The Big Bend Neighbourhood in Burnaby maintained its status as an important agricultural area in the City in the years following 1955 and it also solidified its role as a prime industrial and commercial district. In 1972, the Big Bend Development Plan was adopted by Council and soon thereafter, approximately 620 acres of land were incorporated into the Agricultural Land Reserve. These lands have been set aside for agricultural and limited recreation purposes. By the 2000s, 160 acres of land were considered highly productive agricultural areas, and over 400 acres of land had been secured as parkland, including the Fraser Foreshore Park. The area also developed large commercial and industrial districts including those at Marine Way/Boundary, the Glenlyon Estates, Riverfront Business Park, Burnaby Business Park, and Glenwood Industrial Estates.