building was relocated from it's location on Sixth Avenue to Heritage Village. Sometime prior to the move, the extension at the rear of the building was removed. After the building was moved to Heritage Village, some exterior repairs were completed including the installation of exterior siding at the rear of the building and installation of large wood sliding door. The building opened as a carpentry shop exhibit in 1975. In March 1976, an extension at the rear of the building was rebuilt by museum staff. The building underwent several repairs and restorations between 1992 and 1996 and was closed to the public. Due to structural problems, the extension was demolished in 1992. Between 1993 and 1996, the building underwent a series of exterior and interior structural repairs to restore it to Bell's Dry Goods store which included the rebuilding of the extension at the rear of the building and the moving of the building onto a new foundation. The newly restored building opened as Bell's Dry Goods store (exhibit) on August 6, 1996. On November 23, 1992, the building was designated a heritage building under Heritage Designation Bylaw 1992, Bylaw Number 9807.
Accession Code
BV019.52
BV020.5
Date
1974-2012, predominant 1974-1996
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Architectural Drawing
Notes
Title based on contents of series
Further accruals are expected
Some records within this collection are subject to FIPPA
For other records and photographs associated with this building, see also Century Park Museum Association fonds and Burnaby Village Museum fonds and Jesse Love farmhouse fonds
Less detail

Bell's exhibit photographs subseries

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17004
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1996-1997
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Subseries
Physical Description
33 photographs
Scope and Content
Subseries consists of photographs of the interior of Bell's Dry Goods store on site at Burnaby Village Museum. Photographs include various artifacts, furnishings, fabrics, notions and articles of clothing on exhibit inside the store.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Bell's Dry Goods exhibit series
Subseries
Bell's exhibit photographs subseries
Description Level
Subseries
Physical Description
33 photographs
Scope and Content
Subseries consists of photographs of the interior of Bell's Dry Goods store on site at Burnaby Village Museum. Photographs include various artifacts, furnishings, fabrics, notions and articles of clothing on exhibit inside the store.
Names
Burnaby Village Museum
Accession Code
BV020.5
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
1996-1997
Media Type
Photograph
Notes
Title based on content of series
Less detail

Bell's research files subseries

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17005
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1996-1997
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Subseries
Physical Description
textual records + video recording + photographs : copy prints
Scope and Content
Subseries consists of historical research pertaining to the history of the Bell's Dry Goods store and Whitechurch Hardware store and their owners. Series includes research notes, correspondence, reports and interviews.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Bell's Dry Goods exhibit series
Subseries
Bell's research files subseries
Description Level
Subseries
Physical Description
textual records + video recording + photographs : copy prints
Scope and Content
Subseries consists of historical research pertaining to the history of the Bell's Dry Goods store and Whitechurch Hardware store and their owners. Series includes research notes, correspondence, reports and interviews.
Names
Burnaby Village Museum
Accession Code
BV020.5
Access Restriction
Subject to FIPPA
Reproduction Restriction
Reproductions subject to FIPPA
Date
1996-1997
Media Type
Textual Record
Moving Images
Photograph
Notes
Title based on content of subseries
Less detail

Betty Forbes, Barbara Copan, Don Copan and Daphne Carr at Museum 40th anniversary

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription9569
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
11 June 2011
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 jpeg image
Scope and Content
Photograph taken by Museum staff photographer Leanne Scherp during an event to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Burnaby Village Museum on June 11, 2011.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum fonds
Series
Museum photographs series
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 jpeg image
Scope and Content
Photograph taken by Museum staff photographer Leanne Scherp during an event to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Burnaby Village Museum on June 11, 2011.
History
Betty Forbes and Barbara Copan standing in back with Don Copan and Daphne Carr seated in front. They were among the guests at the Burnaby VIllage Museum's 40th anniversary celebrations.
Other Title Information
Title based on contents of photograph.
Subjects
Events - Anniversaries
Names
Copan, Donald Angus "Don"
Accession Code
BV018.14.17
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
11 June 2011
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
300
Scale
96
Photographer
Scherp, Leanne
Notes
Transferred from museum records storage to collection on June 7, 2018.
Images
Less detail

