The City of Burnaby Archives officially opened on Saturday, November 10, 2001. The Archives is Burnaby's first municipal archives, and is located in the McGill Branch Library. The City Archives functions as a branch of the Office of the City Clerk and operates as the official repository of Burnaby's municipal records, containing records dating back to Burnaby's incorporation in 1892. In 2007, the City of Burnaby Archives expanded its collection mandate to include private as well as public records. On February 14, 2007 an agreement was signed with the Burnaby Historical Society and, as a result, the Archives accepted into its custody the collection of community records that had been maintained and managed by the Historical Society since the 1950s. In the Spring of 2007, these records were transferred from the Burnaby Village Museum to their permanent home in the Archives facility.