Designed for James Herd (1863-1940) and his wife, Mary Jane Barrie Herd (née Fenton, 1870-1956), this house was described “as a fine new home valued at… $7,000” by The British Columbian in 1912. Named after Mrs. Herd’s birthplace in the Strathmore Valley, Scotland, this was one of the first homes to be built in the Vancouver Heights subdivision. A full width verandah takes advantage of remarkable views of downtown Vancouver and Burrard Inlet. Though the architecture of the house has been altered by the addition of stucco cladding and the replacement of the original windows, it remains an excellent example of the Craftsman style, with the triangular eave brackets, granite clad verandah piers, square support columns and varied roofline with broad eaves that are characteristic of the style. It was the long-time residence of Joseph Wellington Kelly (1876-1962), a stationary engineer, and his wife Margaret Ann Kelly (née Allan, 1880-1968), who were married in Vancouver in 1901. Their son, Allan C. Kelly (died 2001) was an architect, who worked for the architectural firm Townley & Matheson from 1928 until the 1970s. Among many other projects undertaken for the firm, Allan Kelly was the project architect for Vancouver City Hall.