Bill Henderson working on carousel horse named The Colonel

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17628
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteer Bill Henderson making a repair to C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel horse named The Colonel (no. 32). Restoration work took place at the Texaco warehouse located at the base of Burnaby Mountain on Burrard Inlet.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteer Bill Henderson making a repair to C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel horse named The Colonel (no. 32). Restoration work took place at the Texaco warehouse located at the base of Burnaby Mountain on Burrard Inlet.
Subjects
Recreational Devices - Carousels
Names
Henderson, Bill
Accession Code
BV012.1.82
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
2021-05-19
Photographer
Diamond, Faye Stebner
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
1 col. negative accomanying from Roll #5A
Images
Less detail

Blacksmith shop building at Oakalla Prison Farm

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17852
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
1991
Collection/Fonds
Oakalla Prison collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. negative ; 35 mm
Scope and Content
Photograph of old blacksmith shop building at Oakalla Prison Farm (Lower Mainland Regional Correctional Centre). Acccording to photographer, this building was later used as a "Doukhobor hut". Photograph was taken during Oakalla Prison Open House event.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Oakalla Prison collection
Series
Oakalla documentary photographs and video series
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. negative ; 35 mm
Scope and Content
Photograph of old blacksmith shop building at Oakalla Prison Farm (Lower Mainland Regional Correctional Centre). Acccording to photographer, this building was later used as a "Doukhobor hut". Photograph was taken during Oakalla Prison Open House event.
Subjects
Public Services - Correctional
Names
Oakalla Prison Farm
Lower Mainland Regional Correctional Centre
Geographic Access
Oakmount Crescent
Street Address
5220 Oakmount Crescent
Accession Code
BV991.45.636
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Date
1991
Media Type
Photograph
Historic Neighbourhood
Burnaby Lake (Historic Neighbourhood)
Planning Study Area
Oakalla Area
Photographer
Stevens, Colin
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
Photograph negative #17 from Roll 91-8
1 col. copy print accompanying
Note in black ink on verso of accompanying copy print reads: "P91-8-17"
Note in blue in ink on verso of accompanying copy print reads: "OLD BLACKSMITH SHOP / LATER DUKABOR HUT"
Images
Less detail

Bob Watts and Faye Diamond working on carousel horse

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17701
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteers Bob Watts and Faye Stebner Diamond working on carousel horse from the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Bob appears to be carving a section of the horse. Restoration work on the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel took place at the Texaco warehouse located at the base of B…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteers Bob Watts and Faye Stebner Diamond working on carousel horse from the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Bob appears to be carving a section of the horse. Restoration work on the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel took place at the Texaco warehouse located at the base of Burnaby Mountain on Burrard Inlet.
Subjects
Recreational Devices - Carousels
Names
Diamond, Faye Stebner
Watts, Bob
Accession Code
BV012.1.155
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
2021-05-19
Photographer
Diamond, Ken
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
1 col. negative accomanying from Roll #7A
Images
Less detail

Bob Watts and Marie McIlhiney at work repairing a carousel horse

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17717
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 15 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteers Bob Watts and Marie McIlhiney at work repairing a horse from C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Parts from a carousel horse are sitting on top of a work bench. Restoration work on the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel and the Wurlitzer band organ took place at the Texaco…
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 15 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteers Bob Watts and Marie McIlhiney at work repairing a horse from C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Parts from a carousel horse are sitting on top of a work bench. Restoration work on the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel and the Wurlitzer band organ took place at the Texaco warehouse located at the base of Burnaby Mountain on Burrard Inlet.
Subjects
Recreational Devices - Carousels
Names
McIlhiney, Marie
Watts, Bob
Accession Code
BV012.1.171
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
2021-05-19
Photographer
Diamond, Faye Stebner
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
1 col. negative accomanying from Roll #7A
Images
Less detail

Bob Watts making repairs to carousel horse named Champion

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription17670
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteer Bob Watts making repairs to C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel horse named Champion (no. 3). Restoration work on the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel took place at the Texaco warehouse located at the base of Burnaby Mountain on Burrard Inlet.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteer Bob Watts making repairs to C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel horse named Champion (no. 3). Restoration work on the C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel took place at the Texaco warehouse located at the base of Burnaby Mountain on Burrard Inlet.
Subjects
Recreational Devices - Carousels
Names
Watts, Bob
Accession Code
BV012.1.124
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
2021-05-19
Photographer
Diamond, Faye Stebner
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
1 col. negative accomanying from Roll #3C
Images
Less detail

