The site of St. Stephen's Anglican Church is one of the historic landmarks of old Burquitlam. Originally this was part of the Alexander and Ethel Evans farm, Saint Phillians. Initial services for the church were held in the Evans home and later in the Burquitlam school. Alexander Evans donated this site to the Anglican Church in trust with the wish that it become a future church and consecrated ground for a family burial plot. In 1913, the parish raised the funds to build the first church. St. Stephen's was consecrated by Bishop de Pencier on September 28, 1913.