By 1961, three new elementary schools had been built in the northeast section of Burnaby - Armstrong, Seaforth, and Lyndhurst. With growing enrolment at each, too many students were required to travel a farther distance to attend Edmonds Junior High School. As a result, the Cariboo Hill Secondary School was built in 1961 and opened with 410 students. Its peak enrolment was during the 1974 school year when over 1100 students attended. Additions to the school were made in 1969, 1971 and 1974.