After New Westminster was established as the Capital City, the surrounding lands were surveyed by the Royal Engineers. The discovery of Burnaby Lake by Robert Burnaby in 1859 soon led to the construction of Douglas Road to Deer Lake in 1861. The completion of the tramline in 1891 renewed interest in the lands around both Burnaby Lake and Deer Lake and soon a group of gentlemen farmers had established strawberry fields and orchards to serve the New Westminster market. These were the most productive and well managed "fruit ranches" in the Fraser Valley. Local strawberries were so admired that they commanded 50 cents more per crate at local markets. One local paper reported that the area appeared as if "an English Village had been taken and planted amidst the grandeur of British Columbia scenery."