Oval shaped coiled cedar root basket with cedar slat foundation. Overcast rim with remnants of a loopwork border. Decorated with vertical stripes of imbricated designs in canary grass and black dyed cherry bark. Cherry bark can be distinguished by the small eyes in the surface of the bark. If the basket maker is skilled the bark has a shiny appearance, if it has not been scraped properly it has a greyish tinge. Canary grass is differentiated from cattail and bear grass by its shiny appearance according to a Stó:lō/Stl’atl’imx elder and basket maker from Mount Currie, who was married into Upper Sḵwx̱wú7mesh.
Basket, ca. 1895-1910, from the collection of the L. Claude Hill family, who owned the property that became the Burnaby Village Museum. According to the Hill family, L. Claude's wife Anne Sarah Hill (nee Kendrick) traded blankets for baskets, although it is not known if this particular basket was obtained in this manner. Indigenous people travelled the trail that crossed Deer Lake Brook (Douglas Road / Canada Way).
Measurements: width 31.5 cm and length 51.5 cm and depth 19.5 cm all measured from top edge to outside of basket, not including trim.