Bob Watts making repairs to horse from C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription18126
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteer Restoration volunteer Bob Watts making repairs to a horse from C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Bob is holding a chisel and wooden mallet to carve a section of the horse's mane.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Faye Diamond fonds
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of restoration volunteer Restoration volunteer Bob Watts making repairs to a horse from C.W. Parker no. 119 carousel. Bob is holding a chisel and wooden mallet to carve a section of the horse's mane.
Subjects
Recreational Devices - Carousels
Names
Watts, Bob
Accession Code
BV012.1.246
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
May be restricted by third party rights
Date
[between 1990 and 1992]
Media Type
Photograph
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
2021-05-19
Photographer
Diamond, Faye Stebner
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
1 col. negative accomanying from Roll #10
Images
Less detail

Building at New Haven

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription13534
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
Jan. 2001
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 5.3 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of three storey building at New Haven Correctional Centre.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 5.3 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of three storey building at New Haven Correctional Centre.
History
In 1937 New Haven Correctional Centre was established as the British Columbia Training School on the southeast side of Marine Drive in Burnaby (4250 Marine Drive). Sections of Sussex and Patterson Avenues bordered the estate. Originally, the facility housed nineteen inmates with two staff and was one of the first initiatives in Canada to segregate young adult inmates into a separate institution apart from adults. This was part of the Borstal system that started in England whereby young male offenders between the ages of sixteen and twenty one were trained to earn an honest living. Alterations and additions to the estate took place between December 1937 and October 1939 so that more inmates could be accomodated. Five new cottages were built that could hold up to forty people. Except for the plastering and lighting, all work on the new cottages was done by the inmates. On October 29, 1939, the Lieutenant-Governor Eric Hamber formally opened the New Haven Borstal School. World War II interrupted full development of the intstitution and it was closed in 1941 when the inmates were were conscripted into the army. Between 1941 and 1947 the Deaf and Blind Institute were housed at New Haven. In 1947, the New Haven Borstal School returned to the estate. New additions were added to old buildings and new additional buildings were erected on the site over the years including a warden's house on the east grounds and a barn and gymnasium. In the 1970s an equipment shed was added along with another dormitory and a variety of small sheds and storage buildings. The correctional centre officially closed in March 2001.
Subjects
Public Services - Correctional
Names
New Haven Correctional Centre
Geographic Access
Marine Drive
Street Address
4250 Marine Drive
Accession Code
BV020.5.877
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Date
Jan. 2001
Media Type
Photograph
Historic Neighbourhood
Fraser Arm (Historic Neighbourhood)
Planning Study Area
Suncrest Area
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
25-Aug-2020
Scale
100
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
Photograph processing stamp on front of photograph reads: "'01_1_13"
Historical information based on notes from Mary Forsyth's research notes "New Haven" MSS185-018
Images
Less detail

Building rooftops and grounds at New Haven

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription13542
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
Jan. 2001
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 5.3 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of building rooftops and grounds at New Haven Correctional Centre.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 5.3 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of building rooftops and grounds at New Haven Correctional Centre.
History
In 1937 New Haven Correctional Centre was established as the British Columbia Training School on the southeast side of Marine Drive in Burnaby (4250 Marine Drive). Sections of Sussex and Patterson Avenues bordered the estate. Originally, the facility housed nineteen inmates with two staff and was one of the first initiatives in Canada to segregate young adult inmates into a separate institution apart from adults. This was part of the Borstal system that started in England whereby young male offenders between the ages of sixteen and twenty one were trained to earn an honest living. Alterations and additions to the estate took place between December 1937 and October 1939 so that more inmates could be accomodated. Five new cottages were built that could hold up to forty people. Except for the plastering and lighting, all work on the new cottages was done by the inmates. On October 29, 1939, the Lieutenant-Governor Eric Hamber formally opened the New Haven Borstal School. World War II interrupted full development of the intstitution and it was closed in 1941 when the inmates were were conscripted into the army. Between 1941 and 1947 the Deaf and Blind Institute were housed at New Haven. In 1947, the New Haven Borstal School returned to the estate. New additions were added to old buildings and new additional buildings were erected on the site over the years including a warden's house on the east grounds and a barn and gymnasium. In the 1970s an equipment shed was added along with another dormitory and a variety of small sheds and storage buildings. The correctional centre officially closed in March 2001.
Subjects
Public Services - Correctional
Names
New Haven Correctional Centre
Geographic Access
Marine Drive
Street Address
4250 Marine Drive
Accession Code
BV020.5.885
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Date
Jan. 2001
Media Type
Photograph
Historic Neighbourhood
Fraser Arm (Historic Neighbourhood)
Planning Study Area
Suncrest Area
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
25-Aug-2020
Scale
100
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
Photograph processing stamp on front of photograph reads: "'01_1_13"
Historical information based on notes from Mary Forsyth's research notes "New Haven" MSS185-018
Images
Less detail

Buildings at New Haven

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription13536
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
Jan. 2001
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 5.3 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of workshop and main house at New Haven Correctional Centre. The workshop has two large double doors with a concrete driveway in front.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Village Museum Photograph collection
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 5.3 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of workshop and main house at New Haven Correctional Centre. The workshop has two large double doors with a concrete driveway in front.
History
In 1937 New Haven Correctional Centre was established as the British Columbia Training School on the southeast side of Marine Drive in Burnaby (4250 Marine Drive). Sections of Sussex and Patterson Avenues bordered the estate. Originally, the facility housed nineteen inmates with two staff and was one of the first initiatives in Canada to segregate young adult inmates into a separate institution apart from adults. This was part of the Borstal system that started in England whereby young male offenders between the ages of sixteen and twenty one were trained to earn an honest living. Alterations and additions to the estate took place between December 1937 and October 1939 so that more inmates could be accomodated. Five new cottages were built that could hold up to forty people. Except for the plastering and lighting, all work on the new cottages was done by the inmates. On October 29, 1939, the Lieutenant-Governor Eric Hamber formally opened the New Haven Borstal School. World War II interrupted full development of the intstitution and it was closed in 1941 when the inmates were were conscripted into the army. Between 1941 and 1947 the Deaf and Blind Institute were housed at New Haven. In 1947, the New Haven Borstal School returned to the estate. New additions were added to old buildings and new additional buildings were erected on the site over the years including a warden's house on the east grounds and a barn and gymnasium. In the 1970s an equipment shed was added along with another dormitory and a variety of small sheds and storage buildings. The correctional centre officially closed in March 2001.
Subjects
Public Services - Correctional
Names
New Haven Correctional Centre
Geographic Access
Marine Drive
Street Address
4250 Marine Drive
Accession Code
BV020.5.879
Access Restriction
No restrictions
Reproduction Restriction
No known restrictions
Date
Jan. 2001
Media Type
Photograph
Historic Neighbourhood
Fraser Arm (Historic Neighbourhood)
Planning Study Area
Suncrest Area
Scan Resolution
600
Scan Date
25-Aug-2020
Scale
100
Notes
Title based on contents of photograph
Photograph processing stamp on front of photograph reads: "'01_1_13"
Historical information based on notes from Mary Forsyth's research notes "New Haven" MSS185-018
Images
Less detail

Burnaby Girl Guides administrative records and histories series

https://search.heritageburnaby.ca/link/museumdescription18955
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Date
[1920]-2002
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Girl Guides fonds
Description Level
Series
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records + 33 photographs
Scope and Content
Series consists of administrative records and histories pertaining to the Burnaby Girl Guides. Records include correspondence, histories, biographies and cancelled warrants for Girl Guide commissioners.
Repository
Burnaby Village Museum
Collection/Fonds
Burnaby Girl Guides fonds
Series
Burnaby Girl Guides administrative records and histories series
Description Level
Series
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records + 33 photographs
Scope and Content
Series consists of administrative records and histories pertaining to the Burnaby Girl Guides. Records include correspondence, histories, biographies and cancelled warrants for Girl Guide commissioners.
Names
Girl Guides of Canada
Accession Code
BV015.35
BV016.49
Date
[1920]-2002
Media Type
Photograph
Textual Record
Notes
Title based on contents of series
Less detail

796 records – page 3 of 40.